Why Storm Rising Was a Bit Lackluster- story wise

my major issue with it is actually the way that the lore was presented 2 us. There was comparatively little, the characters don’t banter with each other like they did in either uprising or retribution. They missed a big opportunity to really flesh out the relationships on this team like how the relationships between the other two teams got fleshed out.

Instead we kind of got 3 characters whose personalities are very similar, and genji. The only discerning factors between tracer, mercy and winston is that winston sounds a bit more sciency, mercy tells us very straightforward whats happening in the world instead of talking abt it like a normal human being would) and tracers a bit lacking in the strategies department. Several dialogue options that include Tracer, winston and mercy could easily be switched between the three of them without any noticeable difference. The only really distinct characterization is really Genji.

lets take a look see, and change characters in interactions from past events and current events.

Moira: I believe you found an expedient solution, commander.
Reyes: Hear that ? The good doctor agrees with my decision.
Genji: You be sure to call her as a character witness then.

Reyes: I still think we should have gone with the original plan of disguising ourselves as the band.
Genji: Do you even play an instrument, boss?
Reyes: Not well.
Genji: (scoff) Details.

Genji: So much for keeping a low profile. The entire city must be awake now.
McCree : Let’s just get out of here alive.
Genji: Perhaps next time we might select a less suicidal plan of attack.

doesn’t work. You cant hear the characters say those lines.

What about Uprising?

Mercy: Null Sector has three anti-aircraft guns set up in King’s Row. We need to clear them out so Torbjörn can drop in his latest monstrosity. Assuming it works!
Torbjorn : It’ll work!
Reinhardt: That’s what you always say.

Reinhardt: See, nothing to worry about, rookie.
Tracer: Who said I was worried?
Torbjorn: Well, you forgot to tie your shoes.
Tracer: Oh! Wait… my shoes don’t have laces.

Tracer: You really think that’s gonna work?
Torbjorn: I built it! Of course it’s going to work!
Reinhardt: Inspires confidence, doesn’t he?

again. The characters aren’t interchangeable. the characterizations are completely off.

Lets look at some storm rising interactions with characters swapped…

Winston: It must be hard for us to gather intel with Blackwatch sidelined.
Genji: I wouldn’t know.
Winston: Don’t you talk to your old teammates?

Tracer: What do you think will happen if we can’t get Max?
Mercy: They’ve been threatening to reassign the entire operation.
Genji: Morrison and Reyes have been arguing about it quite a bit lately.
Tracer: But what about the Strike Team? We’ve just gotten started.
Mercy: It might be the end of the line for us too.

there isn’t any unique characterization that makes this read as wrong. You can swap any of the characters for any of the others in almost all of the interactions and they make just as much sense for that character to say. The only one who is off is Genji, and that’s because no one else can say in a flat tone. “He’ll talk.” and be recognizably their character.

So that’s a real hindrance to this event. If the characterizations were just a bit better i feel like a lot more people would be happy with the lore aspect of the event. But it’s very weak lore wise. We have aspects that we can’t get any meaning to (IE the new characters we know very little if anything about), unanswered questions that hamper our ability to understand other parts of the story (is ana alive or not? The event doesnt make that clear, where’s McCree? if BW is sidelined why is gabriel arguing for jurisdiction of fighting talon?) while it also asks new questions.

On the whole, I actually think the gameplay’s decent. Some people are complaining about the lack of new enemies, but its genuinely w/e to me. It’s an anti-talon mission, it makes sense to reuse the talon troops we’ve seen across overwatch’s media- they’ve looked the same since McCree’s comic, for heavens sake. The lack of a final boss doesn’t bother me too bad, as the last two heavies are pretty difficult to finish off since Winston cannot crit them lmfao.

What gets me about the final cutscene is that it had the audacity to end in a cliffhanger. This is a dive into Overwatch’s history. It’s a single story in the wider story. Uprising started with a war breaking out in London, and when we won we knew that they succeeded in stopping the war. That plot was wrapped up nicely and even tho there were unanswered questions (was Overwatch’s involvement seen as a positive or a negative? Where’s agent McCree?) we had a solid ending. We defeated Null Sector and freed the hostages. We did what we came to do.

Retribution- Talon striked at Overwatch’s base, Reyes set out ready to play on their level. We get there and he shoots antonio. Instantly drama spilled out and we knew it was gonna be a shoot out. Plan B wasn’t planned beforehand, so it was going to be a rough and publicized escape. It ends with our escape- just barely- as Talon forces continue to swarm them. But, even though we escaped, theres clearly aftermath where Gabriel- and blackwatch- are going to pay for the actions, and what happened. It completed the story nicely by pointing out with McCree that maybe this was where it all started to go wrong. (answering questions about reaper’s reasoning for going bad).

Storm rising shows us they catch maximilien, Mercy asks for an introduction (probably to doomfist). and then thats it. What was the truth we were looking for, exactly? as thats the tagline of the event. Then it cuts to doomfist and a new character instead of answering any of the questions it gave us, instead of showing anything happening in overwatch or what happens when they have Maximilien. Is his capture good for the strike team? Does it ease tensions for the moment, get any of the flack off the Strike Commander? We don’t know. We sure know that Talons courting a new omnic in anubis, though. But we don’t even know his name. Frustrating.

tl;dr the event could have been great if the story was clearer, if the personalities of the characters had been fleshed out better in their interactions with each other instead of being very, very similar, and if we had gotten more answers than questions instead of the other way around.

7 Likes

Yeah this isn’t giving me much confidence. Like they can’t even deliver lore on a regular basis, and the one time where they’re actually working at it, they just phone it in. It makes me wonder what’s going on at Blizzard nowadays.

They seem to think they’re still in the golden era of 2016 where everyone was eating out of their palms. As opposed to three years later where their stocks are half value after a disastrous BlizzCon and people are moving elsewhere. The time to up your game would be now folks.

12 Likes

oml the blizzcon disaster hah,

“Dont yall have phones?” is the equivalent to how we have the two cover characters of Overwatch and yet very little meaningful character development between either of them. Winston and Tracer are supposed to be very good friends, if not best friends, but I Haven’t heard any friend banter in the event so far. HelloO? For as many times as Genji thanks Angela for saving him, Winston’s not been thanked ONCE for saving Tracer.

4 Likes

not to mention the skins being just as if not more lackluster than the new event. not the time to be lazy blizz, not the time. also, i think most of us were expecting a talon moira skin, but you give us this deviantart catering scientist skin? all the wrong moves. all the wrong moves. only decent skin released as of late imo is bastion’s. and i hate bastion.

Moderator Edit: Let's keep our language clean!

actually, her new skin is from her origins short (the first like 30 seconds of it), and I quite like it. I am actually pretty happy with the skins and cosmetics, even if I don’t feel like there was really that many of them. I was expecting her horns skin, also from her origins short and from her matching skin with Mercy.

Peoples opinions on skins though are one thing. People have vastly different opinions about which ones they like and which ones they dont.

what everyone does agree on is that the event itself, the main centerpiece of the event…is a bit lacking. there isnt as much chatter and it doesnt answer the very thing it sets out to do. Chase the truth? CHASE WHAT TRUTH??? What are we even looking for??

You have the characters wrong. Tracer says these lines. Not Winston.

Again, you have the characters wrong. Winston asks the question, Tracer responds, Mercy says Morrison and Reyes have been arguing, Winston asks again, and Tracer says it may be the end of the line. Having played the event many times now, I’ve yet to see the dialogue assigned otherwise. Yes, the lines could be switched around to other characters and still make sense. Just nitpicking, I suppose.

I agree that the cliffhanger at the end of the event leaves me wanting AND disappointed. Wanting because I want to know more. Disappointed because we’ll probably be waiting many months to get any further info or any finality to this. Blizzard takes too long offering new lore bits for Overwatch.

2 Likes

thats the thing. I purposefully switched the characters to point out that they are more or less interchangeable with each other. switching the characters doesn’t feel off reading it, even after you’ve played the event and heard the lines. the sames true of all the other voicelines I put in there. Its because the characterization in the interactions in storm rising is relatively weak compared to retribution and uprising, where the characters sound all very distinct and their opinions/personality are made very clear in their words.

2 Likes

I mean, this event is another one of those “Turn-Your-Brain-Off” kind of events, but when you look at this event more analytically, it is really lackluster.

I’m gonna post an overall view of Archives as a whole later down the week, so look out for that.

For me, on the first playthrough, the big letdown was the ending. You build up to blowing the door on the sea fort; I was expecting a last battle inside, perhaps with some kind of new boss (if not against Max himself). Instead, we go to a cut scene. Ooh, I thought for a moment – maybe there’s going to be something after the cut scene? Maybe we’re going to transition to a whole different venue? That would have been a twist!

Instead…reveal of a character we’ve never seen before and know nothing about, and end. I was…“Huh?”

It really feels like half a story, or less. And yeah, the interactions on my playthroughs (not as many as I would like due to technical issues) have usually been the same, rather bland ones. Hearing the ‘rare’ ones makes things a bit better, but frankly I will probably never hear them in game, because there’s nothing about the scenario that makes me want to play it over and over, as I have done with the others.

Still glad to have a PvE event, and can’t really complain when it’s free new content, but I can’t honestly say I wasn’t disappointed.

(Not to mention the other complaint: WHY ARE YOU TEASING US BY SHOWING TRACER ON A MOTORCYCLE WE KNOW YOU’RE NEVER GOING TO LET US RIDE?? :))

The hell are you on about

1 Like

I’d agree it definitely felt like more could have been done.

Scientist Moira was asked just as much, if not more than Talon Moira, which was partially fulfilled in regards to her Retribution skin

You would be complaining just as much if she had two black/red skins from the same event.

Edit: changed Uprising to retribution and fixed spelling

1 Like