[WIKI-THREAD] Workshop suggestions 2!

Well this is possible if developers expose these entities in workshop, in DataTool these bots are inside game files, but only used in events.

• Restart gamemode by script, change game mode by script, and also change map by script.
  • Declare persistent storage between maps, for example save current player hero in playervar H, and change map, and restore playervar H from previous map. (I tried to create uprising archives in workshop, keep same hero in control and skirkmish modes, but without success)
  • Ability to disable control point, payload capturing, etc.
  • Also a way to move rules/actions and conditions without select one by one and move clicking buttons.

You do know you can edit this in the thread itself right? :stuck_out_tongue:

its a wikithread, anyone can edit it

this is included in “Drag and drop”

1 Like

Ops, sorry, i didn’t known.

i forgot that :joy:

I’m updating my personal most wanted, once again :slight_smile:

1. Script size: I know it may not be possible for technical reasons or actually increase the server cost for Blizzard, but if there is ANY way to increase the maximum script size that would be so amazing :slight_smile: (I would be willing to pay for a premium version of workshop that comes with more features, if the price is reasonable.)
  1. It would be really helpful for me to have an option to protect settings in a lobby while working on a new workshop mode or update:
    • Switching between public and protected mode could be added with a drop down menu on the lobby screen (similar to the existing drop down menu that allows users to control who can see their custom game in the game browser.)
    • In a lobby with protected settings, the script could only be opened and edited by the creator of the lobby, settings could only be changed by the creator of the lobby, and both settings and script could only be copied and saved by the creator of the lobby.
    • Creating a share code from a protected lobby would create a protected share code.
    • Importing a protected share code would open a lobby with protected settings where the creator of the share code counts as creator of the lobby (if the person who imported the share code is not the creator of the share code, then they could’t change, copy, or save any settings and couldn’t see the script).
  • This would allow workshop users to test their works in progress in public games without having to worry about other players spreading unfinished/bugged versions of their game mode. It would also protect players from trolls who manipulate scripts to annoy other players. The obvious downside would be that you couldn’t see the script someone is using anymore and couldn’t find out how other game modes work if the creator doesn’t want you to.
  1. Official support for custom strings with multiple lines would save me many hours of tiresome work.
  2. A way to update existing share codes instead of creating new ones would also save me a lot of work :slight_smile:
  3. If it were possible to check if players entered certain strings in chat, get sub strings of what they entered and convert them to values (so “1” becomes int 1), that would be so helpful as well :slight_smile:
  4. A paste custom string in chat action would also be really nice to have.
  5. The dream, of course, would be a map maker tool (I know that’s not realistic, but still) :slight_smile:
  6. A set next map to action.
  7. Any way to store variables beyond one match.
3 Likes

we got more workshop stuff bois!

i really need to update the “things were done” section…

edit: i saw you there typing zach, you cant escape my eagle eyesight

2 Likes

Hi all! Just checking in :slight_smile:

Hopefully you guys all saw the Workshop Update in the PTR Patch Notes!

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the great feedback. We hope to keep adding in more and more of the stuff you want/need/ask for.

Keep making awesome Workshop modes!

17 Likes

Oh yes, thank you so much, now we can create pseudo-enumeration list with arrays and the possibility to assign string values to variables :D. A top notch feature would be a case switch like handling for Arrays, (goes into Dictionary or Map Container Pattern idk if additional Containers are needed or suitable to expose), numeric and string values. Great job , guys !

1 Like

Yo Zach!

Sort of unrelated and I’m sorry for that but would you guys consider bringing back All-Star Doomfist for another skin sale?

I wasn’t able to reach my PC in time due to the COVID pandemic and I’m pretty sure a lot of other players are in the same situation. I’d love if you could comment on this if possible. Love you guys!!

i dont think Zach is in charge of that

5 Likes

Yeah such request belongs to another Thread, it has nothing to do with the workshop.

6 Likes

This might be a big challenge but I think it would be really awesome if we had the option to change the skybox on every map. For example changing the skybox in Temple of Anubis from day to night time.

I know it’s not as simple as just changing the skybox because the lighting will also need to be changed too ofc, but it’s a suggestion i’d really love to see be put into the game at some point in the future.

You can technically do this already by just teleporting people above it

This is amazing man. The number of elements went from almost 20000 on Live to nearly 10000 on the PTR. That’ll give me a ton of room to flesh out some of my gamemodes!

One thing that I really wish would be added that I’ve been dying for since last summer is the ability to apply Orisa’s Fortify as a status for CC immunity. There have been so many gamemodes that I’ve made where that would make things infinitely easier to pull off. Thanks for all your hard work on the workshop, it’s my favorite part of Overwatch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m really unfamiliar with all the terms you guys are using, can someone translate what the new functions do for a neophyte please?

Yeah my bad I looked through the post he wrote. Just trying to get the devs attention since I wasn’t able to get them to check out my other thread. Thanks for the heads up bro

Thank you soo much for the new workshop update! especially the ability to store strings in variables.
It would be so great if we have these values to know about players movement:

Is Going Straight
Is Going Backward
Is Going Left
Is Going Right

Or Directional constants like Up, Down, Left, Right

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Forward(straight) = throttle of(event player) == vector(0, 0, 1)
Backward = throttle of(event player) == vector(0, 0, -1)
Left = throttle of(event player) == vector(1, 0, 0)
Right = throttle of(event player) == vector(-1, 0, 0)

We do have them already (?)

4 Likes

Does not this script executes that you want to?

example
Player Closest To Reticle(Event Player, Filtered Array(All Living Players(All Teams), Compare(Current Array Element, !=,
	Event Player)))

When a result has to be a player and we pass an array then it takes only first element from the array. And in this case it should be a closest living player I guess.

More info about me and my game mods you can find here.

not sure, i didnt add that one,

not all of the suggestions here were made by me, its a collection of the ideas of like 10+ people

I really would like to have switch operations, it would make state handling more easier and removes some clutter of multiple if-elseif-else statements, it also can beneft from break and continue to control the execution flow.