Wow what happened to player base?

I mean it’s never been that great but competitive is just awful now. I’m a pretty average player usually sitting around the gold/plat rating but my goodness its just so wildly random the type of teammates you get. One game you get absolutely stomped because your team doesn’t work together whatsoever and then another game you get a mature well balanced group of players.

I really don’t remember it being this awful a few years ago? Is it just me? Is it just bad luck? Is it the changes that have been made to the game? I feel like the player base has really shifted poorly in the more recent time.

Would love to get some feedback. Anyone else having a similar experience as me?

5 Likes

Yep. Comp has been like this for me. I started playing comp in Season 20. It’s not just you that has noticed this.

I haven’t finished my placements except for tank this season because I can’t bear to play when most of my teammates are completely braindead. I also quit because I have the gold guns for all my mains (D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy).

I thought it was just a Switch player base issue but apparently that isn’t true. No lie, most of my tank placements had a Rein that would charge into the enemy team every chance they got. We lost those matches and to be honest, I don’t even remember how I won my only tank placement.

I know last season wasn’t this bad though. I won almost all of my placement matches then and didn’t run into nearly as many bad players. (I’m gold in tank and support and silver in dps).

2 Likes

turns out incentivising throwing to get a faster dps q kills your game.

2 Likes

The reason it’s so random is that Competitive Play has always been algorithmically handicapped, so 4 years has done nothing to rank players according to their skill. More information in my thread on the subject:

It’s horrendous now. But you’ll get the typical players who say it’s your fault you can’t climb because the opposing team has just as much of a chance to have leavers/throwers.

So that’s where we are at now. Hoping that the enemy team has more meatheads than your team.

Isn’t it grand?

2 Likes