[WORKSHOP COPYRIGHT GUIDE] How to defend your mode from copying! šŸ›”

Correct.

For example ā€œPress F to Upgradeā€ doesnt have match time.

I call it the ā€œhard resetā€. Cause 1.5h is maximum for matches to go. And then it restarts. (You can also try to make an error happen and it does that too.)

In which match time match restarting before 1.5h? Something about in 30 mins?

You can also find online text encrypters and encrypt the function texts with AES-256 encryption and paste the encrypted text for each function. That way it will be kind of easier to find what each function does for the one who holds the passkey for debugging when you open your game to others for testing.

You could also put some encrypted text in the description that credits the author as well as a plain text author credit above it.

Mix in some random variable setters in different places that donā€™t mean anything to obfuscate. You can also add in a random variable somewhere that gets executed within a minute of the gameā€™s startup. Test if the variable is set after a minute in a random spot in the actions, if not then close the mode.

You can easily delete the setter after you spawn into the match, and then before you restart add it back in to the editor.

I think no need to encrypt the function texts bcz i dont need to encrypt it. I guess the best way have 2 versions of it, one without any encrypting and one with, like one its a work version and second one the release version, so i dont need to encrypt the function text with AES-256 if i already know what this functions do.

Why i need to have encrypted text in the description? For what purpose? I think in the description enough the main description of the mode and the developer.

I dont think that it needed. Custom encoding with variables which really need enough.

Its actually useless. Why need a variable which makes true herself? Its same like this variable just not exist.

This player already said about it

The purpose of encrypting function text is when youā€™re trying to test it with other players while youā€™re developing it. It just makes it a little easier is all, and it puts the same deterrent on the low effort dishonest copiers.

Putting encrypted credit text in the description would help with proving that you made the gamemode just a little bit when you share the code. Because you can share the pass key to the credit portion of the description online too.

After youā€™re done testing/developing with other players you can simply overwrite your private version and decrypt the text again to have it go back to the way it was. Iā€™d imagine that will ease the pain of trying to remember what every single rule in 100+ rules does and converting it all back to readable text will be simple.

Actually i making on development any tests with my friends which i trust. I will not release non-tested mode in public and with open sourse, if i can make any tests before release.

I think encrypting the DESCRIPTION, dude, its already really smells paranoid. I think the ways i showed already enough for any players, and for those who want that others copy the mode but with some recognition feedback, and for players, who strongly against any copying of modes. So i think no need to encrypt the description, enough any provement like Youtube Video or some popular sourse, or, another way, just the encrypt code of mode.

Actually for encrypt the strings of function name i spent not more 1-2 mins, lol.

Well Iā€™m not talking about in your case specifically when youā€™re testing it with trusted friends. Iā€™m saying this for others in my case where we want to test with the open public.

Iā€™m not talking about encrypting the entire description. Iā€™m talking about adding just an encrypted text at the very bottom after you tell them how to play the game. The text can include your battle-tag, online usernames, etcā€¦

And youā€™re right I think thatā€™s enough too. Iā€™m just stating another alternative that adds just a little bit more insurance. Its their choice to do it or not, Iā€™m not asking everyone to do it. Iā€™m just giving another option out there.

Also just making this thread and doing any of these actions is already paranoid. I donā€™t see how this is any different.

Hmm, then a question, how can help the encoding even not all description, but part of description, if you can just put there rules of the game and your battletag? I dont understand really why need to encrypt anything from description.

If you can see, so much whining on this forum because unhonest people copy modes without any efforts and then pass it as own. I saw much posts about it and i decided create the guide how can players defend own mode by some author marks resourses and encryption. Maybe it help them, im sure that it will. I dont think its paranoid, i even said it here:

But i think while Blizzard didnt any copyright protection for authors which really paid much efforts for make nice balanced gamemode, its only way to somehow defend the mode by copyright.

Well Iā€™m not trying to say this thread is bad or anything. I think everyone has valid concerns about people copying their game-mode and taking credit for everything, especially if they put their heart and soul into it with over 100 hours.

But if you think encrypting text is paranoia then tell me exactly how trying to perform correctly timed actions within a set interval of the game launching or the game will self-destruct isnā€™t.

Yeah I agree though I see it all the time. Iā€™ve played games of infection and saw 3 different people take credit for the entire thing. Even when I asked them specifically what parts they made. They said everything. The game was exactly the same. Same style, setup, HUD, minor differences like hero buffs but thatā€™s it.

Actually i showed here how this encryption works. You can watch the video and see how the action-keys encryption works in limited time interval.

No you dont understand.

After 1.5h the game gets shutdown forcing a restart. Cause 1.5h is maxtime a match can last. (For example on FFA)

But it can cause make it restart faster with an error. But then its restarting with the old settings.

Yes, sry, im dumb bcz i never tryed to do this :smiley: Maybe someday i will try.

That shows me how to do it. That doesnā€™t tell me how that my suggestion is paranoia and this method isnā€™t.

I know it feels bad guys, but what is the actual harm?

If some kid steals my map, plays it with his friends and claims itā€™s hisā€¦ does it really hurt me?
If some guy steals my map and plays it with people on the internetā€¦ and claims itā€™s hisā€¦ does it really hurt me?
What will change?

The only way this affects you is if your map is so big that someone cares who made it. When this happens, if youā€™ve posted about it, and are the one releasing new versions, etcā€¦ those who want to know, will. The ones sharing your game are still sharing your game. Can you not feel good about that without the praise?

Am I the only one who sees it this way?

Okay, tell me the real purpose for encrypting of the description. Is it really needed? Then tell me why i cant open the mode only with encryptions what i showed and what will be vulnerability of the mode if i will not use your description encode.

I understand your philosophy, but we donā€™t live in such a world. If you could convince everyone to think like that we would have a very peaceful world without conflict. It is purely ego based and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. People will get upset if they arenā€™t recognized for their effort. Its a very human thing.

I could ask you the same thing. Is all this really needed? Its accomplishing the same purpose as this. You just seem to have a distaste for encrypted text.

I just donā€™t think you guys are going to get that recognition, even after a change. Reallyā€¦ most people donā€™t care who made the map. You could tell them santa made it. For those it does matter to, itā€™s not an issue if you post about itā€¦ soā€¦

I completely agree with that. Not much people will work without any salary in overwatch workshop if they will not even rewarded by player admiration and game community. So yes, i think this guide really will be useful.

Dude, i dont have a distaste for encrypted text lol. Maybe it even so nice, i just cant understand it why. If you explain me, maybe i will understand.

Yeah maybe not. Devs said they will look into. I donā€™t know what that will be though. Most people donā€™t care who made it, but the people who created it do.