Will other under represented groups have representation soon?

This just shows the double standard with these forums. Anything lgbt and it’s all cool and good, but when other representation is brought up everyone’s all against it.
Either allow all representation or no representation. Period.

1 Like

Yes :clap: it :clap: is. Sure, it shouldn’t be. But there have been, and even currently are wars being fought about it. It may be due to religion, but you can’t change the fact that people are still actually fighting over it.

Give me a minute while I browse history books looking for “The Great Gay War”.

7 Likes

It was on these very forums when LCC caused the Gaypocalypse. I’m a veteran

1 Like

This is literally the only reason I have been “against” another gay hero

Yeah, take advantage of the technology your theology tried to systematically destroy and keep from developing because “blasphemy”

That would be fun!

Now where is my openly atheist hero with their anti-god voice lines?

2 Likes

theres a million and a half things that are under represented in the world.

we dont need all of them.

Ps i think people that live in pineapples are under represented. This game needs spongebob.

4 Likes

I’m trying really hard to figure out which topics are satire and which are being serious, so I’ll treat em all serious

This is not a social MMO. We don’t need to represent every single little minority group, religion, sexuality, gender identity. Blizzard owes you nothing, they’re not obliged to represent your real life self in their cartoony game. All they owe us is a great hero shooter

1 Like

Will we ever get the story to continue because everyone has done absolutely NOTHING!

2 Likes

It is not a political belief. It is an ethical and moral issue.

I’m a Christian, a devout one, and my beliefs about sexuality reflect that, but my dude/dudette—someone having a sexual orientation is very different than someone having a religious belief. There will never be an overtly Christian hero, just like there will never be an overtly Muslim hero, just like there will never be an overtly Wiccan hero, etc. etc., because that is super dicey territory and will offend just about everyone (both those in the group and not in the group).

We don’t have any characters who have made any statement on abortion. It’s absurd to expect the game to have “representation” about a subject that has not been broached.

Beliefs/convictions are not the same things as innate identity.

4 Likes

Neither belong in video games imo.

under represented?

is this an american thing because its a multi racial country?

I’m afraid that Christianity is not an under represented group no matter how your personal local branch attempts to make you feel that way. :slight_smile:

An interesting thought, you should write about it in the lore forum.

If you equate the backstory of who a person loves / dates / marries with ideological or religious beliefs, you might be living in an echo chamber.

2 Likes

Sociopolitical issues are a thing. Religion and sexuality are individually societal issues, but can very easily flow over into a political spectrum. Abortion is sociopolitical through and through, though. It’s never been just one or the other, not since that supreme court ruling, Roe v Wade.

Personally i can’t wait for blizzard to showcase Hammond or Winston with a human lover.

After all love knows no bounds in this utopia right ?

1 Like

Sexuality is just a topic that’s “trendy” these days. You can hardly look around without seeing this formerly intimate and personal thing being sensationalized in medias and getting turned into a public spectacle. And there are those people of minority sexuality that don’t mind that and even embrace it, and then there are those who don’t think it is beneficial to their cause and that it in fact harms their difficultly acquired position.
And one can’t really wonder, when things that do not need sexuality mentioned at all suddenly get all these reveals. It is cheap. I might as well get a companion brochure with a freaking box of LEGO, to see which figure is attracted to which and how do they feel about each other sexually… but hey, pop the champaigne - representation achieved! One more step forward on this endless march to total acceptance and love of everyone by everyone everywhere for all times.

1 Like

Given how technically advanced the Overwatch universe seems to be, I think it’s safe to assume that Overwatch is somewhat a portrayal of the future world. As I’ve seen in my 23 years of being here, each years brings more representation, diversity, and more progressive thinking politically and socially.

You mention pro-lifers as being an under represented group. First, I’d like to note that is quite relative. Where I’m from, yee haw, pro-lifers are quite abundant and quite loud. I would not term them as a minority. In addition, throughout history, pro-life has been widely backed for decades; it was a majority and arguably isn’t that far from being the majority today as we are ever so slowly moving away from it.

That being said, as Overwatch seem to portray the future, I don’t believe this thought should even be entertained. A universe that is supposed to show humanity becoming more trustful in technology, but also a contested topic, more open to LGBTQ persons, more racially integrated society, a “flipped” society, I believe has no place for the super archaic thought, relative to their timeline, of “pro-life”. Not only would it come out of left field but it has no place on their currently constructed timeline.

1 Like

You’re basically saying pro-life people are super archaic and have no place in the future. That’s is about as bigoted as it gets.

Also to clarify while pro-lifers certainly exist, they get no representation in popular media which is what the topic is about.

I’m saying you should analyze poltical/social trends over time and realize how that plays a role in a game that is portraying the future.

2 Likes

Where is the line drawn?

1 Like