Winston is useless and desperately needs a buff

Winston is fun to play and counters quite a few annoying dps characters. But recent additions to roster (Moira and Brigitte) and various changes made him a giant paper tiger. He can barely damage anyone, his ult is useless and his jump recharges for far too long. Perhaps I’m not very good Winston, but I haven’t seen enemy Winston being a threat for a while.
I think Winston needs changes.

7 Likes

Yea he really needs some love because he is f tier right now, and Dva is not far behind him, they really need some buffs, especially after Dva was nerfed into the ground AGAIN

1 Like

It’s really just Brigitte. Winston has not been changed in a very long time and has only recently been dropping… along with pretty much every other tank.

The last Winston buff is what started the dive meta’s reign. He does not need any changes.

16 Likes

He does not need buffs. There is VERY massive difference between “underpowered” and “off-meta” that people should start to realize by now.

41 Likes

Dva is much more powerful than Winston.

5 Likes

Imagine that. He’s bad in a meta where a hero designed specifically to counter him is played very often. When Brigitte isn’t played, he’s strong. He’s just being countered, learn to swap.

4 Likes

I love the application of the word “useless”. Its extremely reasonable and enlightening.

1 Like

not by much, they are quite near each other in win rates atm. I agree dva is better than winston atm

What benefits to the meta do you think would happen if Winston was buffed? How do you want him buffed? Or are you just asking for the game to revert to the pre-Brigitte patches?

No.

Some heros need a nerfs. But no buffs

jeff said that winston doesn’t need buffs

I remember when Winston was a counter to Dva. But now she can just blast rockets in his face and he’s almost dead. Her ult is a gamechanger too.

Brig I get but why does Moira affect him? I always find her pretty easy to deal with as Winston.

How many new heroes ago that was?

To Feif: Moira healing disables all Winston damage with ease and Winston can’t defeat her because her attacks return most damage.

Er… Zero. In fact I’m pretty sure this comment was even made after Brig had been in Comp for a few weeks.

1 Like

Well, that sucks. By the way, forgot that he’s useless against Hanzo too now.

He’s basically decent against Genji and Widowmaker now and useless against anybody else.

What?! I resent that! He managed to beat Doomfist!

1 Like

That may be true but can she…

MAKE SHADOW PUPPETS WITH HER FEET?! I think not kind sir! Haaa Hah! The monkey triumpts once again!

1 Like

Um…what? I still eat Hanzos because they’re always spamming their storm arrows. Even then Winston should be bubble dancing when he jumps on an enemy so…majority of those shots should be wasted.

I disagree with many of your comments here. While it’s true that Winston has essentially fallen out of favor due to the release of both Moira and Brigitte, both of whom provide the exact things Winston is weak to, burst healing and/or armor, that does not mean that his kit is bad, which it isn’t.

• His Jump Pack is on a very short cooldown compared to most of the cast in terms of mobility abilities.
  • His Barrier is relatively weak and on a much longer cooldown than other main tanks, but this is to balance out the fact that he has much more mobility than the likes of Reinardt and Orisa.
  • His Tesla Cannon is debatably weak, it was never an issue during dive meta due to the high amount of squishy targets (Genji, Tracer, Zenyatta, and Mercy), however he’s still very useful now seeing as both Hanzo and Widowmaker can be seen paired in matches as a viable DPS combo, and Zenyatta is STILL meta.
  • Finally, his Primal Rage ultimate is far from useless. This ultimate is less about damage (unless you get someone in a corner) and more about displacement of the enemy team. Single out that Zarya or Rein and shove them to your teammates for a quick kill, dive the supports and harass the backline, contest the point with your 1000 HP, or knock foes off cliffs and ledges if the opportunity presents itself.

As I see it right now, Winston is simply a victim of the meta for the most part shifting out of his favor. He’s not useless, but he’s nowhere near the “must pick” that he was previously. I like the spot he’s in right now and feel that no changes are needed.

1 Like