Workshop Inspector stops after 12017 steps

I’m currently working on a Haskell library that compiles down to Overwatch’s Workshop language. My library contains some fairly high level features (i. e. Recursion) and so it generally takes a lot more steps than “Vanilla” Workshop code.

I’ve been getting incredibly frustrated over the last few hours, trying to find out, why my recursive function worked the first time, but just stopped in the middle the second time I ran it.
After hours of debugging, I finally found the issue: There was no bug. My function worked exactly as expected, but the Workshop inspector, which I was using to test it, stopped at the 12017th step.

This seems like a bug to me, but in case it is intended, please at least put a disclaimer in the inspector’s UI!

Thank you for your time

Edit: After some more testing, the Inspector stopped after 12319 steps this time, this makes it seem a lot more likely, that this behaviour is a bug

Either its a bug or there is some memory limitation.

That seems reasonable. Still, I think there should be some sort of disclaimer

Are you sure? I feel like I’ve seen mine go beyond 13,000 before; maybe it stops when it reaches 12,017 in a short time?

It seems to be pretty random. At some point it went to 15,000 for me, but it always stops at some point. With my library this usually happens in a few seconds, so I can’t really use the inspector at all.

Guess the Inspector is tied extreme to C or C++ and can read their symbols straight away, since we don’t know how their interpreter works we can only assume. So you need to write a special debugger which understands Haskell symbols and find a way to parse between them, so no data gets lost and any data can be tracked in Haskell terms or ways you try to implementate. Anyway whats the purpose of writing a Haskell library for the OW Worksho?

1 Like

The inspector will attempt to get through as much data as it can, but is incredibly lazy and will stop if you overdo it in order to save server load. Disable the inspector until you’re ready to read it.

1 Like

I am pretty sure I have seen my inspector go up to 400k but maybe I misread it and it was 40k, sounds like an issue special to you.