Why you don't fix the levels on matchmaking?

Level does play a small role in the teammates you receive. However the majority of accounts are not over lvl 1000. It’s very rare than I get people under lvl 100 in games and a majority of the time they play just like everyone else.

I’m lvl 1200, btw.

1 Like

Please stop making stuff up.

4 Likes

This is not new information that I haven’t said before. I can guarantee you that I can log onto my sub-100 account and get people in the 200 or less range then (in the same SR range) then log into my 1200 account and get people in the high 500-1000+ range more consistently than you’re able to dispute.

[edit:] You know for a fact that I am willing to put effort where my mouth is. Want me to start recording the level ranges in my games and prove it to you?

1 Like

If you take screen shots of your lobby for twenty games (or however many in takes to show a statistically significant difference) on each account, that is data. Your blatant assertions are worthless.

Note that for the data to be usable, you must be at approximately the same SR in each. There is a scaling of level with SR, but that is because higher SR players tend to have more playtime, not because the game matches similar playtime players together.

Yes.

How do you want me to send you my data once compiled? Want me to make a post? Send it to you once you log on?

Probably the easiest is to upload screenshots to a public google drive folder, and post in How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 19), but I’m flexible.

I’ll begin recording data now. You can log on anytime and ask about the progress (you’re on my friends list) but it could take a few days to gather the data due to the DPS for my main account (1300sr/lvl 1152) and secondary account (1300sr/lvl 68? i believe) being in the tanking role.

A loooong time ago I either read a Dev post or saw a dev video which mentioned trying to keep really, really new players out of matches with the general population. However I got the impression it was only the first few levels during QP and although it wasn’t explicitly stated I got the impression it was not designed to affect competitive at all (i.e. by the time you reach level 25 it would not be in effect any more).

I definitely noticed it was all really low level players for the first few levels when I started my second account but that was at the start of season 8 so I can’t remember how long it seems to last.

I’m interested to see Eyevou’s data. However I’m not expecting it to support their theory.

Why is it important . I dont see your point. Higher level doesnt mean player is better.

1 Like

“We also do special things for brand new players to (hopefully) keep them away from the general population.” – Jeff Kaplan Overwatch Forums Jun 21st, 2016 (Competitive wasn’t in the game yet).

The last time I created an account, that was true in early quick play games, but was gone by the time I started playing competitive (at level 25).

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the quote I meant. Thanks for digging it up and posting it.

Your experience sounds like mine. I’m pretty certain it doesn’t affect competitive at all.

The new player thing only lasts maybe the first 4 or 5 levels.

What I’m suggesting is that when you’re below level 100 you’re more likely to be placed with 300 or below and it’s not a hard or fast rule, just more likely.

Yeah we understand what you meant. We just disagree and think it doesn’t happen. If you produce data proving it to be true I will gladly accept I was wrong, and I’m sure Kaawumba will, too.

The thing I brought up about brand new accounts was more of a discussion point which is related but was not meant as a reply or argument to your assertion. Sorry for the minor hijack.

I asked about this years ago, but for both ends; most low levels do not want to play someone above level 500 and level 500 really doesn’t want to play with them either but blizz doesn’t care. It seems whatever reason it is the same reason for letting bronze play in silver games silver and gold and then gold in silver and bronze which is even worse. It never made sense and never will, because they ignore this issue

1 Like

I agree with this to a point, but a higher player is more understanding of the game 90% of the time unless its an alt account or someone who was really good on fps games before

Thanks for your consideration guys.
I try to be more clear:

I am level 1200, main off tank and I play from season 8. Usually high Diamond but plat with my main after the beta role queue.

I think that after almost four years of Overwatch, the community is full of high leveled people, on Xbox too, and I don’t think that a right leveled matchmaking can affect the queue times.
And if wait 5 minutes more means a cleaner match, yes, I would wait 5 minutes more.

With right leveled matchmaking I don’t mean that I want only to play with level 1200 or more, read better because I said that the 80% of matches, 4 of 6 people in my team are UNDER LEVEL 80.
I think this is a big error from blizzard, and Im sure that if they fix that sh*t, they fix the 90% of problems in competitive matches.

I know that the level 1200 is not ever more skilled than a level 30, I know that, Im not saying that a level under 100 is a noob.

But you can agree with me when I talk about experience, knowing the mechanism, know how to counter a Pharah, a Tracer.
Be more flexible, know how to play more heroes, can go shield if needed, heal good (!!!) and all that essentials stuffs that make overwatch a beautiful game.

A level under 80, for me, is a person who has few hours on heroes, and he doesn’t has that intuiton because he has no sufficient experience.
Others level under 80 are smurfs who are training with some heroes, they doesn’t care about SR, about shield needed, others (is full of) are trolls, leavers ,etc.
Sometimes they’re OP because maybe Master or GM with their mains and they carry a whole team, or they kill your entire team.

You see the mess now? You see the frustration after 1400 hours in this game?

I don’t know, Im not developer at Blizzard, but there is really no way, in 2020, to organize the matchmaking in groups?! Like levels 0-500, 500-1000, 1000+?

Another problem is that often, in the same game, the team is composed by 2 diamond 2 low golds or sometimes silver, and 2 plat. How is this a smart and leveled matchmaking? How makes sense the word “rank” in this situation? Why they don’t want to easy clean it?

It’s a mess, be honest.
Maybe is too much, but Im disappointed because I love this game, I spent 25 years of my life (Im 29) playing games and OW is maybe the most perfect Online competitive game ever played (I talk about the game and his mechanism, not the situation, the mess is caused by the people).
(Don’t care about my bad english please, I hope I’ve been clear)

Here is the data you were interested in:

1 Like
  1. = reset this carbuncle of a ladder.

If longer queue times mean more entertaining games yes, i want longer queues

How many accounts over level 1000 do you think actively play? In your region? At your MMR? At the same time you play?

How long are you willing to wait?

Perhaps a post in the LFG section of the forum, or in-game, for certain levels would help you.

I’d be willing to bet over 90% of active accounts under level 100 are alt accounts. All-time accounts are probably closer to 99% alt accounts

1 Like