Why mercy mains are so toxic?

IIRC the nerfs done on the PTR were the increased fire rate and damage on Mercy’s blaster during Valkyrie, as well as the nerf of Valkyrie’s movement speed. Though, I am quite unsure considering I never go on the PTR.

Right, but Mercy was not nerfed 14 separate times. She was nerfed in four patches.

In MOBA talk it is not uncommon for a character to receive wide sweeping numbers changes to an entire kit to try to bring them more in line (eg. CD increases across the board), or to compensate for another balance change in the same patch. Quantifying every single separate numbers tweak as a nerf or buff in its own right just confuses the discussion.

That seems arbitrary… also I’m not sure if this means you expected S6 Valk Mercy to get buffs? Sometimes some things are just objectively too strong and don’t need balance compensations when they’re toned down.

Just to clarify, If Mercy got 2 buffs and 3 nerfs at the same time, I would just call it a nerf or buff depending on if it made her weaker or stronger but Mercy after her rework has only ever received nerfs so I count them individually.

Nah, I’m saying that since she hasn’t received any buffs since her rework, I don’t need to count each patch to see if she got weaker or stronger and can just focus on each individual change that made her weaker.

And just to be clear:

These are all PTR changes from before her rework ever went live, which hardly counts given how the entire point of the PTR is to test balance changes (i.e. literally the rework patch) and tweak them with a larger pool of players than they can internally.

I’m still not sure I see the leap in logic here.

So if Mercy got a token buff to her GA cooldown (-0.00001s CD) you would be okay with seeing her has receiving 4 nerfs rather than 12/14/whatever? Because either way she is still weaker, and the changes all hit live at once.

Change the numbers then. My mistake.

I’m confused now…

You said that you consider Mercy getting 14 nerfs instead of 4 because she didn’t receive any buffs within those balance patches. My example was adding an inconsequential buff that wouldn’t change anything about her power level or how she feels to play… but it’s still a buff nonetheless. The distinction seems arbitrary from that standpoint.

Just trying to understand.

Well such a nerf will probably never happen and all the nerfs Mercy has received has made her weaker. If such a nerf were to happen, I would see the other change it is listed with and count it as either one nerf or one buff since it is inconsequential.

A competetive hero shooter, made by blizzard. I’d say it’s marketed as an FPMOBA

Mercy mains are so toxic because now Mercy is not the one and only answer to every situation. And it’s sad, really. We need more skillful supports that only need to hold LMB.

1 Like

Brigitte would like a word with you, as would Zen, Ana, Moira… lol

No one’s suggesting or asking for buffs, though.

2 Likes

I’ve seen tons of threads asking for buffs

I love interacting/crouch dancing with my teammates in spawn or before match! (Especially Junkrat or Widow players, they’re the best )

2 Likes

No one that knows what they’re talking about asks for buffs in a serious manner.
Also, “tons” is a bit of an overstatement. I’ve seen maybe one or two in the last month.

1 Like

I find people that know what they’re talking about is rare on the forums. So you’re probably correct there.

Well if you read into the posts all of them really you might catch the concept that Mercy Mains are saying that all the these nerfs point to a failed Rework because it makes too strong while also not being nearly as enjoyable for many to play as.

TBH when you see posts that include topics such as “Mercy shouldn’t be in an FPS” and “‘Skilless Heroes’ should not be on even footing in effectiveness as ‘Skillful Heroes’”, that runs the line of… you’re attacking character’s existence in the for the former and saying that mechanics are what should determine a winner with the latter. So those posts are aimed at harming Mercy for the sake of harming Mercy so that will logically elicit negative response because just taking things away from people has historically never gone over well (trading things however can avoid that).

Also keep in mind that people have not just been saying something benign because they want outright nerfs and don’t seem to make any consideration for enjoyability of the character that is not a good sales pitch BTW and its certainly not compromising. Then again with over a year of this Rework being a mess for everyone one way another compromising sentiments are clearly thin in number.

Cool other supports are more viable but it was that way before March 2017 Other supports were viable. Mercy was considered a bad pick sure, but her Mains still enjoyed across the board, but I do realize not everyone has played / followed the game that long so they wouldn’t know about those times.

This why Mercys ask for a Revert because at least in the past before Ana fell, before Lucio was changed, before Rez as a Ultimate had invulnerability Mercy was fun for Mercy Mains and Mercys despite being derided for playing a low skill hero that was usually seen as troll pick still played her and those who didn’t want to were not compelled to do so.

1 Like

That is pretty true and in ways similar to the in game experience.

2 Likes

“mercy mains are toxic” i’m toxic? wow, that’s news to me lol