Will smurfing ever be considered cheating?

They can’t stop people from making new accounts, especially on consoles

its a general thing, not targeted at you

its not an excuse its a valid point, people dislike it because its true. I switched to pc from console, climbed from silver to masters in a few seasons, I think I got reported for “smurfing” every other game.

its kinda funny how many people dont. having a low level account in a game that plays well isn’t a smurf. I know people who are low level accounts, but thier aim is insane but game sense not so much, meaning all of them are low sr

And here’s the difference: it took you a few seasons, not one day to climb from A to B. A t500 playing below diamond is obvious.

1 Like

I really don’t care what Jeff Kaplan says about Smurfs. After he (?) said that power creep doesn’t exist, his words on balance and such has lost all meaning to me. I’ll only listen to him for new stuff.

2 Likes

well the thread asked if its cheating and the answer is no it isnt unless they are hard throwing.

people need to either get over it or quit, alt accounts will never be something they ban for. people make this thread like 5 times a day, give it a rest

1 Like

I didn’t ask if it was cheating. I asked if it ever will be considered as a form of cheating.

I have strong doubts about the claim that they can catch “boosting”.
I have several accounts. I have allowed my children to play the first fifty levels and then taken back over. The difference in our skill levels in pretty drastic. So the acct went from a pretty bad player to a pretty decent one seemingly instantly.

Nothing has ever happened.

(it is worth mentioning that I only play comp one one acct per platform PS/XB/PC)

only if they are hard throwing, otherwise no

yall can stop asking this 20 times a day now

2 Likes

I am not talking about Alt accounts.

hard throwing to bronze is against the rules. starting a new account isnt. hope that clears it up for you

2 Likes

This isn’t even entirely about new accounts. You can smurf on a bought silver border account.

Going from a silver Widow to a GM Widow in one season is suspect enough.

2 Likes

i mentioned throwing to lower ranks, its not allowed. its not easy to stop either

1 Like

Hard one because it’s like saying should I report this guy for buying another copy of the game to start from the beginning.

WILL SMURFING EVER BE CONSIDERED CHEATING?

No and real cheaters are not detected either.

2 Likes

Cheating

Using third-party programs to automate any facet of the game, exploiting bugs, or engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage is considered cheating.

I see smurfing (new “alt” accounts if you want to deflect the truth) as “engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage”, as it’s exploiting the MMR system, and thus I diligently report for it.

If you want me to stop doing it, change the wording of that.

1 Like

Smurfing is the only healthy way to play this game casualy w/o stress. Cheating is different, you use 3rd party software, not your natural advantage.

So smurfs can play casually without stress, but what about the players they’re facing? Is that healthy and stress-free for them?

1 Like

they need to get better at the game obviousely, cause there is no another option available. You want stress free games - invest time to develop skill which will provide that for you in the end.

1 Like

If there were no rank in this game, would you still consider that as cheating? nope. Since billions of informatic years (around 20 human years) people have all been mixed in online death matches, team death matches, capture the flag, domination, etc. and now in OW, people discover players aren’t equal in skills and experience, and want people with more experience to be banned. In what kind of world are we living ?

1 Like

Then let players develop that skill with others within their skill range. Justifying smurfing is just sad.

1 Like