Why is'nt hud text showing up... is there a limit?

in my game, its fine when I’m playing alone, but when other players join the hud text that should show up on their screen is not. Is there a limit to how much text you can create? And if so, what is that limit?

:white_check_mark: Solved by @Shanalotte in post 3

check if you made the hud text visible to all players and not event player

This. Then check if the reevaluation contains “visible to”.

Yes, 128.

1 Like

thanks! I didn’t know what the limit was and that helps

128 is way too low, especially since HUD text and in-game text count towards the same limit. My item menu (ht tps://i.imgur.c om/88eaAbF.png) alone uses 22 in-world texts for each player that has it open. The only way I could make it usable at all with a full server was to merge parts of the HUD into single text elements with newlines, which looks ugly and is harder to read.

The Workshop is full of nonsense hardcoded limits like this. Dummy bots are ruined for anything other than debugging or solo aim practice because they count towards the 12 player cap. I think Blizzard simply hates fun.

Umm … there has to be some limit as they need to give the encoding a data type and reserve memory space. Imo 128 is pretty generous. If you are reaching the limit fast because you are using lots of “each player” stuff, you might want to think about playing around with visibility instead.

I don’t think so. They are still good for PvE, if you get a little creative.

If this would be the case, we would have never gotten workshop in the first place.

1 Like

128 is the limit even if the text exist but none is able to see it? Or 128 count only text that can be read at the same time?

128 text entity limit for the entire server regardless of who can see what text.

2 Likes

Most of the text in my mode has to be per player. I know how to optimize with visibility. To do that, I’d have to force the menu camera to a preset location. I might end up doing that, but I’m tired of getting gimped by workshop limitations and bugs.

128 isn’t generous. I’m sure we could spare even 3 more bits for encoding text IDs to bring it to 1024.

Servers already get shut down for hitting performance limits, so there should be no need to limit resource usage from text with a hard cap.

Same with dummy bots. We know the game can support more than 12 players, so why is there a limit on them? Let me make 1000 of them and have the server shut down if I feel like it. I don’t want to sacrifice player slots just to have a shop NPC or whatever. It wouldn’t work for my mode.

Imagine the cool stuff you could do without that limit. I could give my mode an event that rains (a reasonable number of) ulting Doomfists.

1 Like

Thank you. Is the same thing if i create a HUD text with a “Global” rule (visible to all player) or a HUD text with a “Each Player” rule (visible only to event player)?

i mean, i know that if there are 12 player and each one process a rule that generate a HUD text, there will be 128 - 12 text entity. But if i create a HUD text via a "Ongoing - Global " and visible to all player is the same thing? or in this case i will have 128 - 1?

They all count towards the same limit. As you said, global HUD texts only consume a single ID, so you should use them when possible.

ALT + Z to show hud

If you’re talking about workshop hud texts then yes, there is a limit. Look at the code for Uno OW. It has a really good built-in hud count mamagement system.

Thank you, I really still needed that info after 5 months! :blush:
No one was answering me… Thank you!

I gotcha. No problem.
You need more help? add my btag.

1 Like

Truer words have never been spoken.

Yo. Why did someone necro this post again?
(just make a new thread bro)

You just nerco’d this post :unamused:

Don’t “bump” posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called “necro bumping” or “necroing”). Users who are found to be bumping posts will be subject to forum account suspension and post removal.

source:

This is simply false. Dummy bots have enabled many things… right now im making a FFA gamemode where i extensively use dummy bots to do things like merging genji and hanzo into one character, or giving soldier a clone he can tactically place, or replace torb’s turret with a bloody bastion. Would i like the dummy bot limit to be expanded? Yes. Would i like the ability to team dummy bots with players in FFA gamemodes? Yes. Are dummy bots useless? Not at all.

1 Like