Xbox Wireless Controller Bug (OW2)

Overwatch 2 Beta (Edit: now Overwatch 2)
Platform: Xbox Series X

Controller: Standard Series X Wireless Controller

Headset: Official Xbox Chat Headset (mono)

Display settings: Performance Mode (see below)

Here’s a bit of a strange one that I haven’t heard many people talking about. About once a match, my controller will act as if it’s disconnected. I lose control of my character (walking into walls, constantly spinning etc). The guide button is lit the whole time, and I can hear party chat through my headphones, but the controller is otherwise completely unresponsive. I can’t even bring up the guide. The only way I can fix it is by manually removing and replacing the battery pack, which seemingly forces the controller to reconnect.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: It doesn’t do this if my controller is plugged directly into the console. I’m also using a wired headset plugged in to the controller (mono, official Microsoft chat headset), some people below have mentioned they’re also using a wired headset.

Edit 2: Some people have been linking this bug to the 120fps performance mode in combination with a plugged in mic. Deep Rock Galactic had this bug when they implemented a 120hz mode patch, though that seems to have been fixed since - so it is hopefully a fixable bug.

37 Likes

I am also experiencing the same thing it gets so bad that i sometimes lose complete control of everything in overwatch and only overwatch i can bring the xbox home up but in game no buttons work makes the game unplayable when this happens

3 Likes

Same here, I’ve tried plugging the controller into the console directly, no issue after that change yet.

3 Likes

I am also having that issue, purchased two new controllers, it doesn’t happen on xbox one controllers but the newer ones it will

1 Like

That has not happened to me, I have had the bug where my controller does that, but not only in this game, I think it may be an xbox issue, unless it only happens to you in this game.

1 Like

Happens to me very frequently. only happens in overwatch 2 on xbox series x

11 Likes

I am on xbox series x and its happening to me too. Glad i am not the only one

4 Likes

This has been happening to me too. No any other game does this. The beta right now is unplayable for me on xbox series X.

I don’t mind bugs, crashes, but my character spinning out of control every match is game losing and very frustrating in a team based shooter.

5 Likes

Every single match when I’m fighting I get the same thing my hero just spins and runs into walls….I’m on series s

3 Likes

Same issue. Disconnect happens almost every game and the only way I’ve been able to reconnect is by removing controller batteries. Playing on Xbox Series X with Xbox anniversary controller.

One thing I noticed, I haven’t disconnected while not in a party. As soon as I jump into a party though, it’s like clockwork every match.

1 Like

Its actually getting ridiculous how often it happens. Making the experience terrible and borderline unplayable

4 Likes

I am having the same problem

Its also happening on the Series S as well, its weird that only new gen has this issue.

1 Like

I have noticed it only happens when I plug in my wired headset!

4 Likes

This happens to me once a game on OW2, XBox Series X. It’s very annoying in clutch moments. I had to request a refund for the $40 pack because of this game breaking glitch.

Happens to me almost every other match. Unplayable and very dissapointed. You have to force quit game sometimes it helps. I got around this buy buying the ps5 beta as welll. Shame

Same issue, pulling out the headset from the controller and plugging it back in fixes it

Got the same issue on Xbox Series X with the Elite 2 Controller becoming unresponsive during each match. Only thing that helps me is plugging in the controller. Nothing else worked so far.

2 Likes

This hasn’t been fixed during the new patch!

Bug fix …Cant use a headset when playing the ow2 beta. When I unpluged my headset from controller everything worked well. Remeber to force quit game after you restart system.

This issues also exist on Overwatch 1 but instead of the controller timming out the sound cuts off…Definetly a headset to controller issue with rhe Xbox series X verion of the game maybe even series s as this never happend on the older xboxes or Ps5 or ps4