Why the name "Talon"?

Do you guys think that we’ll ever get an explanation as to why the antagonistic organization is called Talon?

Because the only explanation I can come up with is that the writers needed a “Cobra” to their “G.I. Joe” and took inspiration from that name.

And if that’s the only reason, it would be kinda disappointing and lame.

1 Like

cool name ig

4 Likes

My father justifying to my mother my name :

3 Likes

loool

“dad why is my sisters name narcissist?”

“because your mother loves narcissists”

“thanks dad”

“no problem, myself”

8 Likes

“Narcissus, I said my favorite flowers are Narcissus”

1 Like

Probably just wanted a darker, less heroic sounding name for an organization. Because Talon sounds almost unnerving, but not necessarily “evil”, if you will.

It’s important to remember that Doomfist, the leader of Talon, isn’t some supervillain who wants to dominate the planet. He wants a worldwide war so that humanity can benefit from it and grow stronger. He has good intentions but poor methods

5 Likes

Yeah, like in my initial post. It seems like they just wanted something that sounded sinister, like “Cobra”. But I don’t see why they couldn’t create some lore reason to justify its name.

Good intentions? More like a person with a lot of power that misinterprets Darwin’s theories as most people do.
His character is a mix of Sagat and Dictator from Street Fighter.

2 Likes

Talon, because they have their claws in everything? idk, it just sounds cool and edgy.

6 Likes

Cool and Edgy? So Reaper must’ve come up with it :grin:

5 Likes

Obviously it’s a reference to the founder of Talon.

3 Likes

I agree. It’s a cool and edgy name

1 Like

Talon
Bird
Grasp the world in their sharp talons
Screech like a bird
Their message of war to evolve to the people
Suppose it’s like
they have a forceful grasp on the world and force their messages on them whether they like it or not? even english classes can save me now rip

3 Likes

Well, Dr. Claw was the main antagonist of Inspector Gadget. :laughing:

:grin: With a shot of Apocalypse (X-Men) and Ra’s al Ghul (Batman). :wink:

1 Like

All the answers I’ve been getting seems to point to the fact that the name evokes them being sinister, aggressive, strong, and dominating. But isn’t counterproductive to give your terrorist organization a villainous sounding name?

But then again, Soldier’s secret identity is his id number :crazy_face:

I think we can come up with a motto like the one Team Rocket has for Talon with the words you used on your post.

Nice reference! Also, an Inspector Gadget skin would look great for Genji…M’lady.

I wrote Sagat because of the obvious influence and Dictator(Vega or M. Bison, depending on your localization) because of the weird Social Darwinism ideology(that dumb people insist it’s true).

1 Like

my inner lit teacher:

Talons are one of the most common feature for predators. They symbolize how brutal are views of Talon: they are claming to operate by nature’s laws (Doomfist,), yet they are themselves inhuman, they betrayed their own nature (Doomfist, Mauga, Reaper, Moira). Nobody can escape their grasp: Symmetra, Lucio, Orisa and Storm Rising, Retribution, Zarya’s searching are events and characters that were created under enforced “Talon” circumstances. . Talons are monsters, watching and hiding before tasting the prey (Sombra, Sanjay, Maximilien). it doesn’t matter if prey escapes or not: claws leave unrepairable scars (Ana, Sigma, Widowmaker, Tracer). Baptiste was just lucky to get his immortality field in time, but there’s still someone after him: Talons can be cut off but they are restoring over time.

5 Likes

Cool analysis, integrating the symbolism with their motivation and actions. The only problem is that “the nature’s law” aspect of Talon came with Akande(DF), and the organization seems to precede him :confused:

1 Like

Because Marvel already copyrighted “Claw”

Claw? :thinking: I only know “Klaw” (Ulysses Klaue/Klaw) and “Yellow Claw” (Plan Chu) at Marvel. :sweat_smile:

If they wanted “Claw” I guess they could’ve used it in another language?

On a more serious note, I’m glad we can’t copyright existing words.

Basically, haha

Reaper’s design is based on an owl and as far as launch Overwatch went, Reaper was the only apparent leader of the organization (until they started filling in some more blanks in the lore and mentioning Doomfist)

I could see Talon being the name they came up with while looking at the core team they had designed back then “Now introducing, the dastardly Reaper… agent of Talon!”

1 Like