Wins don't overshadow losses in SR... failure to climb with a positive win rate

I’m positive for wins in my win/loss rankings. My stats for Symetra, my main character are more than decent and I normally have gold medals in damage, damage done, and objective kills, if not objective time, however my SR gains fail to beat out my SR losses, even when my win rate is well over 55%. How can this be? How can you not climb with a positive win rate?

Because the points earned or lost depend on your performance relative to expectations

If you win but you do not perform well, points earned is smaller

Of you lose but do not perform well, your point loss increases

A player’s win rate has to much higher than many seem to understand in order to climb with any sort of measurable speed in a given season. I don’t know the exact numbers but looking at players stats on the forum who bring this issue up, it seems be one needs at least 55%+ or even higher to climb. So stuff like 58% and so on…

a 50.05% and even 53% sort of win rates don’t rank a person up. So for every 100 games one plays, you need to win 56+ of them, not tie, not lose but just straight win.

As stated, it’s based on your performance.

You’re compared to other syms in your rank and across the board and if you’re not out-performing your rank with that hero then you’re gonna sit there.

I think it’s why back in the day sombra was the easiest to climb with because nobody played her therefore the general average of stats were quite low

I had to get my win rate up to 70% on Brig to finally get out of plat after 10 seasons. :joy:

My overall win rate is 56.78% and I’m climbing.

Eh looking at your stats it seems that you’re barely getting any kills with your gun on your sym, barely using your portal, blocking minimal damage with your wall, and not really doing a lot of damage overall.

The only part of your Sym that is really doing anything is your turrets - 81% of your kills are turret kills. I think the system sees this and rewards you as such. On my Sym one trick I was averaging about 27 gained and 25 lost until I hit diamond.

the matchmaker calculates your chance to win, if it’s exactly 50% you gain as much SR as you lose

if it’s 60% you need to win 6 out of 10 games to stay even and if it’s 40% you need to win 4 out of 10

so what that means is you get matched against lower average SR teams more often than higher. this happens for example when you group with players of lower SR than yours