Why is OW getting so much hate?

80%=Players refusing to adapt to change
10%=toxic players (is an actual issue, but not enough to warrent hate)
10%=angry outsiders (mostly tf2 players, however recently, has been fortnite players).
At least from what I have seen. Don’t take it from me.

1 Like

But again, does it go back to people’s feelings or what is actually healthy for the game? Like I said, people judge by emotion. Not by logic.

Per your examples:

• I agree with Leaver problem. The punishment needs to be harsher.

• An emotion thing. There are ones that need some nerfs/buffs, but not a whole lot. People come up with some radical ideas more often times then not that would completely change up how things go. As example: Someone suggested that Bastion’s ult became his primary fire and did 120 damage like Pharah’s rocket or Junks damage. With crit abilities. Nope.

• MMR is a flawed system. It takes awhile to really hammer it out. However, it really only affects the sides of the spectrum. It’s horrible for Bronze/Silver. And it’s horrible for Masters/GM. The reason being for the less amount of people in them. Gold/Plat is really the best area to be in since it has the largest bulk of people in it. Diamond is iffy depending where you sit on it.

• Smurfing isn’t that big of a problem. At least not on PC. Possibly on console since people are able to make accounts all the time. If a Smurf is actually played, they quickly push themselves out of the purpose of the smurf.

• Like I said, balancing is ultimately fine.

• Like I also said, they aren’t obligated to give us any answers.

New characters go either way. I, personally, would be perfectly fine if they took a break from new characters and worked on the bugs and changes to the already pre-existing ones. However, I don’t speak for everyone. After every new character released, there are already people wanting information for the next one. There is even people that complain WEEKLY (sometimes daily) about the speed of content. Wanting characters and maps faster.

Community is wrong. For better or for worse, sometimes it just needs to be left to the professionals.

Pretty much what you wrote. I mean for the fact they spent a year on tweaking Mercy proves they aren’t truly on their A game. So many feedback tosses aside for not much. Tracer still the same and please like an ultimate nerf was really the big problem. Ban duration stacking over nonsense stuff not understanding players do get in a the heat of moment, but still contribute.

No warning messages from game masters like WoW does. To make it all worst competitive play isn’t even competitive because you can’t even ban heroes where in Paladins you can. At least in Paladins you don’t need to rely on your healer because all you need to do it go out of combat to regenerate hp. All the heroes in this game yet they do little tweaks to keep the balance.

Then you have the toxic players that just wants to throw. You don’t even need to be a one trick hero to claim yourself as throwing. Players just throw a fit and don’t bother to do good synergy with the team. It’s me, myself and I mentality that goes on with these team based games.

Overall Overwatch is Over stress yourself to the point you might as well don’t play the game as much anymore. Players themselves fails to see and admit they’re not as good as they thought. See attack torb and Symmetra I might as well throw too. No! that’s not the answer! The answer = barrier tanks and a good healer to keep all up as best as possible. Work with the synergy. Not the opposite.

1. Poor balancing decisions that always result in one character getting overbuffed or another getting overnerfed, and nothing really changing.
  2. OWL still boring as hell to watch unless you’re watching a Shanghai Dragons match to see if they can actually get a victory.
  3. Lootbox crookedness still exists, despite more countries calling it out as gambling and therefore illegal in some territories and frowned upon everywhere else.
  4. Lack of any real content after two years outside of a couple new maps and characters. No other game modes, campaign missions, or anything else, since for whatever reason Blizzard is relegating all story bits into poorly done alternate media.
  5. Community is still one of the most toxic in the entirety of gaming, and the developers still pretend to think that everything is peachy keen and choose to ignore most of the problems.

I mean, there are probably more reasons, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

Maybe because way smaller developers working on way less of a budget consistently put out more content/cosmetics, quicker to balance and squash bugs, interact with the community, listen to the community, play their own game, have better competitive matchmaking, have a better grasp of their own game in general, etc. etc. etc.
Blizz just sits in an ivory tower, while they count our money and laugh.

4 Likes

Mercy is balanced, but she doesn’t have any impact on the game anymore. Overwatch Forums She’s balanced, but she’s not awesome to play. However you’re right, this isn’t the place to have that. The void which no moderator has ever read is where we talk about it.

Bastion isn’t fine. If he were good at his niche, he’d have a similar pickrate and winrate to that of the builders. As it stands, he’s only beaten out by Sombra in terms of pickrate and winrate, indicating that he isn’t even good where he’s supposed to be good.

This is something I could have phrased better. Even when there wasn’t a lot on the Devs plate, which we now know, characters have been ignored. That’s what the link was for. Even when they aren’t busy, they’ve ignored glaring issues to the point where they can’t even support the “we see everything on the forums” line they pull when it’s convienent.

I can provide you a decent statistic. A list of Sombra's Many, Many Bugs (6), Now with more LOS Bugs! - #15 by Xaron-1831
The solo Uprising youtube videos? All happened within about 4 games of Uprising. That’s something llike 7 or 8 videos within 4 games. If each of those games had roughly the same stats of about 5 matches (assuming 20 elims per standard match as Sombra), then that’s .4 bugs encountered per match, which is seriously lowballing it because some of those videos show multiple bugs and I was only allowed to record up to three instances per game.

The Translocator Hitbox bug? 100% of the time it can happen, simply because the game doesn’t move Sombra’s hitbox instantly like it’s supposed to. Don’t sit there and tell me I’m imagining things when I literally have a dozen videos showing Sombra’s terrible kit, and hundreds of Sombra players going through the same issues. They aren’t rare, they really do happen all the time.

Bugs like Orisa’s elbows clipping into her leg when she holds a puppy, or Moira’s arm moving in a funny visual way when she melee’s after saying hello or something. Not bugs that literally have an impact on the game. Furthermore, Sombra’s bugs have been shown dozens of times even before the latest patch, yet the known issues list hasn’t been updated to include any of them. Reinhardt’s bugs have been shown hundreds of times until launch, and they still haven’t mentioned them.

I don’t ask for perfection. I ask for acknowledgement. Humans aren’t perfect, and the developers are no exception. But they have yet to own up to a single mistake they have made in terms of any of their heroes.

• Poor by your standards, most of the characters are balanced just fine.

• I find OWL fun to watch. I imagine myself being able to take on a few unrealistically. Boring is subjective. There’s a real simple solution to this problem, if you find it boring, don’t watch it. Over 100k people on Twitch alone watch it though during just the regular games.

• The lootbox “problem” always makes me laugh. People act like they get game changing things from them. I mean, it could be like Battlefield and give you things that give you an advantage. Since everything in the boxes is COSMETIC ONLY, then I find no problem with it. By the way, 2 countries. Belgium and Netherlands. Japan just has to list the odds of it and what you can possibly win.

• The Arcade mode wasn’t there at launch. (Which is a ton of new modes) All the new events in the first year. Yeti and Archives added. And what’s this shocker Overwatch is not a PvE game and doesn’t need any campaign missions beyond the seasonal stuff. If you want to play a PvE game, there are many more on the market. OW is marketed and sold as a PVP game.

• Community isn’t Blizzards fault. Only the peoples. Community is far worse on LoL.

Yes but its the people who play the game… They can do what is "healthy"by the books, but if that doesnt make ur community happy… there is more ways to rome then only one… :wink:

2 Likes

He is however. Run pirate ship through Junkertown and pretty much a win. Only becomes a problem towards the end where most people switch off of Bastion for that final push. Thus his stats aren’t really recorded accurately.

He’s also a delicate one to balance. Do too much to him and he’s insanely op. Don’t do enough, and underpowered.

I can’t argue with this one. I do believe that they see what they want to. But, I actually don’t blame the developers. It would really be impossible for the developers alone to see it all. Now, having the group of moderators that they have, they should be creating a post in their admin section of the forums to highlight good ones for the developers to see.

I currently admin another forum. And it’s impossible for me to see everything that’s going on. 3 pages (20 post a page) at least a day. We rely on local moderation to highlight the things we might miss so that we can better focus on some of them. Without the moderators, the admin couldn’t handle the fort. So, this might be more of a fault of the mods and not the devs. Hard to say how they have their structure designed.

I didn’t say “you” were. I said people in general. This wasn’t a personal hit on you, please don’t take it as such. I can’t vouch for Sombra since I rarely play her. Hence why I didn’t use her as an example. Reason why I used Rein since I play him a lot more. I’m not going to debate Sombra though, because I’m a firm believer you have to be a player of a character (with some actual time into them) to accurately rate and talk about it.

Dozens of Rein bugs were fixed not too long ago. Along with quite a few Doomfist bugs. But, this also goes back to the original problem. That new code fixing the bug can cause problems with the old code creating more bugs. The best way to do it (albeit majorly time consuming) would be to rewrite the whole code. Depending on how large a characters code is, that could take forever.

Little known fact. The community would never be happy.

People will always find something to complain about. Even if every character was fun and balanced to play. Which, with the amount of characters there is, statistically impossible to do. Only gets worse the more characters there is.

The same why lol or any other modern comp game will get hate “changes to keep the game fresh”

There´s no gonna be a perfect balance ever
Changes are not made to make the game healthier
Every new hero will bring changes in meta
every new patch will bring unbalance in meta
There´s not a goal
Bad communication with its player base leads to unbalance, unbalance leads to hate, hate leads to suffering while you watch that SR going down.

The main problem is trying to catch up to everything that it comes up every time you as a dev think that is balanced only to find out something else unbalanced it no human is capable to predict the future.

bad reworks and threats to existing characters effectively being deleted by rework.
low new hero numbers (hots adds 15 a year overwatch adds four)
slow updates and patches for existing heros(many bugs)
slow and pour balance decisions that show clear favoritism for certain heros (loss of ult charge and changing how genji ult works while also hurting rienhardt mei lucio)

1 Like

Because the game is incredibly buggy.
The balancing is completely terrible and blizzard has lied about some the reasons they did certain balance changes.

The community rages at you whenever you play off meta heroes specifically because they’re not that good except if ur in GM then apparently almost everything is viable except bastion.

not to mention it takes literally two months for a hero/map to get into comp for no real reason. And even then blizzard protects their precious OWL while we suffer with their mistakes.

They dont really dont do any feed back.
When blizzard does listen to people, its very much the wrong crowd to listen to. Roadhog was outright killed off because of this reason. Not because he flanked. Not because he could one shot.
But because no skill players complained heavily and blizzard finally gave up their backbone when it came to ignoring the community and said “alright my lil babes, lemme help u” kills roadhog.

1 Like

And that’s why high tiers and the pros are using only few heroes from the pool of 28.

5 Likes

I honestly feel like the dev team has no idea what they’re doing. Just look at winston and how much he gets bullied.
“Oh look ur trying to kill this squishy, winston. Well screw u, im mercy and im healing him. U cant hurt him now” - mercy
“Oh, you’re jumping to me to try and counter me sniping? hah, look, I just walked off my ledge. Chase me monkey. Oh you jumped off as well uses ability to get back up . Well looks like you got outplayed, heh” - Hanzo & WIdow
“Yeah we’re not going to change winston” - Blizzard 2018

Yeah they dont know what they’re doing tbqh.

High tiers and pros go by what’s meta. There will always be only a handful of those.

Winston is a poor example to use. He’s not meta right now. That’s because he’s Dive and we’re no longer in that meta. Not every character can be meta but he’s still viable which every character should always be. There are several that aren’t viable at all which is a problem.

You’re playing Winston wrong with this mentality. That’s not how his kit is designed. He’s a disrupter.

I can very easily take down a Widow. My cooldown is much shorter for leap then hers is for her hook. Hanzo can be a bit more of a challenge, but I can take him down most of the time. It all depends on where I land and if I can strafe with my shield to kill him. It was harder with scatter arrow.

Because he doesn’t need changing.

you literally cannot play bastion effectively.

There are two shot AOE characters galore running rampant in gold/plat that you genuinely cannot compete with unless “muh aim” and even then, pharah can be hyper aggressive and just literally fall on you and two shot you then boost and fly away and you cant do anything about it.

Most tanks are trash and are mostly only good on defense due to the fact that they dont have to push because most of their push strength has been nerfed into the ground.

I dont care. Mercy flies and can go to whatever team mate in line of sight. If she is attentive, you literally cannot do anything with him. And if you’re saying a tank can only be a disrupter then I think he needs a rework.

yeah because hanzo can shoot him mid jump and then pressure you with scatter arrow.
Now hanzo has a leap ability that leaps him out of ur range of AOE and its on a shorter cooldown than your jump, and even then when he can just do the trick of run away and climb back up. you literally cannot combat this.
Stay up top, oh look they ran away.
follow them, oh look you gotta sit on the ground while they snipe ur team.

literally cannot counter this.

And no, if you can pick any character on any side of the match, attack or defense, then heroes cannot be one specific role on some maps.

They need to be in a vague generalization and not specialized in a certain way, this will literally make them have a very low pick rate and be trash in any other situation.
That is truth and it also explains why Orisa was trash because blizzard designed her to work well on Defense but yet not have it so you cant only pick certain kinds of characters on defense/offense. Literally a terrible design choice.

Have you not read any of my other post?

Bastion, like I said, is in a delicate area. If given too much he’s op. Properly protect him like with Pirate ship and he dominates.

Orisa, Rein, D.Va, and Winston are all fine. So dunno why you say they are trash. Rein is the most picked across the board out of EVERY character now. D.Va is still powering through even with the death of Dive. Orisa is fine, but she’s too slow even by Rein standards. And Winston fell out due to the meta shift. Doesn’t make him bad though.

Hog is still good imo, just doesn’t mold well with the meta.

Pharah is #9 picked in Gold. #13 in Plat. She’s beat my Ana (ANA!!!) for christ sakes in Plat. She’s not a problem. With the double sniper, it’s hard to be a Pharah main right now.