Widow desperately needs a nerf

She will stay a threat at sniping range but she will also be a more threat at close range too. Isn’t it what widows want? To shoot the flanking Genjis or tracers in the face with a side arm. She will be more versatile. But to balance her mobility and long range damage must suffer. So it is a win win rite.

in every game sniper kill the fun.

2 Likes

She would be useless at range.
Genji and Tracer are nowhere near as big of an issue to rework Widow, or release Brigitte.
Widow is THE well designed hero, more heroes should be like her, not the other way around.

Widow doesn’t need a sidearm to deal with close ranged targets, stop freaking out/panicking and scope em if you don’t have Grapple on CD/want to take the duel. One shot + Melee = Dead Tracer, and if the Genji’s a typical Genji he’ll be doing his basic boi floaty easy to track Double Jump spam pfft.

:joy: I love Widow but lol @ thinking Winston or DVa actually counter her. Good Widow deletes Winston/halves him as he’s jumping in and DVA’s piddly 2s DM doesn’t save her from having a giant crit box after the Widow baits it out. Best counter to Widow is another Widow, always has been against good Widows.

EDIT: This forums replying stuff is weird, that first part aint for you.

Finally, an illustration of what a great Widow can do. Something like this should have been put into the original post since too many players instinctively envision a Widow that is infamous from long range but an invalid in close quarters. The OP is not going to get a reasonable discussion from this thread with this line of thinking.

People usually forget that snipers are Tacticians

Terrible map design issues more so than character power issues. They design maps so that Pharah or Widow are insanely powerful on them instead of having fair access points and cover which is stupid. You can’t balance either of those characters when that issue is present you will always either have to nerf them until they are trash or they will be brokenly overpowered just by being decent because of built in advantages.

1 Like

But you said a skilled Widow. If the Widow player is skilled, then of course it’s gonna be hard to play against. Just like every other hero. If the player is skilled of course they’re gonna be hard to play against.

1 Like

Widow herself is pretty balanced. If anything, she is slightly on the weak side in terms of her kit so I’d like to see her SMG and mine buffed a bit.

Though she is one of the better heroes in the sense that her power comes about 95% from the player themselves. Nothing about playing her is easy. She requires skill and diligent commitment to be consistently effective with and at high levels of play, where players are more aware and punishing, she needs the most teamwork of any hero. She’s working as intended.

That’s when you take a secondary exit or any main tank shield

No, because hanzo is the one keeping tanks ‘in check’ right now.

I understand you probably don’t play Widowmaker, that’s fine. But don’t say she requires less effort than Mr. Mobility himself.

2 Likes

r/facepalm

Really, she has been a super niche pick hero due to her dive counter. And she hasn’t gotten game changing buffs or nerfs, It’s just the new meta.
just deal with it…

1 Like

Or with a dive tank like Winston forcing the enemy Widow to change her position, a fellow dps can take advantage of that small window of opportunity to make a power play while Widow is preoccupied with Winston.

Y’know, maybe if you guys remembered this game’s a team game and not a turn-based 6v6 singles strategy like Pokemon, maybe you’d see things differently.

Problem is, any Widow that’s actually a problem immediately turns a 6v6 fight into a 5v6 before you even know where she is. If you’re committing 2 or more teammates toward attacking her on top of that, you’re leaving the rest of your team to fight a 5v3.

And even if she DOESN’T get the pick, it’s still a 5v4. This is all with no guarantee you’ll actually kill her, either. This is what you’re suggesting just for the OPPORTUNITY to kill her.

I mean, when people suggested that you send 1 flanker to look for Mercy before a fight, people thought that was too hard.

2 Likes

Widowmaker is a sniper. She even has a voice line that says something along the lines of: “one hit one kill”, but I can’t recall which it is at the moment.

Widowmaker is meant to be played in that way, but it doesn’t come without a price and that price is skill level. Which Widowmaker has a really high skill level.

1 Like

Eliminating an obnoxious threat like an oppressive team-carrying enemy Widow can be enough to shift the battle into your favor, even if you start the fight with a number disadvantage.

And if you’re that worried about a teammate getting picked off before the real fight begins, just have a Mercy as one of your supports to Rez the unlucky teammate. Y’know, coz Rez counters sniper pick-offs.

then there are all the “not so good” ones… idk it’s more satisfying to play recon in bf1

“Can”, yes. But as I said before: you’re suggesting initiating a 5v4 battle every team fight just to make sure your team gets a chance to kill Widow. Again, not a guarantee. A chance.

Yes, because it’s not like people think this already makes the other supports useless or anything.

It’s a videogame. Whether you realize it or not, you’re always taking chances.

She did get game changing nerf: Grapple Hook got a 4-second cooldown reduction - from 12 seconds to 8 seconds. During the 12-second cooldown era, pro players and high-rank players (Masters+) were constantly complaining about her low mobility. Granted, this was during the Dive Meta era, so it was a fair complaint, but to have a very important ability’s cooldown reduced by 33% is huge.

I would not say that Widow’s shots need a nerf, though. If anything needs attention, it’s her Grapple and Mine, nothing else.