✅ Why is a 3.5k DPS = to a 3.5k Tank?

It’s less than 5%.

That hardly stops people from trying to throw the rest of the game under the bus for them.

Let’s pretend the people watching the dps streamers decided to get Overwatch.

What role do you think they will play? Will it help queue times?

This idea is essentially forced smurfing. Wasn’t the entire point of role queue for higher quality matches? If you have to completely destroy match quality to make role queue work what’s the point of role queue?

Having 2 players on each team that are better than the other 8 people in a match is frustrating for everyone. The tanks and supports are completely dependent on their dps to do anything and the dps are frustrated because the rest of their team is barely contributing anything.

If one role has such a huge impact that the high ranks are completely saturated with them maybe we should look into giving the other roles more impact instead of trying to force awkward bandaids over the root problem. Honestly, I think your efforts would be better spent looking for other solutions instead of searching for every way you can possibly think of to try and justify this awful idea.

Because for many people it simply doesn’t work. I don’t exactly know what the stats are but I’m fairly certain solo queue players make up a sizeable portion of the playerbase.

Potentially. It depends on how players from different roles flock to the idea of the pass. For example if no dps players care about it and thus only people who already play those roles choose to use it, it has a negative effect. But if even a small percentage of dps players which make up an overwhelming amount of the playerbase choose to offrole for that pass, it has a positive effect.

It heavily depends on what portion of players choosing to try and get that priority queue is, and how hard you have to work to achieve priority status. It also matters how many people have that priority status. It’s all something they could tweak to guarantee it’s always having a positive effect and not a negative one. Maybe they haven’t bothered trying it because it’s very easy to do something like that wrong and sabotage itself.

More special rewards for doing things like flexing would be amazing. I saw a post about it a few days ago about how they could have a special currency you get for flexing that you can spend for cosmetics that can only be bought with that currency. I liked the idea though I suppose it wouldn’t go over very well with the most stubborn of players. If they have the resources to pull it off (it’d require quite a bit of a content drop) I would love it.

1 Like

That’s from February 2018, but sure, that would make my argument even stronger.

Flex bux.

Beautiful idea.

Overwatch sites over sample higher ranks.

On the rare occasions we actually have Blizzard data it’s better to use that.

If you have DPS players play Tank then decide to quit if they are good at it they will drive the existing tanks down in SR which will make queue times worse temporarily at the top until the tanks can climb back up.

It’s possible that happened at the high ranks. Lots of people did the placements on all roles then swapped to playing their main role. Several of the high rank players commented that their SR on roles like tank was higher than they expected. It’s possible they knocked other tank mains down/held the higher SR’s and then didn’t play anymore themselves since they didn’t want to and the decay was turned off so they’d get the rewards just for doing placements.

I’d think that a month would have been long enough to fix that though as the lower tanks would start climbing if few people better than them were playing.

Yeah, I can’t say I was very happy with their role queue placements. On the PTR, I assumed it was just the PTR being lenient. On the live beta, I assumed it was still just a learning period. Once it happened again, in full live, I was disappointed.

To that point I agree. Having a priority queue system when they still haven’t gotten convincing off-role ranks correctly would be… interesting in a bad way.

1 Like

I’d also like to point out that if a 3.5k DPS isn’t equal to a 3.5k Tank it’s an objective sign that the DPS role itself is statistically unbalanced and needs to have less impact on the match. It’s not a sign that the matchmaker needs changing.

You seem to be missing the point.
DPS skillset is fundamentally different from Tank skillset.

There is no objective reason they are equivalent at any specific given skill tier.

True.
Best tank players should be paired wit best DPS and support players.
Same with average players.

However, an average DPS’s SR could be higher or lower than those of average support/tank players

Eventually, through thousands losses and wins, balance will be reached. Maybe we need a soft SR reset after the first post-role-queue seasons.

All three roles are ranked using the same sr system. A 3.5k DPS and Tank in theory regardless of skill sets should still have about the same win rate in order to maintain the sr they have. That is the objective common factor between everyone at a given rank. If the DPS have to be artificially sr limited for skill sets something isn’t right here and it’s not the matchmaker.

What if the Tank player is forced to play with a wider range of skill, which causes more losses that are outside of their control?

Or if it’s just objectively easier to carry games from the DPS Role?

Not having a hard reset for atleast the role you are not playing is horrible. Not having a hard reset at all after 18 seasons is even worse.

Artificially skewing the DPS sr would make both of those problems worse. DPS would artificially have more impact if they need a higher win rate to rank up and Tanks would have less control over the match as a result. In addition, one role being so much easier to carry with that the sr system needs to be changed to accommodate it objectively has too much impact on the match. The impact of DPS should be changed at that point and not the matchmaker.

That’s never going to happen, unless you make healers/tanks have as much firepower as DPS.
Which is easier said “That’s never going to happen period”.

Also every time someone says artificial, all I hear is “changes are bad, because they change things.” Which is an annoying weak argument.

@OP

Stop confusing people with logical common sense.

This isn’t even a counter point it’s just circular reasoning followed by a strawman. You’re essentially saying DPS have to have more impact than the other roles because tanks and supports can’t have as much impact as DPS. Your reasoning is just a different way of stating your claim. My argument also has nothing to do with opposing change. I suggested we change the DPS role if your claim of a 3.5k DPS being unequal to a 3.5k Tank is true.

You do realize I’m calling your “artificial” comment circular reasoning, right?

And your suggestion is saying we can’t fix something unless we hold out for something that’s literally never going to happen. I.e. Excessively high gatekeeping

Basically you’re saying “changing a numbering system is too much change, let’s just heavily nerf over half heroes in the game instead”.

This is how you would expect it to work and this is how it works. There have been lots of forum posts about dps complaining about low SR tanks in their games describing exactly what you are saying.

The strawman you created is circular reasoning. The word artificial isn’t even important to my argument I just had to have a way to describe your solution. If it bothers you that much you can replace that part with a word like modify or change and remove the second one. My point is still the same. A 3.5k DPS being more valuable than a 3.5k Tank indicates the role has too much impact. There’s also no evidence that your solution is any more realistic than mine. Biasing the matchmaker against DPS in the mode where fairness is supposed to matter isn’t any more likely to happen than lowering the impact of the DPS role.