Why people against genji and mercy relationship

I also, personally, would love to make Gency official. Perhaps a cinematic about Mercy getting held up on the big day. Perhaps a bomb set off by Talon near a Hospital, she swoops in, kicks butt, saves a bunch of children and then makes her way, just in the nick of time, to the start of her wedding in which we only see her walking into the church and watch the crowd rise, her face light up with joy, and then end scene…what do you think?

3 Likes

Yea mercy saved genji and with the help of overwatch gave him his cybernetic body or replaced parts of his body to begin with at least ( genji talon skin ) and then eventually a full cyber body suit

They takeaway is that LGBT community are more interested in “shipping” fictional characters while straights are not.

Not that Michael Chu should write stories around what the fans want instead of following his own vision for OW lore, but he would have to make Genji/Mercy to make the most popular “ships” valid. I don’t see Michael Chu doing that yet again when he’s given LGBT more than enough representation. I think Blizzard said there’s also a trans in the roster, after that’s revealed, they’re probably done with all the representation and diversity for LGBT.

Now you’re just making huge assumptions that only lgbt people ship non-straight pairings and only they are interested in shipping in general.

Well no, not “only”. I assume gay pairings (romantic, non-platonic kind) receive a lot more support from gays than straights,

Oh honey that is not what is happening there

Oh honey, no.

:thinking:

You may want to research this more.

Lol, should we tell em the true reason why slash pairings are popular in every fandom? xd

I can assure you that there are a bunch of straight girls that I know that love mxm shippings…

Then you have the straight guys into fxf.

Seriously, I am almost certain that those mostly who are straight started slashes fam lol

THIS is why we needed Mercy lore. We needed a comic, we needed actual anything to see how and who she is as a character and what she is doing and where she stands. The main issue here is that they ran into this “possible relationship thing” without developing her as a character individually and us not knowing her to make these decisions as to whether or not “emotional abuse or not” has happened between the two stands.

This is poor writing in itself. I would never jump characters, especially two characters who are major game characters to said game, story wise and are very popular to the fans in said game that people play everyday, who aren’t NPC’s, into a “relationship” without developing them as standard heroes first.

That is basic writing 101 right there. I don’t despise the fact that “Gency” may or may not exist. I despise the fact that the writers here left us with unanswered questions due to lack of lore for one of the sides here to the duo they are trying to convey (Mercy) into whatever ambiguous relationship they are leaving open here.

3 Likes

I understood the whole “Doctors aren’t supposed to operate on their loved ones thing”, but I always saw that as a sort of star-crossed lovers thing. Blizzard have all but confirmed that Gency is canon. Besides, I feel like Mercy is the kind of person who would set aside her personal feelings in an emergency. Sure, if Genji died under her care, it would take a while for the other doctors to get her to stop trying to resuscitate him and call a time of death (and she’d probably be emotionally out of commission for a while after that), but otherwise, she seems like she’d be perfectly neutral while operating on him. Let Gency be. Let the ship sail. Just let it happen. Storm Rising gave us adorable things between them (like a dinner date!), let them be adorable.

By the way, I have an Overwatch OC that’s supposed to be Genji and Mercy’s daughter. Her name is Kanae Zeigler Shimada, call sign: Wyvern. She’s got claw gauntlets and fire powers. She can also fly. When she gets older, she doesn’t even need Valkyrie Suit wings to fly because she can just summon wings out of her back. She’s a badass.

2 Likes

I always understood that Mercy and Genji develope a relationship after Mercy saved Genji and not before.

Yeah … no offense, but this set of reasoning has a lot of flaws in it. First off, if Mercy was in a relationship with Genji she would 1.) Be called into question by her superiors and her peers 2.) Have her medical license placed under review (and possibly suspended, maybe even revoked) and 3.) She would not even be allowed to operate on Genji in the first place.

Assuming the relationship takes place after she saves him, then she would also not be allowed to operate on him at a later interval, as someone who is not as emotionally invested in him would have to perform the operation while Doctor Ziegler paces in the hallway. And if she is allowed to operate on him, I’m gonna assume it’s because she hid the relationship with him from everyone, the fact of which, raises a whole, 'nother set of questions, and could get her into a whole lot of trouble too. And even if she’s not in a relationship with him and is just pining from a distance, it still poses a lot of problems, mainly in that she still has a lot of feelings for him and that clouds her judgement. It is not that easy to separate your feelings and detach yourselves from them, especially when you’re performing an operation as delicate and as high risk as a surgery is. If Dr. Ziegler were a true professional, then she’d let someone else perform the procedure, for the simple fact that she might end up doing more harm than good, and might actually end up hurting Genji in the process.

It’s against current AMA, GMC, and nearly every single international medical bodies’ guidelines for doctors to date the patients under their care. Same thing with nurses and other licensed medical professionals as well. And there’s a reason for that, mainly because we could not only cause them a lot of harm, but we could end up hurting ourselves, in every sense of the word, as well.

However, if Angela does discharge Genji from her care and several years have passed, then that’s a whole, 'nother conversation and a whole 'nother story. Though even then, it should be noted that a lot of careful consideration should be taken before dating a former patient, and in some instances, it’s actually forbidden for doctors to date former patients due to the potential problems that could arise (see rural Australia for details).

So the point is, it’s fine if you ship it. Good for you if that’s one of the things that gets you through life. But please don’t assume that it’s all right for Angela to operate on someone she is supposedly having a relationship with, or is just pining for, without any potential problems, blowback from her peers, or any consequences to her, both professionally and personally, mainly because — in real life, this is the sort of thing that could actually get you into a lot of trouble. I’m assuming it can happen in the Overwatch universe as well.

Also — no one is preventing Gency from ‘sailing’. People are just expressing their reservations over the ship. And coming from the perspective of someone who works in the medical field, I’d say there’s a lot to unpack here. You have every right to enjoy your ship, but the rest of us also have the right to point out the flaws in the writing and how frustrating it is that Mercy is not allowed to exist as her own character, as she’s always tied to Genji. Not to mention the way this ‘relationship’ was developed, and packaged and sold to us as well.

After all, freedom of speech is a two way street and all that.

2 Likes

People dislike it because Mercy has “first do no harm” in her armor, was deffended in the forums by the lead writer for being very ethical, and is against the militaristic approach of ow. Yet we are supposed to believe she likes a character that: she saved his completely mangled body bacause ow was interest on him, that was a trained assassin and lived by with criminal money from selling weapons, that became revenge a driven assasin after he joined blackwatch and commited crimes with them, and that has the frase “god of war” marked on his armor.

It’s so tone deaf by the writer that the only explanation we have for it, are voice lines like: “because I like you” so people can perceive that as a compatible a relationship.

4 Likes

BECAUSE MERCYKILL!!! Mecykill only. Ahhhhhhh.

…man, most people don’t actually care who ends up with who in the end right? Not to sound rude but, like I’ve said a thousand times already…they aren’t REAL people. Focus on the task at hand people, cause I’m not losing the payload to another bastion again…

3 Likes

I understand all of that. I’m under the assumption that Genji is no longer being worked on by her and that she passed her knowledge of his inner workings off to someone else. But you also have to keep in mind that this is a work of fiction that takes place in the future, so anything is possible. Sure, there would be a lot of explaining to do, but if they started their relationship after he exited her initial care, it would be a lot easier to explain, and I’m the kind of person who believes there shouldn’t be a problem if its a thing in the past. Who knows what rules this alternate, fictitious universe goes by? Maybe some of those rules aren’t in place? There are ways of getting around some of these rules, even in real life, through various loopholes. Besides, if these rules do exist, it’s very likely no one in Mercy’s field has caught onto it yet. They might just think that after everything, she and Genji ended up becoming close friends and that it isn’t as serious as it might be. Though, if they do find out, it could be an interesting plot point that could ultimately convince Mercy to rejoin Overwatch as a member of the Recall. I’m not denouncing anything you just said, I’m just stating counterarguments. If anything, these kinds of problems would make for very interesting story-telling plot points.

Just saying.

1 Like
  1. please use paragraph breaks,

2. no ones stopping you from enjoying the pairing, people just have their personal reservations for why they think within the confines of the fictional universe it wouldnt work/would be uninteresting. Its just a difference of opinion.

3. the ethics of dating a patient, present or past, is expressly talked about in any medical thing you can very easily google yourself. And like. Just because its a secret wouldn’t make it any less weird.

4. it also detracts from mercy as a character to keep her and genji as a packaged deal. I’d like her to have some of her own importance on her own two feet without genji being involved in her storyline. If she joins recall I want it to be because of something other than “genji’s joining.”

2 Likes

Can you people stop being buzzkills and let people enjoy things? The thread is asking why people are against the relationship, it’s not asking whether or not you care for these things.

It’s really tiring to constantly have people come into these threads and post the same old “I don’t care??? Nobody cares??? It doesn’t matter, I just want to play the game!”. Like, why even write this?

3 Likes

Well not tryna to rain down on your parade, but I do think it’s odd how you guys argue over who should mercy date first, genji vs Pharaoh over mercy etc. I mean I just gave my opinion, you guys can still talk about it, but this is starting to get old and really weird. Plus my genji deserves someone way better, mercys too picky over her chocolates…

Alright enough already jeez, its a fictional relation ship if you like it good for you, if you dont care good for you, if you dont like GOOD FOR YOU but it doesnt mean you get to say people shouldnt he allowed to enjoy it, its the equivalent of being at a buffet, everyone gets a piece of cake but you dont like it and proceed to throw all the food on the ground so no one else likes it

END OF STORY

3 Likes