Why nobody likes 3-4 DPS (Jeff Replied)

The common argument is: “4-1-1 should be the default comp because there’s far more DPS than support or tanks”.

2 Likes

… is it just me or are you as unbearably pretentious as i imagine you to be? I did read the rest tho my comment was on the numbers as far as roles are concerned.

1 Like

What about 7v7? Have you tried that?

2 Likes

His statement was with respect to a standardized 4-1-1 lineup. There’s an enormous difference between “always forcing 4-1-1 leads to problems” which is what he said, and “3 or 4 DPS comps can never ever work.” Every comp is dependent on the map and the enemy lineup. There are cases where 3 DPS is viable, and I’m sure there are cases where 4DPS is viable as well. Just not all the time.

2 Likes

It’s almost as if you guys (maybe unintentionally) balanced around 2-2-2.

3 Likes

I’ll keep my thoughts on you and your content to myself, as they are immaterial to the discussion at hand.

Back to that discussion, the comp in question had the opposite effect of what you and others intend. That’s the take-away here.

I am sure you know better than he.

1 Like

Cool. Can you respond to the Bastion megathread now?

2 Likes

Jeff is alive. :smiley:

1 Like

I believe the developers are mostly tank and support mains, so that assumption is reasonable enough.

Well, just speaking for myself here, but I expected 1 to 2 tanks and 1 to 2 supports with more variance. I also expected more hero switching. Naively, I didn’t expect “maining” and “one-tricking” to be so dominant.

We imagined a world where players would be ok with Torbjorn on defense but not playing him on attack. The maining/one-trick mindset led to us having to rework those characters to fit with how the game eventually evolved to be played. I guess what I am saying is we hoped to be able to create more highly situational characters with the thought that players would switch in situations where those characters weren’t as viable.

We like the direction things evolved and in hindsight, it seems obvious that they would evolve that way. It’s not that one direction is good or bad… they’re just different directions and we adapted to what the playerbase was doing, rather than fighting against their instincts.

131 Likes

I don’t think anybody here said it should never be used ever. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Was that back when the categories were split into Offense and Defense? Was it more like 2-2-1-1 or was the 4 any combination of Offense and Defense?

Yeah i totally agree it wouldnt ve as fun. Thats why i never said it would be. But it would at least justify the difference in numbers between the roles currently.

:scream: you dont have to try so hard my man its just a videogame forum full of teenagers.

I think the best comp would be a 1-1-1 and 3 flex. At the very least a 2-2-2.

1 Like

Again, I think you must be misinterpreting what I’m saying. My claim is not incompatible with what Jeff said. The difference is “always versus sometimes.”

If you wanted situational picks, that’s fine. But it has to be acknowledged by the devs and playing them in suboptimal situations should be reportable.

too bad most low rank is the 411 experience.
thanks you overwartch…

1 Like

As Nepenthe said a while ago, if character switching was the emphasis you wanted to go with, then making characters with such identifiable and unique personalities was the wrong move.

When people fall in love with a character, they’re gonna want to use them as much as possible, whenever possible.

7 Likes

That’s very interesting, and in no small part due to the fact that I thought this was going to be the sort of thing happening. The different heroes and roles are all fairly intuitive – a testament to your team’s work – and so it seemed reasonable to assume. But, as you said, it’s not how it turned out.

3 Likes

love you papa I’m sorry that you get blamed for things you don’t have control over just bc you’re the face of the company :heart:

3 Likes