Genji: hey brother im alive

Hanzo: I HATE YOU GENJI YOUR A DISGRACE TO THE SHIMADA CLAN, I WILL KILL YOU,

4 days later

Genji: I have forgiven you hanzo

Hanzo: i havent forgiven myself

RINSE AND REPEAT

Srsly hanzo make up your mind

6 Likes

Hanzo might have hated Genji in the brotherly sense but that’s not exactly why he killed him. In fact killing Genji “broke his heart” to quote his profile. So yeah, he behaves like a guy with a broken heart.*

*Not counting the times he shaves his head, puts on his Naruto cosplay, and goes to drink neon beer with his pals in Mexico, and when he steals cake from orphans during the holidays.

5 Likes

He killed Genji out of duty for his clan, it was nothing personnal. You said it yourself, he still feels guilty about it. When Genji showed up alive and at peace with the past, he was upset because Genji (the victim) had moved on while he couldn’t. Makes you feel like a useless waste of human being.

12 Likes

With the death of their father, it does strike me as suspicious that the elders would want Hanzo to take “care” of Genji. With conflict between the brothers, it leaves the Shimada clan opened to another leadership. :thinking:

Hanzo never did hate Genji, and he still doesn’t hate Genji. The man was groomed to be a heir. That left him little freedom to think for himself, so when the clan pressured him, he fulfilled his duty and “killed” his brother.

You can tell Hanzo was severely traumatized by that decision and it’ll follow him his life long. This happens in reality too. If someone does an unspeakable act, that guilt will eat them up alive. Not to mention Hanzo wishes he himself were dead and is seeking that death.

3 Likes

Don’t know about being Bi-Polar, but I sure as hell would be depressed after having blood on my hands like Hanzo has. Maybe even PTSD.

1 Like

Yes, we all know he hates what he did, but I think the OP was more mentioning that in game he swings between hating what he did and random anger in a heartbeat

Because that’s typical behavior of someone not knowing how to react to a situation like that. That still doesn’t strike me as “I WILL KILL YOU” rather than it’s him trying make a point. He didn’t know it was Genji until the very end; and he drew his bow but never fired. Hanzo could’ve fired an arrow in a heartbeat if he wanted to.

1 Like

He hates himself from trying to kill his brother and I think he doesnt want to accept genji’s forgiveness because he thinks what he did is unforgiveable, you can see in the genji’s photo in nepal that they were in good terms at least until the other clan elders start to act after Hanzo and Genji’s father.
Maybe there was some banter between them with Hanzo trying to straighten Genji but despite Genji’s irresponsability toward the clan he was, ultimately, still family.

The difference between Genji and Hanzo is that Genji eventually got help unlike Hanzo, the one person he was close to he tried to kill.
Hanzo is pretty much a broken man and I hope someone would be able to be here for him because he desperately needs it, at least we know that Hanzo wouldnt join Talon if given th opportunity so there is hope.

3 Likes

Let us not forget, Hanzo seems to dislike omnics (in the short, the only one he shoots is an omnic, and in game he mentions he doesn’t like Numbani…).
So aside from everything else that has been said, Genji has come back as something Hanzo hates, a machine, and he might be conflicted about that. Especially because he sort of made him so.

Genji: What’s wrong, Hanzo? Don’t you recognize me?
Hanzo: You may call yourself my brother, but you are not the Genji I knew.

'Cause he got mad depression.