Wrecking Ball Live-Drawing & Art Discussion

How challenging was it to design Hammond, a hamster in a world of (mostly) humans?

Was he always this size during all the steps of development? Did he use to be smaller, bigger? How long did it took you to figure out the proper size compared to his mech?

Will Hammond stay the smallest hero you’ll ever add or can we expect more heroes of this size or even smaller (not counting the obvious mechs/exoskeletons/etc that would come with a small size hero) ?

And bonus question : Hammond has been teased for 2 years since launch - YouTube is the lady in the red dress connected to him and am I right in assuming this has been a Hammond tease all along?

4 Likes

Okay i got 2 questions:

First, is there skins that is going to alter Hammond’s fur to perhaps give him different pattern, colors… etc? Like each skin was a different specie of hamster?

Second, do you intend on making skins that actually uses his ball form at its advantage to give something fun (like a soccer ball or a spiked ball perhaps?) or will you rather focus on making better looking mechs with ball form being more of a side thing? Or perhaps both?

2 Likes

What was the inspiration behind making Hammond as the new character and why a hamster? :hamster:

1 Like

What was the inspiration for such a uniquely different hero design from the rest of the characters in Overwatch for Hammond and his Wrecking Ball mech? And does that design make it easier or harder to design skins for?

Skin suggestions (cause I to): Beach Crab :crab: Wrecking Ball and Ice Cream worker Mei (with snowball as an Icecream scoop with a cherry on top)

You guys are really hyping is for this and I cannot wait!!

3 Likes

Are there plans for lots of different animal skins outside of just his original hamster design? Hammond’s design seems great for a hedgehog (gotta go fast!), a little rabbit, even a bumblebee. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chosen. I remember on the seagull stream the devs made a “Has hammond ruined the game yet” meeting for 10 years in the future.

Turns out some of the devs mirrored the forum’s reaction.

1 Like

When designing Wrecking Ball, did you draw up Hammond first, or the mech? Was Hammond always intended to be a Hamster :thinking:

5 Likes

Make a skin where he’s just a glass ball. Like from BOLT (the movie)

1 Like

What inspired you to design this character?

Would the team consider creating a Hammond skin that makes his wrecking ball a transparent hamster ball? I’d love to see the little guy run around inside of it!

Will Winston and Hammond have a moment where they have animal conversation. Will bastion and wrecking ball have the same?

4 Likes

i think we are getting a junker skin? but im hoping for a something very cool?

When designing a hero like Hammond, or any other hero, do you start with the required game mechanics first and then start the design? Or do you find a design you like then see which mechanics you can apply to it?

Is it hard designing skins for a giant Hamster ball?

1 Like

Hammond is a Winston’s friend or a rival ?

2 Likes

When creating a new hero, what comes first: choosing their aesthetic design or their abilities? For instance, with Hammond did you already plan on making a highly mobile tank with certain abilities and then create Hammond’s spherical mech, or was it that you created a new hero however you wanted and then decided his abilities?

1 Like

Will Wreckingball get a D.va inspired pink mech skin?

It would be incredibly cool if he could.

2 Likes

How would an aspiring artist get the opportunity to work with Blizzard? Any recommendations on how to get there aside from of course improving by drawing loads?

3 Likes

Here is a question: Why are you doing this? We have waited nearly 2 weeks on the PTR now for his skins, and you then chose to reveal 1 of them, after two weeks there…

Your skins always have bugs with them, and this is just prolonging how long Hammond needs to be on the PTR, or make him be released as a mess of bugs. Stop prolonging things for no reason, and get them in there instead of teasing us.

And if this have more to do with how you haven’t gotten skins ready before this, then why not? All the other characters released on the PTR so far have had their cosmetics within a week. That Hammond haven’t, and are only now getting a teaser, makes you seem like you don’t care about him in the slightest.

3 Likes

Why are you teasing only 1 Hammond skin instead of putting all his cosmetics on PTR like every previous character?

3 Likes