Why is Support the hardest role to climb with?

I don’t understand people that find tank boring and how it has the least queue time.

With healer you’ll have a harder time to climb, considering no matter how much healing, damage boost you put in, it really depends how much Dps you’ve got in your team honestly, or how well coordinated your team is.
Now yes, this is where the importance of communication comes in.

I’m not saying all you have to do as healer is be a heal bot, you are a support after all, not a healer. You need to use your kit well, not just heal bot your teammates and expect miracles and climb a high rank just like that.

Maybe with the old Mercy with her 5 man rez, maybe. That thing was broken.

But, it’s true that with support you’ll have a harder time to climb rather than tank or Dps.

Answer me this, Team 1 has better DPS players, hits all the shots, but has healers that don’t heal or use their kit well,
while Team 2 has decent healers but Dps are really bad at getting damage, who will most likely win?

Let me know what you think, if there’s anything you would like to add or inform, go ahead, I’m happy to read what you have to say. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is why i say, supports should be dps with support abilities. But we’ve gone to far in the opposite direction.

1 Like

The lower ranks that aren’t smurfs , like to put emphasis on the "healer " portion of support, and expect you to basically healbot while they stand out in the open , dont play corners , and run in straight lines into the enemy. It gives them someone else to blame instead of their own lack of awareness. Its significantly harder to climb as a support than any other role, i believe, because in order to “carry” , you have to do more things and your decisions have to be more impactful .

1 Like

I play a lot of support, it’s a hard role but in lower ranks it’s probably the easiest. I believe it was that performance helps determined your rank all the way up to diamond. You can be a healbot and get to diamond, I had a friend who one tricked mercy and he got to 2987 just healing. I play ana/lucio, but from my experience playing support it really is just awareness, holding back aggression, and ability usage.

hardest to climb to where? It is easiest role to climb through higher ranks, cause how tank+support synergy is dictating match outcome, dps would be the hardes in terms of higher ranks.
But in metal ranks dps would be much easier, cause there is such a lot of ways to abuse pepega tanks there who don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Mercy is my go to healer.

No matter how much I heal, knowing the right time when to rez, it’s extremely damn hard to rank up.

I usually get 18k to 22k healing as Mercy with 3k to 5k damage boost, depending how long the match is.

It’s the hardest role to climb with because you can’t lead in damage/elimination, and every match is algorithmically handicapped. More info:

in my opinion support is the hardest role to climb because there are not a lot of people who are able to make usage of the utility you have.

i think lucio is a great example of this. in higher ranks, more people will be able to take advantage of speed. for lower ranks, it is more about healing and sustain. that’s why moira/mercy is such a popular support duo. as you rank up? not as good. i peaked masters on console and i couldn’t play fully the same way as i did in ps4 dia/masters that i do in pc gold.

players in lower ranks are generally more resource-intensive and tend to require healing and a shield to enable them. and so they play more tentatively. and scared.

your question is sort of a difficult one to answe i will tell you this: for a dps, killing stuff is a basic role and that’s just what people assume they do. but everyone kills. there’s more advanced and situational roles than that. if i play d.va and the enemy team has a pharah, my only role isn’t to make space, that’s a basic role and function of playing tank. as d.va, i need to zone out the pharah and limit her value. it’s also kinda dependent on healers. some healers kits are so easy to use.

with my point made with dps, a lot of people think “oh you’re a dps you should have gold/silver damage.” that won’t happen on sombra most often. mei and doomfist probably not. there is more to it than doing damage. getting kills is a team goal not a role goal.

2 Likes

Oh but you can, easily lead in all 5 categories, with Moira, I don’t know how many games my team complained about dps not killing stuff, or teams wondering what gold elims is, since they have x amount and think it should be gold, meanwhile I have 22 elims more than the guy with silver, same goes for damage, obj time is easy enough, and obj elims carries with it. Lucio/Bapt/Zen can also compete easily for all of the above, Ana/Mercy/Brig will struggle.

Also, your thread has NOTHING to do with this topic, can you stop spamming it everywhere? And keep it to relevant topics?

4 Likes

Its not really, you can lock bap and do so much to win a game its almost unfair.

In low ranks (low gold and below) I find support can be more impactful than tanks.

The reason is that a decent healer can erase a lot of mistakes, and the enemy team is less likely to be able to capitalize on mistakes, so you can be a bit bolder.

With tank in those ranks, it’s really hard because no one groups up, so shields become less useful and you aren’t making space for anyone.

I spent a lot of time as Tank and Support. Both modes feel AWFUL to play as, and leaves me with more stress and frustration than I’d ever care to experience in anything in real life.

As Support - Every time a Winston or Rein charges in, I pop a new grey hair.

As Tank - Every time a Doomfist or Genji dives my backline, I get a new wrinkle in my face.

I then played DPS role. The amount of raw stress and agony was all but existent. Yeah, the game relies heavily upon your ability to kill things, but for the first time it didn’t matter if the Tanks lived or died, or if the Supports could manage enough healing. If I died it didn’t matter. As long as I got kills, that’s all that mattered in the game.

It was then that I realized this game is not designed around Tank and Supports. It’s not enjoyable to play as either role. The burden of responsibility is disproportionately too high. And coming from a mainly Tank/Support perspective, realizing this was both a sigh of relief for me (at least as DPS, and seeing the game as ‘fun’ again) and yet the realization of an egregious error in the core game’s design with respect to Tanks and Supports leaves me quite discontented.

It’s genuinely no wonder why a good Widowmaker main will dominate any elo.

All she has to do/worry about is what to kill. And if it dies, she wins.

3 Likes