Will blizzard keep pushing experienced players away with overpowered easy heroes?

exactly playing how like it was meant to be played is impossible unless you mainly stack with friends for fun.

imo games are harder in a 6 stack than if you are Solo Qing. people who used the LFG feature also realized that aspect.

Welcome to the painful world of OW.

Tbh, Overwatch is more of a MOBA than a FPS game.

2 Likes

If two heroes are equally good, the easier one would be picked over the hard one most of the time if not always.

The easier hero should trade effectivness for reliability. Thatā€™s balance.

3 Likes

Mercy already does this with her lack of self defense and brig does this by having a lack of range.

they already use this principle.

I was not implying that they do or do not use this thinking already.

but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s balanced. there are compositions that can be built that make it incredibly difficult to exploit those weaknesses.

Hence: goats.

It sure is balanced.

goats is hardly used as is and when it does in ranked you can just run a counter comp if your that scared of said possibility in your rank.

Heroes with a low skill floor should not inherently be bad at higher levels of play. They should however be more of a challenge to play effectively making their skill ceiling something to be proud of should a player be able to make a hero like that viable at higher levels of play.

Meanwhile high skill floor heroes will have more of a challenge at the beginning because you are learning how they functuon and how you can get the best value out of them. Once you master their basics and begin to climb you should be able to get more value more consistently, (not easily) just consistent.

So if both of these players meet on opposite teams you know the player with the 1star hero worked hard to get value out of that hero in order to play at the same level as the player with the 3star hero. Whom in turn had to learn the hero at a basic level before they could climb.

I just feel all heroes should have their skill ceiling and skill floors. No hero should be better simply because they are easy to pick up or more mechanically demanding. It should always be based on the playerā€™s willingness to make the hero work and do so by their own merit. Not because the hero was OP.

Mercy should not be made useless simply to give Ana more room to breath and be viable. If making one hero worse just to make the other hero better is the kind of balancing system a dev team is using then I canā€™t say I find that ā€œfair or funā€ as they like to claim.

If Mercy is able to be picked up for beginners and mastered for more advanced/competitive players then she should be viable at higher levels of play based on each individual player.

Likewise if a beginner picks up Ana they will struggle to figure out what works and they may become frustrated with the knowledge that they are lacking certain skills to make use of her properly. Thatā€™s ok, if they are a competitive by nature and truly wishes to master her they will learn and take each of their loses as a lesson. Whereas other players who are casual or not interested in the challenge will move on to a hero more ā€œbeginnerā€ friendly.

Should the Ana player not be rewarded for sticking it out and learning what works, of course they should. However they shouldnā€™t be given a leg up for free simply because she is a harder hero to learn. That is the challenge her player took on when choosing herā€¦ you risk dumbing her down by giving her more power and making her far more easily accessible to which her pick rate goes up and the usual community outcry for nerfs following after.

Ugh so late Iā€™m going to bed. You all have a good night. Sorry for text wall.

Tl;dr
Hahaā€¦ you lazy? So am I read it. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I see goats all the time. I also see it played in the world cup all the time. Finland almost beat South Korea with it. it came down to OT on the 5th map

Then you should know that its easily countered?

if it was like season 1-2 where ults occurred more often, than certainly. however since that the time ofg mid fights have increased, the aspects of aim and who gets the first kill have become a bigger advantage.

mercy has a low skill floor and a low skill ceiling. so does brigitte. they both have far lower floor and ceiling than eveyr other hero in the game. that, and bastion.

Iā€™m saying the game as a whole is more of a MOBA than a FPS. I mean, FPS games usually donā€™t have blue dragons that can one shot most of the hero roster within a second.

2 Likes

tell that to South Korea

Yea and we wanna fix that for mercy by giving her a higher skill ceiling :thinking:

brig is fine as she is currently as she is pretty solid.

and bastion um he needs reworked after torbjorn.

I donā€™t speak their language.

pretty hard to say brig is fine. goats is an issue

Not really for me or my friends we can counter it quite easily.

if they need to do some adjusting other other heroā€™s though in that comp sure go ahead but brig isnā€™t the issue.

they do balance for the proā€™s anyhow.

(even at the games detriment)

how do you counter it?

Yes now Mercy has NO skill ceiling at all. There is nothing to master but her basic kit and basic game sense that all players learn on any hero so thereā€™s that. So not only is she unfair to play, boring to play she has nothing to master that would make a player proud. Not saying some players dont find her enjoyable but for ME no thanks. Thereā€™s no hero there anymore just a healbot, rezbot, boosterbot, chandelier fixture. :woman_shrugging:

But to each their ownā€¦

2 Likes