Why people against genji and mercy relationship

Majority of the community shipped the two, wanted them to be a couple, we have had hints to the relationship before and now suddenly people are against it because of an doctors oath? What? I mean yes i get it having relation ships with a client or worker is always frowned appon but i also dont get it since ive never seen any harm in, i mean why is this something people are against especially since its characters from a game in a different world woth different rules for all we know this can of relationships arent frowned apon.

Now i know therea like 2 posts about this but the amount of responses implying there against it made me want to make this

8 Likes

I don’t understand it either. These are lines of dialogue in the game. Genji and Mercy have some kind of relationship - it’s clear that this is the direction the writers are taking. Being upset about that is like being upset about Mercy saying that Lucio’s father invented the sonic tech, or that Sombra suggests Reinhardt was forced to retire for bad reasons.

This relationship isn’t forced, and it isn’t out of the blue. We’ve had evidence of a relationship between them before - the Valentines voice lines, the letter in Reflections, the fact that Genji calls Angela by her first name (which few other heroes do). It’s nice to have something developed naturally for once, rather than just given to us all at once (like Emily or Vincent).

18 Likes

Just some of the reasons why this ship really doesn’t help imo Nothing against the ship, it’s HOW they handled it and the lore for heroes as a whole.

Also, I think (not saying it’s true) that people find it unfair that every other hero gets an NPC or background character for a lover and they get each other.

In other words, other people had ships but one gets to (possibly) be canon? Not good imo since the wars can start. The devs can write whatever they want, it’s their story, i can’t change it, but it doesn’t mean I have to agree with them or not find it wrong.

5 Likes

They held hands. That like means they’re gonna have cyber babies

3 Likes

Source and citation required, as that’s not actually true I would like to see your source :slight_smile:

Ok fine not majorty since people also ship phara with mercy and genji with zenyatta then but there was still a good amount of the community that supports this ship and as for “source” do you really want me to just search “mercy and genji” and count the amount of results there are of fan art, fan comics, videos (which can sometimes be voiced over fan comics for example stardubs) there? I dont have time for that and my point was just that a big amount of people approved the ship

Edit: fine i have no source, not making a new post so just gonna edit this one, i cant be bothered with someone asking for a “source” on something thats litterally a google search or counting the amount fan art of genji and mercy there are on tumblur or devientart

3 Likes

You make the claim, you provide the source.

I didn’t need a 7 line blunder to explain that you have no source.

3 Likes

Me: O my goodness who’s the mystery omnic at the end, anyone care to answer?

Everyone else: Mercy and genji are possibly dating and that’s all we care about

Me: 
the heck?

12 Likes

Here’s my reasons for not liking Gency:
It is illegal for doctors to date their patients or caretakers to date the person they take care of.
Also, with doctor/patient or caretaker/person being taken care of relationships, there is the potential for an unhealthy power dynamic, and the doctor/caretaker could take advantage of the patient/person they are taking care of, where as the patient/person being taken care of can become overly dependent on the doctor/caretaker.
Also, it is very possible that the two don’t actually feel romantically about each other. Instead, because they likely spent quite a bit of time around each other, and because Mercy cares about helping Genji and Genji is grateful to Mercy, the lines between affection and gratefulness/care may become blurred, causing them to believe they love each other, when they possibly do not. It happens in real life.
Also, I am just kind of bored of savior/saved ships tbh.

7 Likes

Among all the unethical things of having doctors take advantage of vulnerable patients who are still canonically recovering and Genji falling for a person who saved them and mixing up those feelings of gratitude for love while said love is unrequited for medical professional reasons and not wanting kind characters to take advantage of vulnerable character to the point of being OOC, to wanting more characterisation for the characters aside from just having gency interactions between each other (literally) and not wanting mercy to end up as just sidechick in genji’s story, like multiple other characters are just pawns in Genji’s storytelling

The trope of falling for your saviour is utterly and completely boring and bad. One of the most overused cliches in romance, that the saviour is some hot looking person who the saved person falls for. So it never appealed to me.

So basically it has icky undertones to it and it’s cliche and bland to me.

As far as actual popularity on the internet goes
 Gency is not even the most popular mercy ship and has never been nor the most popular Genji ship.
https://www.inverse.com/article/32164-overwatch-p*rn-shipping-mccree-hanzo-mchanzo-tumblr-ship-mercy (replace asterix with o)

Google knows =p

As far as Ao3 fanworks goes

• Jesse McCree/Hanzo Shimada (5668)
  • Reaper | Gabriel Reyes/Soldier: 76 | Jack Morrison (4452)
  • Fareeha “Pharah” Amari/Angela “Mercy” Ziegler (2325)
  • Junkrat | Jamison F**kes/Roadhog | Mako Rutledge (1414)
  • Lena “Tracer” Oxton/Widowmaker | AmĂ©lie Lacroix (1203)
  • Genji Shimada/Tekhartha Zenyatta (1109)
  • Jesse McCree/Genji Shimada (1104)
  • Jesse McCree/Reaper | Gabriel Reyes (1025)
  • Genji Shimada/Angela “Mercy” Ziegler (759)
  • Jesse McCree/Reader (699)
14 Likes

Honestly that kind of suprises me, i guess gency x mercy isnt as popular as i thought, must have somehow managed to only catch the genji and mercy ship youtube videos and community disscusions, alright fair enogh

And i know the dislike of how generic and unethical the relationship is but i still have the mindset of “there just video game characters just leave it be”, i will also say i have that mindest because tf2 where doesnt matter what story characters have the community just makes up their own versions

So, per that artwork source, Genji x Mercy are the most popular straight couple in the fandom?

I don’t rly care about the ship, I think people just want something to complain about. We know Genji was saved by Mercy at least two years before the Storm Rising event. They’ve worked with each other for a minimum of two years, probably longer (since Genji was in Retribution which was two years before Storm Rising). This isn’t a doctor/patient relationship anymore. They’re co-workers.

We also know that six years later they aren’t a canon couple, so
 why freak out over them possibly dating six years ago, we know it never led to anything in present day.

11 Likes

I would claim the opposite. They weren’t dating six years ago because, even as just co-workers, Genji is still recovering from major trauma and a person such as that is easily abuseable. Angela wouldn’t do that. That’s what people object to the most. Their past relationship will forever be tainted by the possibility of Genji’s feelings coming from idolisation of Angela for saving his life and Angela’s acceptance of that coming from her abusing the fact that Genji is easy to manipulate because of idolisation.

If anything, all this “flirting” and admitting they like being near each other is a setup for them to date in the present day, when it actually has not a single problem it has in the past. Genji is healed and a different person, they’re not even working together anymore and they can discuss a potential relationship without the trauma and professional reasons getting in the way. It would also help to give Mercy more development so we can see why she would choose Genji in the present day.

5 Likes

i think some people are taking this too seriously, it’s 50 years in the future and there’s a talking space gorilla

fun to speculate tho :^)

3 Likes

You can believe what you want, and it’s fun to speculate, but I’m just posting facts. We don’t know that Mercy was “abusing his emotions” - that’s just headcanon, and will probably never be something that’s clarified. You can choose to look at it negatively or just take it at face value.

3 Likes

100% agree with you, as a wise man once said “its only game, why do you have to be mad”

I also agree with this

5 Likes

With respect I question whether the majority of the community shipped the two. I didn’t percieve it that way.

I respect those who do so and I respect their preferences.

Me however find it strange and I am really not a supporter of it. It’s bizarre, in my opinion it makes Mercy the dirty doctor who dates a broken patient and I really don’t think they’re a good match.

So if you ship them, it’s fine, I respect you. But it would really sadden me if they moved out of their subtle storywise position where they left these things to the fans and made a ship canon.

5 Likes

eh. i like gency, (i like mcgency better) but like. Its not the majority of the community who wanted this pairing and you should know that. in terms of raw numbers, of the 30k fanfics on archive of our own, only 2% of them are tagged with gency. Of those, half the top fics (the ones that make the first page) are where gency is a side pairing. It’s popular enough to be in the top 10 pairings, but frankly, so is mccree/reader.

tbh. we have to acknowledge that the relationship was probably messy af my good dude. it doesnt have to be intentional for it to be harmful. genji is goin thru a Time for a lot of reasons.

some folks have issue with the relationship for one of the many reasons

1. Genji thinks he isnt human. That sort of view of yourself is going to lead to serious issues in how you view the world, how you view other people, and how you view your relationships.
  2. women in general often are put into a position of being the emotional stewards of men, where they have to do the emotional labor for men who are emotionally constipated. putting mercy into this position, in general, does hamper her development as an individual character.
  3. speaking of being the caretaker, there are issues with the fact she saved him. theres no getting around it. the sort of feelings that develop- where someone feels like they owe their life to another so totally and completely
 thats going to mess with genuine feelings of love. what about when genji starts to hate what has been done to him? Who takes that burden? Mercy as well.
  4. but seriously. you can google this. “Romantic or sexual interactions between physicians and patients that occur concurrently with the patient physician relationship are unethical. Such interactions detract from the goals of the patient-physician relationship and may exploit the vulnerability of the patient, compromise the physician’s ability to make objective judgments about the patient’s health care, and ultimately be detrimental to the patient’s well-being.”
6 Likes

Maybe I phrased myself poorly; I don’t believe Angela is such a person who would abuse an emotionally vulnerable person. However, the possibility is there. The issue that people have is that neither Genji nor Angela can truly know if the feelings involved are genuine due to Genji’s idolisation of someone who saved his life and Angela’s rightful fear that she might be abusing that idolisation. This simply hovers over them at this stage in their lives and it’s what people have issues with.

I would like to believe they restrained their potential relationship to a good friendship while they were still in Overwatch and now, 6 years later, in the present day, they can discuss that relationship from a much healthier position where both parties can be sure their feelings for the other are coming from a place of actual love instead something else. Now that Genji knows “Ok, I still like Angela, it wasn’t just me worshipping her for saving my life” and Angela knows “Ok, phew, I won’t be abusing someone both physically and emotionally vulnerable.”

7 Likes

Hold up! I didn’t know Mercy, a badass Valkyrie/Doctor, built Genji’s sybernetical body. I only heard that she was the one who found him, badly wounded from his conflict with Hanzo. Pls elaborate on this topic of you can, I’m really lost.