Why is private profile the default?

People still do this even with them enabled by default. Had a guy do it to me after he got salty and, I’m guessing, couldn’t look at my history to criticise my hero choices.

People hide their profiles so they can play heroes they’re not good withOUT and throw people’s games with anyone knowing.

2 Likes

Why not just give us the option of turning it to private? Why does it have to be default?

1 Like

I find it strange that this keeps being brought up. I’ve never once had this happen, and for the past 4 months I’ve barely touched Mercy, who I had 3 times as many hours on as my next most played hero. I know that’s just my personal experience but how bad can this phenomenon actually be if I haven’t even seen it once?

you mean like they do now? The moment profiles went private, the toxic players found a new way to be toxic, by attacking those with private profiles. It didn’t matter that it was defaulted to private, it didn’t matter that half the game’s population had no idea about the change, they still get attacked for having a private profile.

So stop having opinions on the subject then

considering everybody here is saying the video didn’t answer the question and only repeated what we already knew, I’d say I made the right decision to not waste my time.

On a second note, why do they always sit down for interviews with streamers? How hard would it be to set up a live stream Q&A with the community. Let them send questions on Twitter and Facebook, answer some popular questions from forums (OP’s question comes to mind), then maybe people can finally realize that they aren’t telling us anything new. The OW team doesn’t want to answer our questions.

If the only people you listen to are youtube streamers and OWL professionals then you are going to get a very skewed picture of what would be good for the game. They do not represent the community. They are typically people who play the game to make a paycheck. Overwatch is their job, and they do not represent the people who play the game for fun.

3 Likes

So…why did they outright REMOVE the top 5 heroes time chart? WHY not make it optional just like the profiles?

1 Like

That’s the question!

A feature was REMOVED that made user experience better. And now we have to click in and out of pages before the game starts to glean information we could have learned in 5 seconds before.

And yes, I do talk to my team, but they don’t always have mics. And yes, I appreciate private profiles, I’m okay with them showing a locked icon, at least I won’t waste my time navigating to a locked stats screen.

Still not sure why you people directly reply to blue blizzard posts as if they EVER reply back.

Its sad.

1 Like

Because we don’t see them comment as much as they used to, so people flock to it hoping to get a reply, especially considering a lot of topics are not getting any sort of replies or some form of acknowledgement.

I’m not sure what you think is sad about it.

Because they aren’t going to get a reply. It’s like little children trying to talk to an adult who’s clearly ignoring them but they’re too oblivious to notice.

That’s typically an outcome of feeling ignored.

Being sad or being oblivious?

Trying to seek a response or some form of attention.

Because from a data security standpoint, you lock things by default. Otherwise during the time it took to go lock them, they were vulnerable. Default hidden is the only thing that makes sense.

1 Like

except this isn’t a data security issue, it’s a game, so it makes no sense.

So, with private profiles being a thing, can we get a setting for LFG that enforces public profiles, should the group leader want this? Kind of annoying to always have to ask for people’s profiles. The same, IMO, should be done with Voice Chat.

1 Like

It is data. What the data pertains to makes no difference, the same basic security practices apply to all data.

The only thing that has changed is now, instead of Blizzard deciding that all data is public, they set it all to a more secure setting, then handed it off to us to make our own decisions about it.

It’s just another in a line of changes designed to “empower” the players by handing us more control.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I don’t care about private profiles, the only thing that bothers me is the underhanded way it was implemented. Something this massive there should have been a notification when people logged in that lets them know about the change. Too many people don’t read patch notes and aren’t on forums for them not to show the change in game.