Why is the Contenders Schedule so bad?

Ok, so I’ve been watching Contenders even before they started giving out Skins for watchtime now, if I noticed they were live and I wasn’t busy. So I basically didn’t watch Contenders at all since they moved to Youtube for streams.

Back when they were on Twitch, I didn’t care much about the schedule, I just saw if they were online or not, done. Now, with the rewards, I want to make sure to watch enough of it to get the rewards, so I looked at the schedule on their page.
And holy is it a mess. Every region is separated, so you have to check all the tabs to see if something might be live anytime soon, depending on the region, there are categories for regular season and playoffs plus China being split in English and Chinese, each with playoffs and regular season games.

So, why isn’t there just an overview tab with the games coming up in the next few days or maybe the current week for all regions? Don’t make people search for games they can watch if you want people to watch the games.

Also, something can’t be right about the schedule. I managed to find a better overview of the games on overGG. For yesterday’s games, that worked quite well. But today it shows games in the China region starting 3h ago with the last one starting in 3h. Same for tomorrow. The games are actually live and being streamed on bilibili, so it isn’t an error on their part, the games exist.
Yet, on the official schedule, there are no games listed for today or tomorrow or any day in October until the 22nd, which is obviously wrong, as there are games live right now.

Can we PLEASE just get a properly managed schedule with the games that are running for all regions in our local time, so we don’t need to look for that in x places and convert it to our local time, only to find out we can’t watch it because it is in the middle of the night?
Thanks ^^

22 Likes

im amazed that blizzard would announce rewards for watching BEFORE they… make it even remotely possible to know when all the games are

maybe i shouldnt be?

2 Likes

This, please.

I cannot trust the actual website because of this and with how many hours you need to watch for even 1 skin never less 2 is a joke with how this system is at the moment

6 Likes

I mean… I have limited trust in Blizzard being able to properly balance the game (although I’ll have to give it to them, the current state of the game is pretty good balance-wise), but when it comes to design and advertising for games, they are usually pretty good. So I assumed they should be well capable of providing a schedule that provides a good overview of all the games you might be able to watch.
So maybe we shouldn’t have been surprised, but I’m still a bit disappointed.

1 Like

So I’m not just missing something obvious…?

The site as best as I can tell only shows “contenders” matches

I believe the China matches were either “open division” or “trials” matches so they’re not actually featured on there

Just check the sticky thread:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-streaming-rewards-guide-earn-contenders-skins/

Contenders are bad so they are hoping to bribe players to watch.

I found that thread shortly after posting this and we can’t thank WyomingMyst enough for creating threads like this all the time, but it has two issues.

First, the list isn’t embedded on the Overwatch Contenders website, so unless you know the thread over here in the forums, you don’t get a proper list.

Second, the list is nicely structured and all, but requires a relatively big amount of manual input while not being very responsive. If you create such a list over on overwatchcontenders com, you can have the list adapt to your timezone, can automate links to the teams and maybe even vods afterwards, it just offers so much more usability compared to a list in a forum thread.

That’s 100% true the 2 only regions I care abt watching are Korea and NA but jfc its a mess

Yeah, it’s definitely a pain. There are no time zones listed on some of the regions and the times that are listed are pretty weird. I don’t just mean inconvenient for me, I mean like it said on Wednesday they were playing from 1500-2300 and 2300-0700 in Korea, which probably isn’t right.

Use over.gg for a better schedule.

Which I stated in the op I did, but if the list from Wyoming is true, it is missing the games on the 20th, so can’t trust that either.

That site is helpful. It’s still unclear to me why the Chinese region matches aren’t shown through the contenders website, though. Those are the only ones on for the next few days.

I think that’s when the matches actually take place, they’re rebroadcast as “live” matches a few days later. It’s kinda difficult to view Chinese OW imo, it could be easier, China is probably the second best region after Korea, I really do want to watch it.

Probably same reason why China gets an own OWL broadcast and everything, they have different rules for many things that would make it very hard to get in line with the normal worldwide broadcast.

It’s like the Chinese government doesn’t even care whether we get our skins.

1 Like

as it is right now at the time of writing:

OVERWATCH COLLEGIATE VARSITY SERIES 2020 L INVITATIONAL WEEK 2 | DAY 1

is live on contenders.
it appears to be two north american teams battling it out but the schedule doesn’t show matches being played today so you are right.

the schedule page on the site is not correct nor easy to read.
it should be like on the OWL site with the times converted to our local timezone.

It’s pretty much the same site so i don’t get why it wouldn’t be possible.

Don’t forget the Collegiate stuff going on right now, which isn’t on any schedule anywhere on their website. These are actually some of the most fun games I’ve watched in a while.

I just go to the site every day to see if it is actually on. It is annoying but much easier than figuring out the schedule.