Why is being diamond considered bad?

I probably have roughly 20 real-life friends who casually play Overwatch and most are high silver or low gold. I don’t know why anyone considers Diamond to be terrible?

And I would also be curious to see the age bracket of players in Master and above and whether or not they work full-time. That’s not an attack on anyone playing at that level, I just can’t imagine anyone reaching that level without putting in an insane amount of hours into FPS gaming.

14 Likes

I don’t know or have met anyone who thinks Diamond up is “bad”, not sure who you are talking to unless these are casuals in QP mostly. If they are in comp, then that’s just sour grapes in its purest form.

On the age question, look at the pro players… that gives you an idea of the mental development required for advanced play. Twitch 12 year olds generally are lacking the deeper analysis needed for a complex game but have awesome reflexes to put them in Plat on mechanical characters.

14 Likes

because people need SOME way of thinking they’re “Better” than others.

I can assure you I know absolutely nobody who’s ever asked someone on a date and been rejected, or applied for a job and been denied because they never made it past diamond.

Rank shaming is just another e-peen waving contest… lots of noise but doesn’t mean anything.

21 Likes

Diamond to a (low) GM is what Bronze is to a Gold. That’s all there is to it.
It’s extremely bad in comparison to them.

20 Likes

You can still be in the top 50%
Or even top 75%
Or even top 90%

But so long as there’s someone above you, they have reason to look down.

Not to say they should, but they can. Thus, they often will.

24 Likes

I think its about the mindset, diamond is worst rank for me, even worse then lower ones.

Because from my experience diamond players thinks how good they are while they are not.

My experience with Gold players for example is much better. They know what they can do and not and i didnt meet much people who would believe they are wrongly placed there.

But it seems like every diamond is like i dont belong here!

But thats a little prejudice:)

3 Likes

People in T500 make of of GMs, GMs make fun of Masters, Masters make fun of Diamonds, everyone makes fun of Plats because it’s a cool thing to say, even people below Plat.
I do think Diamond is widely considered the base line for a respectably good player though. But the bottom line is, every rank is made fun of except for t500s.

7 Likes

Diamond players are kinda bad. I should know, I’m one of them.

Who really cares about this sort of thing anyway? Just play the game and have fun.

6 Likes

You are not BAD being diamond only 7% of the playerbase can be there. Stop listening idiots on MASTER, GM OR TOP500 moaning… Most of them barely have a “LIFE” they put 12 hours per day into OW and still daring to say they are good

Just look the amount of time of the streams these dudes does 8 to 12 hours per session. So you have a idea in 3 years these people probably played 8k + hours into OW… vs a GOLD player barely have 1k hours on OW

1 Like

Diamond is well above the skill level of the average player, congratulations.

That said, there is a considerable difference in skill between Diamond and Grand Master.

Is diamond bad? Relative to the majority of players, no. But relative to the best players, kinda.

Diamond isn’t bad. It’s roughly the top 15% of players.

Anyone with higher sr than you will use any excuse they can to ruin you.

3 Likes

Let me do the math for you:

Taking “Street fighter V” as example “Daigo” everyone knows him.

He grind 8 hours at day but i will be “nice” and reduce the number to 6 hours at day.

6 hours at day * 6 days at week = 36 hours per week, 144 hours per month, 1728 hours per year and 5184 hours on 3 years of OW.

So how IN THE HELL do you think a BRONZE, SILVER, GOLD or PLATINUM player with 1000-1500 hours on the game will compete vs somebody with 5k-6k hours is INSANE the people on GM-TOP500 dare to be arrogant for beat people on GOLD-DIAMOND… When OW is the LIFE of GM-TOP500

2 Likes

Low master here, age 28 and with a full time job.

3 Likes

Because you shouldn’t listen to the opinion of others ESPECIALLY in a video game of all things.

Have you even met anyone at that rank?
The highest ranked player I’ve spent any actual time with works like 15h/day and was able to hit 4500+ SR while playing for 2-3h a day at most and spending 90% of that time in QP. You’re so wrong it’s not even funny.

2 Likes

Because if you’re a naturally talented gamer you’ll reach diamond rather easily. I’ve done only placements back in the day and rose up to diamond from those and I think I was a pretty bad player back then. Sure the playerbase is better now than it was back then but you should naturally progress too which easily mitigates that effect. The average is about 2300SR which means that the most casual player who only occasionally pop in to play are generally around that rank and it’s a really warped idea to think that the average is good or that the slightly above average is good since you can easily achieve that by dedicating yourself even a bit into the game

For these various reasons only Master+ players are considered actually good, but that will never mean that individuals won’t look down upon masters from their GM thrones or GMs from their Top 500 thrones

Hello Hello

I recently switched to PC and im a 3250~ DPS Main on PC and i consider myself and this Rank trash. This has nothing to do with putting players down its just simply my personal view.

1 Like

I have managed to get to diamond a few times therefore it is a trash rank because I am a trash player.

1 Like

Diamond is actually top 15% of the player base if I remember correctly.

I don’t understand rank elitism in general, I know people that are bordering 1000h in the game, play comp pretty much every season and they dip in and out of gold… More power to them if they’re having fun.

I made it to Platinum I (the second highest rank) in Rainbow Six: Siege ranked just by horsing around and sniping people with pistols, going Tachanka on defense etc. I’m a gaming god, kneel before me… I could obviously make it to Diamond in that as well if I put at least some effort into it, I’m just that good but at the point where I’d have to start reviewing VOD’s and stuff, someone needs to start paying me.