You called it with Pink Mercy

They’re still trying to promote the game yet there’s a lot of things wrong with it.

You are like, actually mad right now and I have no idea why?? :joy: its not even that deep. I’m aggravated but I’ve long since lost any genuine investment in this game. I am not the only person upset by blizz going the “pay for cosmetics” route with overwatch. I dont know anything about their other games because I’ve never played any of their other games; but I dont like the precedent this sets.

people said Pink Mercy was the gateway to this, I defended it very heavily at the time and even the lucio emote but to a much lesser degree [since that was for the actual OWL pass]-- but this feels like a cashgrab when we already have a drought of new content and a lackluster event. It is less about the skins themselves and moreso that “hey instead of helping the base game, here’s new stuff locked behind money and OWL again.”

But drag me I guess :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

whats wrong with it?

I bought Atlantic Tracer because, hello? - I’m a lesbian with the name oceanman. This skin gives Tracer, a lesbian hero, an ocean theme. I think that’s funny, anyway…

Don’t regret it, and I liked the SFX but I was disappointed to learn Genji didn’t have any (I’m pretty sure)

The Skin is still ugly to most of us lol regardless.

Actually, if you boil it down, the idea is simple:

Blizzard offers a unique skin for a hero in return for a payment.

Up to us to decide if the skin offered is valuable enough to pay the amount set for it.

So far I spent $$$ on either lootboxes or direct purchase to get two specific skins, and I did think things thoroughly before committing to the purchase. Therefore, I have no regrets about either purchases.

Make your own decision.

I mean, they kinda have to do it, they’re told to, kinda have to do it to keep their jobs… ya know?

The issue I have with OWL skins is they’re recolors behind a pay/waste time watching OWL wall. They could have given us color sliders for skins, but instead we got OWL skins.

My favorite colors are green and black not much in the way of default skins that have both colors. I like the Houston outlaw skins (wish they didn’t have white on them) so I’ve wasted my time watching OWL to try to get skins for heroes that don’t have skins I like.

There’s some skins that are good enough where the colors don’t matter to me. But there’s some where I like the skin but not the colors it has. For example Ana’s Shrike skin I would love a green and black version or a color slider so I could change it myself.

Don’t be sorry, own it. Own it with pride.

I was hyped for pink mercy, she looked cute and hot as hell and I wanted to buy her so bad. But I only had around 0.26€ at my account so that was off the table. Later the token thing came. I bought the two skins with it since you were able to get 100 free tokens somewhere or something and left it be.

Now this. Now I’ve gotta say, I don’t want to buy any skin. I don’t even open lootboxes anymore since I’ve got 4 duplicates in the last 10 or 20.

And I am glad I didn’t spend the 15 bucks on that skin, because as it turns out, only the smallest part of the money was donated to the charity, I would estimate a rough 10%. And that’s rather generous, normally something like this goes with <1%.

I saved some money and thought “yep, next time there is something like this, I’ma do it” and next thing you know, I donated 15€ to “To Write Love On Her Arms” via MrSuicideSheeps charity stream. Because he actually donated the whole raised sum of the money.

1 Like

Oh my god.

Blizzard is not an starving indie company. They are an multi-million dollar triple A company that has made an untold amount of money off this game, let-alone the rest of their franchises.

There is no excuse for Blizzard to put microtransactions in a full priced game, paywalling cosmetics, or gating content behind events.

Smaller companies would of gotten crucified for pulling half the BS that Blizzard has pulled during this games lifetime. The fact people are so willing to defend Blizzard on this is concerning, they started a lot of the microtransaction practices you will likely complain about in other games.

4 Likes

Sigh…

“I don’t agree with these bussiness practices so this morning I paid 'em 10 bux, that’ll show 'em!”

This is why speaking with your wallet doesn’t even matter anymore, you just know the rest will do it anyway ^^

3 Likes

Honestly? I’d take earning the two new skins on HOTS over paying outright for them. This coming from a guy who isn’t even a MOBA fan.

But instead of buying the skins and complaining about buying them, just don’t buy them. Let Blizzard know that you’re not going to spend your hard earned money unlocking every single paywall they put up in front of skins. If enough of us do that they should cut out this bullsh*t.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of people say in the past that the Pink Mercy skin was not only for making awareness for breast cancer, but behind the scenes it was allowing Activision Blizzard to test how much people are willing to straight up pay for skins so they can make a profit for next time.

I first thought that was stupid and Blizzard wouldn’t be that bad, but now I don’t know how I feel about this situation.

2 Likes

Seems to be a bit of both.
It certainly started the idea that its acceptable.
Just think how scummy it was to hide it under a charity event…then we got the lucio emote, now the gengu and tracer skins.
We probably aren’t going to get any more events (apart from adding to the uprising thing and more and more unlockables are going to be locked behind OWL paywalls.

If they do what they did with Oni and Officer, then they’ll hopefully add Lucio’s emote, Pink Mercy, and All-Star Genji and Tracer to the base Lootboxes. Extremely unlikely though because Bliz needs the ca-ash.

Blizzard now knows they can milk their players for every penny they own and get away with it.

Heaven and Earth could collide and they still wouldn’t stop with their pay walls

3 Likes

The problem is not the fact that are paying cosmetics. The problem is, they made the most lame and stupid skins for the event and now they made this two incredible skins for this OWL thing. So now we know where is all the work and effort go. Luckily, I don’t play Genji or Tracer, but yeah, I’m quite angry about it. Doesn’t feel right.

3 Likes

Being able to buy the skins directly rather than afk stream OWL is a far better option. And you technically have both options.

You can complain about the price point though.

Is adding paid content something that’s going to kill the game for me? No

Is it something that we should find concerning because of it’s clash with OW’s previous “All content included” stance? Definitely

Yeah it was stuff you could buy with in game currency or get by chance but it was all available to you. This could be a dangerous precedent. That being said I could down with paid content if that money would find it’s way towards funding new content and faster bug fixes/ balancing

4 Likes

Plenty of people still buy lootboxes, especially around event time because they really want that new skin.
Especially people with really good incomes, generally they spend a lot more time working and so they have no issue splurging on lootboxes because the way they see it:
This game is fun and I would like to have the nice things but to get those things it would require a lot more time that I don’t really have, so I will just treat myself to some lootboxes so I might get the skin or at least get enough money.

As someone who has less of a flexible income, I have no intention of buying these skins or buying lootboxes, but I appreciate that there are options for people who have less time on their hands. I see less problem with the ability to buy lootboxes, but do have a problem with this paywall crap.
At this point, the better compromise is letting people pay real money to just buy the skins they want and just throw everything in the lootboxes, but in the end the lootbox method would make Blizzard more money. I guarantee if they stuck those two skins in lootboxes, some people would have bought a ton of boxes just to try and get Hotdog Mouth and Little Sp*rm Swimming Blue Water Hair.