Will Pink Mercy come back this year?

And I argue those reasons are not compelling or logical. You can agree or disagree or refuse to have the conversation. I don’t really care either way to be honest. My logic has not yet been shown to be erroneous on this topic

2 Likes

A couple of reasons:

One (and the main one) is a logistics and cost issue. It takes time (and therefore money, for a corporation) to handle charity contributions. If Blizzard were to let you “buy” the skin at any time, and they individually contribute to the charity on a per-purchase basis, they’re directly losing money from paying people to handle that. Naturally they would have lost money on the original event as well, but a negligible amount in proportion to the scale of the donation.

The other is the value of exclusivity and urgency. A lot of people may have purchased the skin during the event under the assumption that anyone who didn’t do that would never have the skin, thus making it more unique and special to own that item, and more important to commit to buying it right away. Those parts of the value are lost if it becomes generally available, which may discourage some people from participating in similar events in the future.

4 Likes

What’s stopping the companies from making it such that payments for the skin are directly sent to the charity?

So… appeal to selfishness. That’s sort of antithetical to a charity campaign right?

2 Likes

Might just be me but all of these posts have been “Is pink Mercy coming back” not “can we donate to BCRF again.” Don’t get to knock selfishness when that is the only reason people want it to come back.

13 Likes

The people making the posts have no bearing on my argument as a whole. I can ignore any and all threads asking “Is pink Mercy coming back” and the arguments would still stand.

They also aren’t demanding Pink Mercy come back. They aren’t saying they are entitled to buying Pink Mercy either. So calling these people selfish is grasping for straws.

It’s a significant development task and would require more of a collaboration/partnership with the charity, but it is certainly possible, if they decided to invest in that.

I think I responded that about as well as I can in a different thread, so I’ll just quote it here:

1 Like

No that’s only when they say they can do something.

1 Like

It was advertised as limited time only and it’s listed as legacy. It will not be coming back. Every thread about it this has been stated.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m misguided here, but I highly doubt it.

So, to me, if someone is not going to buy a skin because other people will be able to buy it later that person should not be catered to at the expense of other people. That person is not doing it for the charity, so why limit other people buying it because of them?

Making it exclusive is just prioritizing short-term gains over long-term ones (something companies are good at). I argue that having it available long-term would, in time, generate more money for the cause than having it limited. The logic seems undeniable honestly.

Charity events being intentionally designed to appeal to selfish tendencies is antithetical to what a charity is for and, as far as I can tell, only means less money for the charity in question. Charities need money year round, not just for one month, so having it available year round would help the charity.

Also, why waste the development time for Pink Mercy on just one month?
I say again: If it was available right now people would buy it right now and add even more money. Stopping that, in my opinion, could almost be argued to be immoral, but lets not get into that can of worms.

1 Like

Your point is let people donate year round right?

No one is asking if they can donate to donate, everyone is just asking to buy the skin. No one actually cares about the charity at this point, if they ever did in the first place, compared to the people that participated just because they liked the skins or shirts.

Donations were just a nice side effect to look good on Blizzards taxes

4 Likes

I hope it does. I wouldn’t mind getting a third or fourth (or fifth or sixth…) shirt.

I’d just like to get a dudes shirt. The girls were absolutely awful and wish I’d just gotten a men’s in the first place.

It’s to let people donate in the way they are desiring to donate at the time they want to donate instead of arbitrarily limiting it because of the selfish tendencies of others.

The two are one in the same when buying the skin

Many people do care about the charity and did when they got the skin. Many people care about the charity and simply started playing the game after Pink Mercy was no longer available. Who benefits from preventing them from donating and getting the skin?

2 Likes

The intent makes all of the difference. I didn’t donate to charity, I bought a skin and t-shirt I wanted. That is the difference.

In the end, Blizzard. Exclusivity means something when businesses use it and it needs to stay that way. It sucks people didn’t play then, but that won’t make it come back. If they make it not exclusive just because someone was late to the party, significantly less donations would happen next time because Blizzard lied last time. That’s just how it works.

5 Likes

What’s preventing you from donating without getting the skin?

I understand it sucks that people missed out in pink Mercy, but most people also missed out on Noire Widowmaker.
Neither are coming back so unfortunantly you have to accept you missed out on a cool skin.
Just like Noire Widow and All star Genji/Tracer.

6 Likes

It really doesn’t though. Not in a way that matters. At least to me

You’re right actually, to an extent. Blizzard is the beneficiary of limiting it.

I however disagree that less donations would happen next time. Donations wouldn’t be as fast, sure, but if you left the ability to donate and get whatever benefit you get instead of making it exclusive I argue that you will end up with more money.

I also don’t care about the feelings of people who would actually feel upset over other people being able to buy the same skin. It’s pathetic, childish, and shouldn’t be catered to.

I already got the skin, that isn’t the issue.

Getting Noire Widowmaker doesn’t donate to a charity

I didn’t miss out actually; I purchased the skin.

1 Like

I’m using you a general statement.

My point was those are all the legacy skins. Legacy skins do not come back.

It was advertised as limited time only, they’d be breaking their own advertisement if they brought it back.
They were also only partnered up with the charity for that limited time.

If people truly cared about the charity they’d continue to donate regardless if the skin is avaliable.

Word it however the person likes, they’re not asking for Pink back because they care about donating, they care about getting the skin they like that they missed out on.

3 Likes

I know the facts, thank you. I’m arguing that they are illogical at best and immoral at worst (lets argue the best case scenario)

1 Like

Blizzard decided they wanted to do it limited time. They are the ones who make that decision.

Why should they have to cater to, as you put it

people who missed out on the event and think that Blizzard should change it when they already decided on how they wanted their charity event to go?

It’s a charity event. No matter how it goes it’s not illogical, and immoral is beyond ridiculous. People missed out on a skin, that it.

2 Likes

So you’re going to actually claim that the people who would like to get the skin and donate that were never able to are pathetic and childish?

We’re done here. You are repeatedly completely missing the point.

1 Like