Wrecking Ball Live-Drawing & Art Discussion

Can i have him? :grin:

how can he see inside his mech when it is in it’s sphere form?

will he interact with the Lunar Colony and Junkertown maps?

which is Hammond’s favourite snack?

2 Likes

How did he get away with being the champion of Junkertown, while never letting on he’s a hamster? I know in his reveal he has a workshop so shouldn’t someone have figured it out?

Also, is Junkrat his #1 fan?

3 Likes

Why a hamster, and not a monkey? (I prefer hamster xD)

Can we get a Disco Wrecking Ball skin where Hammond has an Afro and a Tuxedo while the Mech’s a disco ball that has lingo voicelines?

So, what’s up with Jetpack Cat?

Seriously hyped!
There have been so many ideas just for Hammy’s skins alone,
Disco ball with the afro, ‘80s shades, and tuxedo
‘Anchor’ orb with captain cap, sunglasses, and blue tropical shirt
Volleyball ‘lifeguard’ skin with red hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, surfy hair and the lotion
Hell ball, with the eye of sauron at the center, with a little flaming-hot demon at the controls- fire in its eyes
‘Medivel Guillotine’ with a mecha dark black but shiny like obsidian, spikes, souls trapped inside, ghostly mist emitting out… with a little furry ghost at the controls wearing an executioner’s hoodie

Even heard of a ‘danny devito’ summer-y skin that’d be like the captain and lifeguard but instead Hammy’s wearing a strawhat driving a… watermelon lmao

Why did you decide to make Wrecking Ball be little more than Hammond’s translator? I get that they were in Junkertown, but I feel it would’ve been much more fun to have Wrecking Ball as a sort of proper Omnic hero. The two would sort of fit the stereotype of a “Dynamic duo” like Kindred, Or Ruckus and Bolt if Wrecking Ball has more of its own personality imo

They talked about this previously.

Hammond was one of the original 50-so hero concepts, most never made it into the game- others were severely altered.

Hammond was previously just the “mech”, but then later on named Hammond and for some reason, given the hamster. It was an idea from a concept designer I think, but I can’t remember the exact reasoning.

1 Like

I think the actual issue is how stupid of a name Wrecking Ball is, not the fact that he has a nickname

I never noticed how fake that getaway was until now

Some art related questions, in case there’s time for any of them. Thanks for the stream in advance! :slight_smile:

• Once you get the concept from the writer(s)/gameplay team how long does it take (iterations, time) to make a concept? → 15-30 minutes for a rough concept: Twitch Go from concept to modelling to fully finishing a hero? → Not answered, note Hammond was shelved from 4 years ago until last year.
    Edit: also kind of related → (What kind of artists do you have on the team? Twitch)
  • What equipment do you use?
    Tablet not Cintiq for shoulder/arm posture (injury prevention) reasons, for both Ben and Arnold: Twitch
  • What was the hardest or most interesting thing about creating Wrecking Ball?
    Ben mentioned liking the “eye” like thing on the front of the Wrecking Ball at one point.
  • How do you come up with new ideas for skins? What’s the thought process behind which skins might work or might not? → Not directly answered, Overwatch art style is generally a mix of “east + west”. Skins are often designed to stand out and make the hero look different. Concept has to take into account how elements are animated, visibility of facial expressions etc. For Hammond, they wanted the first 2 skins (Junkertown & Lunar Colony) to be more lore focused and not focused on looking fun/silly/different.

And a silly one for fun:

• Has the art team ever created any “forbidden”/“useless” skins for heroes just for fun (and what were they!?), or were any skin concepts trashed because they just didn’t work out?
    In retrospect, a bit of a silly question w.r.t. concept art as many ideas are thrown around and iterated on all the time. Skin-wise, I didn’t catch any other skin spoilers etc. I got the impression once the artistic directors greenlight an idea, everyone works through the issues until it gets done.
1 Like

you ever watch star wars the clone wars animated show?

To either Ben or Arnold,

When you were originally creating art for “Wrecking Ball” (I’m just gonna call him hammond), did any of the early art or designs for Hammond not have a hamster in the mech? Was there ever any chance for a Hammond that may have not been a hamster, but maybe a dog as pictured in the mural for Horizon Lunar Colony in the teaser trailer “Calm Before the Storm”?

What’s the soundtrack for the event?

What makes the artistic design of a hero an “Overwatch hero”? Any tips on how to create and design your very own hero?

1 Like

I’m gonna watch just for the skin

Give Hammond a D.va themed skin.

Rock themed skin, calling it Rocking Ball.
HAL 5000 themed skin, complete with voiceline to match it.

1 Like

Does the mech itself remind anyone else of the bots in Portal?

3 Likes

What was the inspiration that led to this character? Was he always a hamster, and if not, what changed the plan?