WiFi Connection Drops in OW Only

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing a strange issue for a couple weeks now, where my WiFi connection would drop during online Overwatch matches, and during Overwatch only. I could be doing anything else or playing any other game and it would work fine. I have Comcast, I can’t hardwire and I have already checked my firewalls and antivirus, but the issue persists.

Does anyone have a fix for this?
Thanks in advance…

Probably some port bs you have to open b/c their game does not work well with wifi lolz BUT they will blame it on you and say it’s not the game…go figure. But yea, check the ports and look at the wifi setup here on the site. It’s somewhere.

What other games are you playing? Sometimes this can be caused by an LAN adapter being overloaded. If you look on reddit for “Overwatch disconnects internet” you’ll see it’s been covered a bunch… even though it actually isn’t the app causing the issue.

I don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue, I’ve tried using the game’s limit bandwidth features.

Did you check any of those reddit threads I mentioned?

I did. They were of no help. I checked the instance in Event Viewer. It says for all instances, “Name resolution for the name irr. blizzard .com (no spaces) timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.”

So this means that you are actually having a connection problem. It could be something on the route between you and Blizzard, or it could be your own hardware. Can you post some WinMTR test results for us to examine?

Sorry, I’ve done this once before for Blizzard Support and they said everything checked out with what those tests show. Really don’t feel like going through that again.

It’s impossible to solve the issue without doing any steps to troubleshoot.

That is not true. I’ve already stated that I have already ran these tests, for a Blizzard agent even. They said it checked out and that they don’t know what the issue is. I know it’s not my ISP, because all my other devices stay online. It is only my one single computer playing Overwatch that this happens to and it only happens when I play Overwatch, no other game. I swear this has something to do with the game or the servers.

Also I will add that a basic forum search for disconnects yields pages of people talking about this, about it only happening for one device, only for Overwatch and only in Comp games, which is the same case for me. I could and have played hours of free play without any problems. Blizzard needs to figure something out, I’m actually thinking of switching back to Call of Duty…

It might not be your ISP, it might be the routing partners they use or that Blizzard uses to connect your computer to the Overwatch servers. I can’t speak for the technical support agent you worked with previously, I can only try to help from information you provide (none). I’ll keep watching thread if you want to add any, but just saying “they need to fix it” doesn’t make anything happen. :frowning:

Happened again tonight. Waited 5 minutes in Comp queue in a group. As soon as we got in a game, lost connection. Blizzard is planning on releasing a remastered version of Overwatch for the next update, making us reinstall the whole game again. If this update doesn’t fix this mess, then there’s no hope. No longer will I put up with being suspended for 25+ minutes and penalized for something that is out of my control. They should also know the difference between leaving a match and being disconnected with behavior patterns or some type of algorithm, especially since I’m an avid player since Season 1 and have never purposefully and willingly left a comp game.

I get this almost everytime I play on my laptop. I get disconnected and then it will log me in to disconnect again. I play wireless, but on my desktop (also wireless) I have no problems. Is there anyway they can fix this…

Okay but a game client cannot force your internet to disconnect. It can request a lot of data, and flood protection on your router/modem can disconnect the service to “protect” itself.

Then perhaps Overwatch is doing this at times, flooding our router/modem with too much information. That being said, the game client is the root cause and perhaps not fully optimized for network hardware. Although, I’ve even tried playing with the network limiters set and it still happened. We’ll see if this new backend update fixed it though…

I have the same problem. Overwach work when I use wired connection and my phone as source of wifi but not when I use my main router. Which setting in router can possibly fix it?