Why we need Mercy back!

I’m a bit too stubborn to be slowed by grief at this point.

Denial and advocacy are two very different things.

2 Likes

And yet, you saw a point in engaging in the conversation here.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I got used to her by now to be honest. I was fighting it for a long time and i even was in aria roses discord for gods sake. However i left it and ignored all the negetivity around the game to clear my head. It turned out i was more of a sheep, because I don’t really mind new mercy now.

Also what i found out that ana bores me. Yeah it was cancer to survive against those flankers, but now you litterly just shoot tanks… I mean wow how awsome is that x) I wasn’t there back then, but i can’t imagine why people liked ana back then when tripple tank was a thing.

1 Like

Oh good, I was hoping someone would bring that up. Let’s get the full quote in here.

"We have no plans to revert Mercy. We also feel like she’s not in a horrible place or unplayable.

It’s still to be determined if she is exactly where she should be because it has been too soon and the dust needs to settle. Her playtime in QP and Comp is still incredibly high. Her winrate is still above 50% but more in line with what we’d expect.

But I’d like to put the notion that Mercy is going to be reverted to rest.

Also, we don’t agree with the statement that all supports are weak. Support heroes are extremely powerful and impactful in OW."

First, it’s important to note exactly what he is talking about. He’s not talking about the reintroduction of mass-Resurrect in any form; he’s talking about a revert, which means going back to Mercy 1.x’s state as it was before the rework. Thus, that already eliminates the generalization from this post to “Mass-Resurrect isn’t coming back”.

Furthermore, he also said “We have no plans to revert Mercy” in the post, which is obviously carefully worded to leave that as an option should they see it fit, which clearly follows the same philosophy as that which was stated when they revealed Deathmatch to us, after saying that they would not add it: “Never say never”.

I have no plans to eat a big bowl of ice cream today; that doesn’t mean that I won’t eat a big bowl of ice cream today. With some convincing, I could probably be motivated to make those plans.

Moreover, the second time he mentioned it in the post is also carefully worded. “I’d like to put the notion that Mercy is going to be reverted to rest.”
It’s a bit of an odd way to say that if the true intention to convey that a revert is completely off the table, permanently. Notice that is says “the notion that Mercy is going to be,” which refers to the affirmative notion and the immediate future rather than the more distant one. It does not confirm that Mercy is staying as-is; rather, it disproves the notion that Mercy will definitively be reverted in the near future. If he meant to say that Mercy will not be reverted, period, he would have said “Mercy will not be reverted to her 1.x state,” rather than being surgical with his phrasing.

Well, considering the amount of persistent backlash the rework has and is still receiving along with the fact that over half of the old Mercy playerbase no longer plays Mercy, I think it’s safe to say that he was wrong in that assertion. Although I don’t suppose he foresaw the rework backfiring as hard as it did.

Considering that said statement was made over a year ago, and we’re still going strong against it on top of the statistical evidence that it was a colossal failure, I think his position on that may have weakened a bit since then.

And yet, through all of that, there is no assertion that “Mass-Resurrect isn’t coming back”.

And again, given the persistent backlash and the statistical evidence that, quite simply, he was wrong, I think his position may have weakened since over a year ago.

Yet again, the assertion that “Mass-Resurrect isn’t coming back” is mysteriously abscent from that interview.

This is operating under the assumption that the developers are competent.

I don’t think I need to load up the patch history to say that said assumption is not accurate.

Considering the competence level of the balance team, I honestly doubt that they tried much beyond what the playerbase as a whole was given access to. A glance at some of the other heroes in the game and their reworks indicate the same thing; their abilities only needed adjustments, yet we got a full-blown rework, which failed to solve the intended issues while causing more problems or sometimes pissing off the hero’s playerbase. See Bastion and Symmetra.

And then there’s the fact that Mercy’s original rework made it past internal testing in the first place. :roll_eyes:

Literally the only non-negligible difference between the alpha-stage Valkyrie and today’s Valkyrie is the free flight, which resembles that of the spectator camera that already existed in-game.

Hell, they literally took part of Resurrect’s activation animation and used that as the activation animation for Valkyrie. It’s painfully obvious that Valkyrie is a conglomerate of scrapped or preexisting features with a few flipped values.

They clearly didn’t think through this when reworking Mercy.

Literally all of these existed before.

The activation animation is just the wing animation from Resurrect.
Chain beams are already a thing with Orisa’s Supercharger. Take that, turn it yellow for the healing beam, and reduce the chain range, and you have Valkyrie’s chain beams.

And reworking Symmetra again also seemed like a lot of unnecessary work (which, I might add, added more new and unique visuals/mechanics than Mercy’s rework did), when they totally could have worked with what already existed.

3 Likes

Please give me that globe where you saw the future, it happened :scream:

2 Likes

Hello.

I’m not one to shy away from things. I find it much more effective to hit them head-on.

That’s kind of my philosophy in life; if I’m going to bother with something, why evade it when you can hit it head-on and get something out of it?

Now, if I’m overwhelmed with too many replies to deal with, then sometimes I’ll just neglect them (in which case, I’m not bothering with them). That will probably soon become the case, as I still have about 1400 replies to catch up on in one of my threads, and I’m working on another thread that will be going up Soon™.

2 Likes

I think there’s a problem with the argument when it is so heavily flawed that it can be shot down by a counter you see coming from a mile away.

where did she go???

She is still impactful. Denying 1 pick can be a huuuuuge swing in fights.

3 Likes

Your counter comes down to, people can change their minds though…

Ofcourse there’s always this option, but when it’s been 1.5 years and they have said multiple times that they want to keep Valk, it’s safe to say that a revert/rework is not going to happen.

3 Likes

We also had 1.5 years of pre-rework Mercy before getting any indication that a rework was on the horizon.

We still have no indication that a Bastion rework is on the horizon, and he’s been long overdue for a large set of buffs at the least, potentially a rework.

Also, even though the fact that the developers can change their mind stands, thus nullifying the notion that “Mass-Resurrect will never come back”, there’s another argument that you overlooked in my previous post:

2 Likes

PTR is for code that has already been approved for release to the live version of the game, for additional no-cost-to-blizzard user testing

PTR is not for hey try this out see if you like it scenarios

And there you confirmed what Quest said:

4 Likes

Thereby confirming what I said:

2 Likes

How to have fun as Mercy:

• Spot enemies who are out of position
  • Whip out your pistol
  • Pew pew pew

Don’t ask for buffs when Mercy already has

• One of the best movement abilities in the game
  • The most consistent healing without the need of reloading/recharging
  • An ability to bring an ally back to life
  • High damage per second output

Just please, don’t ask for buffs just because you’re bad. Learn to aim and use Mercy’s Valkyrie to its full potential by utilizing chain damage boost and your god damn pistol. It’s there for a reason.

-Sincerely, a fellow Mercy main.

2 Likes

the mental gymnastics to bend and ignore what the devs said reeks of delusion.

i played only Xenoblade and LOVED it. Currently playing xenoblade 2 after skipping on X (i now have it, but i know it’s a spin off).
Xenogears and xenosaga always fascinated me, i’m just waiting for the right moment to play them all.
I love my big scifi doorstoppers.

1 Like

PTR

Public Testing Realm

Where you can test possible future features.

The PTR is barely used to do this already. It’s not “hey try this” as you rudely assumed. It should be more of “here’s how the game is, and here’s how it would work with these features”.

OW has changed a lot since it was first out-things that could have been considered “bad” or “going against it’s flow” back then could possibly work today.

Testing features they once had to see if they fit.

Gosh you’re pretty rude aren’t you?

1 Like

My biggest problem with Mercy is this,yes what you said it’s true but 50 hp/s is just bad.

But she doesn’t need it.
And even if Blizzard were to buff her healing, we’d have a new healer meta on our hands.

1 Like

Factually, what is it used for is to let the public have a go at what they intend to release soon. Allows a much larger number of testers that Blizzard employees to perform additional testing, at no cost to Blizzard, and results in a few bugs being caught before the actual release to live

It isn’t a “try this out, maybe we’ll do this” environment, its a “this is what will be released, feel free to give it a try before we do” environment

I suppose there could be such an environment, and maybe even should be

However, this is not the case for this environment

I state facts and opinions, without ever intending to be rude

If you feel I was rude to you, I offer my apologies.