Wyoming Myst .... characters and words

This is just an appreciation thread for Wyoming Myst;

You’re great, thank you for being such a huge member of this community; your contributions to these forums are appreciated and should be rewarded. The boys in blue should give you a trophy.

Edit* comment away, show this guy some love.

64 Likes

4 Likes

WyomingMyst doesn’t hear it enough. That guy is always around helping people on here.

26 Likes

I’ve been here since before he got his name in green and he’s always been helpful!

8 Likes

He’s more concerned with helping blizzard than the people here, but he has some good input from time to time.

I may not agree to what he says, but he does put in work to communicate with the community. That’s a good in my book.

1 Like

He’s not a brown nose though and he’s made that clear with his opinions. He’s a mediator and a damn fine one at that, he’s up there with Omnicpost in my book.

2 Likes

forums: “wyoming appreciation”

rich: triggered

1 Like

C is a legend, miss that dude.

I’m more talking about his “tech support” side. People who actually have no issue with their setups who are disconnected from OW servers at no fault of their own just get a huge copy-pasta from him that doesn’t help because their network and systems are already stable.

On general issues it’s good to put that information out for the masses, after all, he’s not technologic support.

Patch downloaded, playing OW.

In my case, I had stated in my write-up that I had confirmed all the points on their tech-support page and that my setup was verified as stable. I had other people on my network without issue, my own system had no issue with any other network. He elected to ignore my entire post just to drop a copy-pasta and close the post. 0/10 on the helpful side

While I won’t deny that I copy and paste some of my tech responses, understand that this is usually when there is not enough information to point to a problem otherwise. The “standard” responses that myself and other MVPs (and even Blizzard Tech Support) give typically help make sure it is nothing that the user can’t fix right away.

My first concern is getting a player playing again as fast as possible. It has nothing to do with whether I think anything is wrong with Blizzard’s servers or not. For example right now, there is trending reports with the new patch about sound output not working correctly. As first I did start with some standard bits to check first, but as I see more reports coming in, then I know its not an isolated incident. (By the ways, I can say Blizzard is seeing the same sound issue reports for today but there is no confirmation of a problem yet.)

Also by running through the standard steps that I copy and paste, typically allows me and others to really work to pinpoint whatever issue a person could be facing. So don’t take it the wrong way, if you get slapped with one of my standard responses, and it helps me (and Blizzard) a lot more to confirm you have completed the usual troubleshooting steps.

14 Likes

I am absolutely not doubting that you did exactly what you were supposed to do. Just saying that there are a whole lot of people who are invalidated and have to eat a punishment at no fault of their own on the claim that there’s not enough data to do anything. And the response they get is completely apathetic.

I get that you have zero control over what happens as far as development goes, and my frustration isn’t with you as a person, more of just with the process that you’re a buffer between the player and the people who can do something. Valid voices fall on deaf ears because they’re silenced at your level.

Overwatch Community: acts toxic
WyomingMyst: “No… No I don’t think I will.”

6 Likes

That’s I.T. support for you in general. Throw the text book response and then work from there, that’s how a lot of companies do it. It’s not something bad though, it gets the obvious stuff out of the way and it keeps your response times down as a customer representative.

Just to add to that. I can’t tell you the amount of times places like xfinity/comcast has told me to restart my router even though I made sure to do just that 3 times before calling in.

1 Like

Well, please understand that I am not tone deaf to the debate of getting penalized for technical malfunctions. As you know, Blizzard has a very detailed explanation to the current state of their policy here on the forums:

But I myself really work hard to walk the line between what is fair for the person who had the technical malfunction, what is justified for those who deliberately leave games, and what is fair for those who’s game is now impacted due to the fact there is a leaver. Prior to role queue, I always felt that Blizzard had the best solution in place in how they choose to handle leavers. Now I do think this is something that might be worth looking at again, and if, by some miracle, fortuntate enough to have a few minutes with Jeff Kaplan or Scott Mercer. You better believe I will ask about this.

Until then, I will always continue to present the facts as straightforward as possible. I much rather set the expectations for what players should expect when there is a leaver or if they have a technical malfunction, and if Blizzard changes the rules, you can be sure I will continue to communicate that.

9 Likes

Come to think of it. I’m not sure if I’ve seen any other MVP besides WyomingMyst :thinking:

Still helpful regardless and that’s always appreciated.

1 Like

It’s nice that you do volunteer tech support. I wouldn’t go into that ever again (I have had paid jobs in this). I would never take it as a paid role again, let alone voluntary. So much verbal abuse, many irate customers and performance quotas to hit.

1 Like