Would you read OW short-stories if there were any?

Well I’ve been pretty silent on the topic I’ve opened myself… but thank you all for your contribution…

I see I’m not alone in being frustrated by the snail-pace progress of the story and that we are many that would go breath and sail into that universe gladly, whatever form the story takes.

In two years, we’ve barely got beyond Winston’s Recall… Sure, the universe is expanding with each release, but the story havent moved an inch.

I’m almost tempted to open a rant topic on the matter, but what would be the point, the lore section is already filled with those and I’m pretty sure the devs (and mostly Michael and the writers) have seen it all.

I’d just like them to aknowledge our frustration and talk about it… just a bit, just telling us they have plan for the story on the long term… cause they’re awfully silent on the matter… and I’m doing that rant out of love for the story and the universe… it’s not salt, it’s not blind fury, it’s just… it’s just frustration and sadness.

For me, even before the game in itself, it’s the universe that brought me to Overwatch… not even the characters, but that whole futuristic world, with that fragile co-existence between human and omnics, the remnant of this glorious organisation scattered across the world, the new-world order shaping up with all those various factions, the rise of those superpowerfwul so-called “Gods programs”…

Actually, you know what, I might go ahead and post that rant ! :smiley:

2 Likes

I love to read short stories if there were any. I would read a whole novel if there was one. I just really enjoy reading and it would be nice to know more lore.

Not unless they upped the art quality in the comics, then I’d consider it, because the art is seriously hit-or-miss in these

But that said I would TOTALLY read short stories or novels of the characters, or longer comics

World of Warcraft has stories, shorts, novels, comics, everything. People buy it and enjoy it.

Overwatch could use a short story or two.

1 Like

I would love this yes!

Yup yup, a visual medium would be better though; I’d like to place my bets on comics but…yknow.

I do feel like the comic/visuals departement are bottlenecking the medium/story of Overwatch.

But honestly, I think it’s the other way around, I think the writers just can’t or aren’t delivering; or both. I mean Overwatch is a 1 BILLION dollar I.P.

They could hire more artist/comic team. Most japanese studios with a popular manga following operates on $10 million-25 million budget.

So it should be posible

1 Like

I assume you mean holding it back by “bottlenecking”?
Or limiting what it can do?

I’ll totally agree, I just think it’s best served in a visual format.

It does seem more likely to be a business decision to me…that still sucks; but either way it’s not great ha!

Most manga are also written & illustrated predominantly by one person & release weekly xD I’m totally with you ha!

Even Berserk has a better release schedule than Overwatch xP

With the recent actions of Blizzard Activision and them pratically cancelling HOTS today, yeah I meant holding it back, and totally not in a good way.

Blizzard focused on OWL and Balancing/Optimizing this year in 2018, barely any comics or creative animations (e.g. the awesome 2017 Doomfist reveal anime)…

Esports does keep the game relevant, but it gets boring and no substance for regular people. Overwatch is lucky it has Blizzard’s name in it and very polished “quick and play for 5-10 minutes” a game as Jeff called it, and so far it stabilizes on twitch at 20.000 views most of the time.

Most of today’s “Story” is practically a hero reveal every 4 months, with almost no** context/feel of an overall story arc. If I were Activision Blizzard, I’d do that too. It’s efficient and for the writers, it’s a retcon heaven. But in hindsight, if it continues like this or worse in 2019 (OW soul/interest could take another plummet).

I’d admit this is an online VIDEOGAME company, not a comic/story studio explicitly. But I miss the days where the developer/artists would try to enrich the world…

Blizzard themselves, old Blizzard, wasn’t shy of writing. Just check out the Novels in production for WoW, StarCraft and Diablo, it’s not the best… but it’s something.

For Overwatch, nope…

1 Like

Aye, it all definitely feels like a business decision following that.
OW was marketed originally on having an in-depth story & going back on that / heavily limiting it is going to make the brand suffer in the long run, despite the IP being a video game predominantly.

It’s the stories that will outlast the game easily…if they were actually releasing stories…& it’s these that could also help elevate OW from its recent funk.
Of course it’s never going to be the main concern, but it kinda should be a greater concern if they want to keep the lore section of their fandom.
Or any feeling of “soul” as you put it :slight_smile:

I feel you fren, this is bad times.

Absolutely, if they were canon.

I’m an online Overwatch fanfiction writer, and would love to be able to do it officially, as a job even!