Xbox Series X Sound

Sometime in the last week or so the sound has started to cut out in the middle of competitive matches. This issue solely exists within Overwatch, so I am fairly confident it is not an Xbox issue, but who knows.

Scenario: Load in, hero select, bop around before match countdown. Sometime within the first round, sound begins to pop, fizzle, then goes silent. First time it happened, sound began to screech so loud I had to take off my headset. Once sound is gone, it stays off until I quit Overwatch and load it back up. System sounds on the xbox remain fine. The sound issue is not headset specific. I have swapped headsets and tried to play through my television, and the sound still cuts out and stays off.

Edit: Two other friends who play Overwatch have experienced the same issue described above. Quitting and restarting OW is the only way to restore sound, which is obviously impossible in the middle of competitive matches.

2 Likes

Have you worked through this Xbox support article yet (even if Overwatch is the only game causing these issues)?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/display-sound/troubleshoot-sound

I went ahead and reviewed the article. Everything checked out on my end. A few of the sections were not applicable to my set-up.

I’m having the same issue and it has happened 4 times. Only happens in Overwatch and two of my friends who also have Series X have experienced it as well.

For a while I thought Route 66 was a part of the cause because it has happened 3/4 times on that map but it also ended up happening on Junker town.

3 Likes

Exact same issue here. Have any solutions been found yet?

1 Like

I have Xbox series X and the same problem. I can play for a while until the sound dies while making a horrible crack noise, all of this after installing the last patch. Any solutions?

1 Like

Same here. I also have a series x and has started doing that. I get this popping and screeching noise and sound goes completely away. I also have to reset my game. Have you all tried uninstalling and reinstalling OW?

3 Likes

So, I am sitting at about 3-4 weeks of this with the same issue and no support. Is this something that is being looked at? It is extremely frustrating to lose matches and know that I am a big part of it because I cannot hear the Junk running behind me or the Pharah ulting into the back of my head.

1 Like

The forum isn’t a point-of-contact for the staff, it’s a community-supported troubleshooting area. If you’d like to talk to staff directly, you’ll want to open a ticket with them.

I also recommend posting in #bug-report. Not many reports have come in about this, so I can’t be sure if it’s the game client itself or something else.

1 Like

I have the same issue. It can happen in any mode, not just comp.

The game audio will start to break up, then it goes silent. I can still hear in-game chat. Then, after a short while, a VERY loud buzzing noise occurs, that does not stop until I force close the game: -

The first time it happened was March 5th, then it happened to me again last night. I only usually play on weekends.

I’m using an Xbox Series X, running the public version of the dashboard, not an insider build. I use a first generation Elite controller with an MS stereo headset adapter, and I use the Dolby Atmos app for simulated surround sound.

It has not happened with any other games; just Overwatch.

1 Like

BTW, are any of you guys using the Dolby Atmos app on the console for headphone audio?

This issue was first reported around March 4th and the Atmos app was updated on March 3rd, so maybe that has caused some kind of compatibility issue with the game. The issue does not coincide with an Xbox system update, nor an update to the game itself.

Just a thought.

Same problem here on Xbox Series X. No other games have the problem and started in early March. Restarting Overwatch fixes it. But it happens randomly.

Not using the Dolby Atmos app. Don’t even have it installed.

This appears to be a bug within Overwatch itself.

Hey there,

So if its working when you start the game and restarting the game solves it when it does happen, definitely make sure you have reported it in the bug report forums. Troubleshooting would be limited for something like this and consist mostly of things like checking out the connection, reinstalling the game client on the console or factory resetting the console … and mostly those are for things like it doesn’t work at all as opposed to things like, it works for a bit, then stops working until I restart.

Yes, I have reinstalled the game, done a factory reset, and the connection isn’t the issue as I’m on fiber and all of my friends are having the same sound problem in different states.

I have commented on another bug report already, but will submit a separate new bug report.

+1 same thing happens to me as well.

1 Like

I think it’s the quick resume. I start my overwatch game and quick resume activates. Then I home menu quit the game and open it back up. Audio worked fine the second time around. Hope this helped.

I will give this a try and report back to see if it happens after a force quit and back in again. I definitely use quick resume and Overwatch is pretty much the only game I play… so it’s always on. If so, fine turning quick resume off if that indeed fixes it for now.

I can confirm that it is definitely not caused by quick resume. I always force close OW when I’m done playing, so each time I launch the game it’s being launched from scratch, and I still have the audio issue.

Series X here & can confirm have had this a bunch of times now. Makes a strange noise, a pop, then the sound daemon appears to crash but only inside OW. Manually closing the game and restarting it fixes it

I think I just found how to crash the audio.

I was sitting in a skirmish area just goofing around and I started rapidly switching between Tracer and Sombra just to make them keep repeating their lines (Sombra says Everyone can be hacked, Tracer says Cheers love) and it happened

Did the full app close, re-opened it, and jumped back into queue but actually got into a game really fast. Went through the game no problems, went back into a longer queue and went to Skirmish. Rapidly flipped between characters for a minute and crashed it again.

Anyone else wanna give this a try?

I’ll take a video shortly