Why the off-season got removed

Continuing the discussion from Season 13 Ending Soon:

The OW team knows that off-season kills the Overwatch viewership on Twitch and losing momentum for a week isn’t something they want this close to OWL Season 2

9 Likes

Because it was a mess and waste of time? No one really liked it and I shared with a few friends who were positively ecstatic to hear it was renoved.

30 Likes

Because it was pointless & there are no changes of value on the ptr

4 Likes

it’s not stated in their post is whether this is a permanent change or just for the S13/S14 break. or, for that matter, if any other changes are being made to competitive seasons for S14 onwards. comp seasons have more or less been on autopilot since season 6 (aside from adding the new sprays/icons every 2 months), so i’m curious to see if they have bigger changes planned.

Now if we can remove placement because no one likes those and a bigger waste of time.

Probably has a lot to do with it, but sadly they aren’t trying to fix the mode though going on 3 years and it still a mess.

3 Likes

Oh that’s brilliant news! I never understood the point of offseason besides it being a forced, awful break from comp. I do hope this will be a thing for all seasons from now.

2 Likes

This is great news. Now I don’t have to wait a week to play competitive. yay!

2 Likes

That’s likely part of it, but it should also mitigate another problem that people complain about every season - end-of-season throwers and trolls.

3 Likes

About time. (Seriously)

I’m actually sad to see it go. I used it to play characters I usually sucked with. Oh well, I can always replicate it doing LFGs for QP.

Can’t they just remove seasons and just give regular competitive point drops on a month by month basis or something? (*)

ie. you play your 10 competitive games for the month and you will get your points?

I mean that is what seasons are for right? To distribute competitive points?

(*) I’m kidding btw, remove both competitive points and the current iteration of seasons and put in a proper league or something.

I opened the twitch app the other day and saw:
Overwatch 18,xxx
Fortnite 173,xxx

What viewership.

2 Likes

I fear in 2020 they are going to cut down on Overwatch just like they did with Heroes of the storm.

thank god it got removed.
it really wasn’t fun to wait 2 days for the next season.

1 Like

Sounds like a smart business decision.

2 Likes

Next step, remove seasons altogether. Last week of season and beginning week of season are both awful because of all the throwers and trolls that come into comp

Just like cancer to spread wildly in a body that has no means of fending it off.

Or it could be because they’re adding a new regular mode for comp-practice, so there isn’t much point in an off season anymore.

Or simply because it actually sucked and they recognize that people were just waiting for the next season to start anyways, and this isn’t a mobile game, so arbitrary wait times are pointless.

Also, obligitory
OWL is not the product of satan and isn’t to blame for every little thing.

Can ya’ll please stop coming up with new ways to try and demonize it?

Soon after I made a fortnite account, my email was bombarded with “Attempted login” resulting in lock out emails.
Probably 70k bots.

In favor of what? Mobile Diablo? Overwatch is their biggest current hit.