Why is experimental back?

There are patch notes for it somewhere.

I didn’t get a game update nor see a post or something talking about it

they dont want to do that on ptr anymore for a few reasons.

1. there are more people playing on the live client, usually after a day or 2 you would have trouble finding a match on the ptr.
  2. now console players can actually try these potential changes since they never had a ptr
6 Likes

The game doesn’t need to update for the experimental card to be there, it’s directly on the server

1 Like

Experimental is, much like the name suggests- there to let the devs rapidly try experimental concepts.

The ptr isn’t necessarily for experiment.

The ptr is there for the developers to test new code that effects how the game will play, and they want to test its stability before pushing it live.

Experimental will have less radical changes from a coding perspective- and typically be more along the lines of value changes.

It also lets them have console players try out the experimental aspects, as they can not join the ptr

1 Like

Ik thats why i said i didn’t get an update because usually thats when you can see patchnotes. Beyond that im not sure i can see them. Also it doesn’t seem more accessible to me with these 23+ minute que times. Like jesus Christ im still waiting to get into my first experimental match of the day

Yeah I’m not sure how people found patch notes, even I don’t know where they are and I know quite a bit about the game

Its very likely the PTR will only be used for new hero releases, and Reworks from now on, and balance updates will be going to Experimental

Since its harder to patch in a new hero to one mode, than some updates

1 Like

Give me one second and I can get you the Experimental changes

EDIT:

Are you serious? In announcements. Smh

i assume you are trying to queue for dps like 90% of the queue since all but 1 change is to dps

Where were you looking? Do you not just go to all categories and find it there?

No, it literally says “find patch notes here!” And it directs me to 2018 patch notes I use the client itself to look for it but they messed that up cause it shows the false page

Why it shouldnt be back?

They said that it wont be only for the 321 did they? They literally said that they’ll test balance changes aswell there. I dont get why it’s so hard to understand about why it’s back.

1 Like

It’s probably because they don’t actually have to update the game to put the changes in so it didn’t update the client patch notes or something.

Yeah this whole thread is just some guy missing the memo about what the experimental card is :man_shrugging:

2 Likes
  1. The experimental mode wasn’t only for the purpose of testing 1-3-2
  2. The experimental mode is for any smaller changes that the PTR isn’t necessary for. The PTR is only being used for larger changes that post a risk to destabilizing the live game such as new heroes
  3. As such, the experimental mode is the perfect place to test balance changes. More people use the live client and so they receive more data around these changes before the enter other game modes
  4. The experimental mode allows for console players to engage in testing these changes as they do not have access to a PTR server
  5. The experimental mode doesn’t always require an update as it’s handled directly on the server
  6. If you right-click on the experimental card in game, there is a link to the relevant patch notes
3 Likes

Experimental is an ongoing mode that will show up randomly from time to time when they have a new idea for balance they wanna try out.

One feature request i would like to see in experimental is whenever someone start that mode. It’s list all available patches. So everyone can see it.

There was a time the PTR was for intended to be for “experimental changes” they didn’t listen to any of the feedback. Then later when people asked why none of their feedback was considered they said “PTR is for bug testing only” which was a flat out lie. They had previously been advertising the fact that they wanted our feedback on a stickied thread, which got archived real quickly when they decided to ignore all of it.

It’s different changes this time, it was supposed to replace the PTR in terms of smaller balance changes