Will there be MMR reset?

Will MMR/rank be reset when the role q comes live?

No

2 Likes

There will be kind of a “soft reset”, at least there is on the PTR.
Which means after you have done your placements, your SR will be very volatile (Lose/Gain 50+ SR per game for a while)

Edit: But there will NOT be a full MMR reset where a gold player suddenly places in master or anything crazy like that.

1 Like

If you never play a role in Comp on live now, there will be a lack of data for them to populate your role based MMR. They’re doing everything they can to avoid any kind of reset type impact.

Jeff Kaplan says they’ve been collecting role specific MMR data for months now. The Beta Season will be available to smooth out any difficulties faced by a lack of existing MMR data.

In situations where there is a lack of MMR data, placements assume you’re 0 MMR which maps pretty closely to about 2350 SR. Placements can only raise you up so much from an SR perspective, but maybe they can have dramatic impact to MMR.

And before they use 0 MMR for a specific role with missing data, they’ll just use your overall account MMR before they’ll use 0.

2 Likes

What Verg said.

Short answer, no, there will be no MMR Reset, they’re simply compiling all the data they can before role queue comes to the live servers.

You will only experience something similar to an MMR Reset if you haven’t played any DPS/Support/Tank for 4 to 5 months, or have outright taken a break for 5+ months.

1 Like

Unless that’s in direct print or video some where I highly doubt that’s the case. Being the current system doesn’t care if you have parked your SR for 10+ season and not played any comp at all. You just pick right up where you left off.

Jeff said they have been collecting info but that sounds more like testing out running both systems at the same time vs any sort need to have been playing in the last 5 months to get a correct’ish SR in a 222 role based system.

if anything they are just going to run everyone’s accounts past some sort of formula that flips the data over to the 222 system. It doesn’t make any sense to now all of sudden care about a 5 month break when the past system didn’t care at all.

1 Like

Well I haven’t really been playing on my main account for a few months, but I placed at roughly the same place as it was in season 16.
And the first 10 games after placements I sometimes gained/lost 70SR per game.
So there is definitely some degree of “reset”, that SR volatility never happens usually when a new season starts.

Jeff said they’ve been collecting data for a number of months, and that there will be complications if you haven’t played at all while they’re collecting. Doesn’t mean there’s going to be a reset if they don’t have role data for you. 15 minutes in.

If a player hasn’t played recently, or has not played a specific role, things are more difficult (and Jeff didn’t say exactly what they would do). There will be no reset. Blizzard recently did an MMR reset for their internal test server, and it went about as badly as expected (00:15:40).

I kinda wish role wise it would have a MMR reset

Sorry. It would be horrible. Jeff says, Seagull says, everyone knows it to be true.

It would definitely be horrible.
Knowing my luck I would probably get bronze players on my team vs GM players on the enemy team during my placements.

Possibly me and then you know what happens: you lose