Will director Petras also be censored?

Reminder: Director Petras is mentioned in Recall and in the comic book Uprising. Petras is a very direct reference to OW director Bill Petras. But it should be noted that he is not the inspiration of the Petra map, being a real place that has this name. :slight_smile:

Having known that devs would like to limit the names of characters actually referred to the developers, I wonder if (for safety) it is not appropriate to also change the name of the director Petras in the lore of OW, before it can eventually be articulated in the lore of OW2 or projects various futures. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

They cannot, the Petras document is the document and already in many places which they cannot and won’t change. Do you want to destroy the logic Overwatch universe because of some real world event not connected to the Overwatch aside of just surname? Gosh. It’s just surname, not full name. William is not the only human on Earth with Petras surname. There are many other Petras people. What if his surname would be Smith, and so the document, would you still want to delete it? Many other Smith would you be mad at you. There are many people with the same surnames, first and second names. Them connected as full name like Jesse McCree allows to find one person on Earth most of time.

1 Like

given that not even I approve of McCree’s change (especially for the narrative reading, even before distinguishing the fictional character from the developer), basically you find me absolutely agree, don’t worry. :slight_smile:

the discussion intends to understand if there are intentions to follow the same directives applied to McCree for other elements of the Lore as well. I thought of director Petras according to the role / reference of the developer. I think it is legitimate to know from now if it is in their interests to apply the rename also to this character, before it is deepened to the point of annoying a future rehash (as happens now for McCree after about 6 years that we know him). :grimacing:

Petras is an extremely little-mentioned figure in the lore but … how much lore could involve him? maybe no more than Katya Volskaya, but we don’t know how far the precautionary decision to avoid giving dev references to lore characters should be extended. it’s not like simply changing a map sign if a scandal happens after xP.

1 Like

They can give Petras (that’s surname we know only about) any other first name than William and it will okay for the Overwatch universe logic and for the developer, gosh.

1 Like

Will Blizzard Smith Will Smith into SmithWatch?