Why is there SR decay in diamond and up?

i’m just about to get into diamond and I realized decay starts from diamond and… oh wow. I’m not really a fan of competitive anyways, and I play it to see how good i am and to get golden guns - so i’m not an active comp player…

making decay start from diamond is just like “eh i guess there’s no reason for me to play… cause in a few days i’ll go back to where i started”

3 Likes

But you do get more SR for a win if you decayed a lot

Maybe because that is the rank people start to be considered good at the game

but i don’t play comp a lot, like just in the last few days I’ve started to play a few matches a night to try and hit diamond. like 99% of my time on OW it’s QP and arcade because they aren’t as stressful and people aren’t as tilted

I get where you’re coming from, I’m just telling you that you don’t have to grind as much is you want to go back to your pre-decay SR

1 Like

I am just gonna tell you you are flat out incorrect and it is infuriating trying to get back to it. But I suppose all it really proves is that their comp system is pathetic and they have no ability to actually gauge how good a player is because this game is so chaotic.

so people can’t sit in t500 all season without playing

Pretty sure it was confirmed by a developer

The literally only use Decay really had was having people to work for it if they wanna have multiple accounts in T500 … it mostly does eaxctly the opposite of what it’s supposed to do in Diamond and Masters… Get people to play more
Like just how Edgelord up there said

I know more people with that mentality in Diamond+ than those who feel like “Gotta play my matches”
It might have been more of a thing when you only needed one match to prevent decay but 7 are literally a chore not worth going through for a number.

1 Like

He isn’t incorrect though. If you’re decayed, the amount of SR you gain for a win is heavily increased and the amount you lose is vastly decreased.

I decayed from ~3550 all the way to 3000 last season then went on a win streak and hit 3700 (higher than I was before decay) the same day.
I think I was gaining 40+ SR in some of those games.

That aside however, I do wholeheartedly agree that decay below T500 (maybe GM), is silly and unnecessary.

I relate to this so much lol my duo queue partner is in diamond so I gotta grind to get there just to say I made it. But once I do I’m going back to gold. It’s much more fun playing down there if you have a friend or two to play with.

In my opinion a person isn’t ready to hold a meaningful rank if they can’t or won’t consistently prove they have indeed earned it, hence decay is justified. You could argue 3000 is too low, but I don’t think inactive people should remain “masters”.

For less competitive-minded people there is the season high rating, and comp points are based on that anyway.

Also there is the problem that certain people will make countless GM accounts and inflate the high ranks. That screws up elo ladders.

it’s so dumb though, like what’s the point in getting to a certain SR, then get decayed, then play a few matches just to get there, then get to a higher SR, that will decay and then the cycle starts again :\

But it’s okay to inflate all the other ranks? There’s no logic. It should only be done for T500.

To keep them playing. The population at the top is so limited that they need to artificially maintain the amount of people queueing or they’ll get thrown into plat games and it’ll be a mess.

2 Likes

I guess it makes sense for the top 500 but not for any other elo imo. Placement matches are also unnecessary if it’s not a new account. Comp should be reworked.

This is probably the best reasoning for decay that I’ve heard yet.

It’s not okay as such but assuming competitive people want to achieve high ranks, they matter more. It makes no sense to make a million accounts and leave them in platinum. Who’d do that?

Also I reinstate that if someone can’t consistently earn their master rank, they are not worthy of being that high. It’s just. They may come back when they mean business.

All or none is my view in this matter. All ranks decay or none at all. There is no benefit. The rank decay is fake anyway. They don’t actually put you in a diamond game. if you let your decay from master. So it’s just a visual change. So why bother? Because people can steal spots from Diamond-Master? Only T500 are actual spots.

1 Like