Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

There’s a phrase I always heard as a child, If you keep telling a lie, then that lie becomes your truth. thats what’s happening here. Mercy 2.0 is a poor attempt at getting her to fit in. Valkyrie is an Ability, not an Ultimate, it doesn’t benefit her as it does her team.

2 Likes

Factually, Valkyrie is an ultimate as determined by Blizzard, as is their right given that they own the intellectual property that is Mercy and the game of Overwatch as a whole

Factually, there are many others who have weighed in on the pro-Mercy side of this topic in this thread (and many other Mercy-related threads)

well, feel free to send me a link describing the news in question, ie (quoting you):

“Factually there’s no issues with that, its getting reworked”

Yet you clearly do as you subscribe to the definition given by the developers.

I also see you missed the entire point of my post which frankly I’m not surprised by.

1 Like

I dont subscribe to a definition, rather, there is a provided definition within the context of this game

and as I explained, as people capable of critical thinking we are allowed to question the rules and concepts set up in the game and deny their validity

One can deny anything one wishes to deny, or question anything one wishes to question

If one wishes to believe that Mercy is a male or Ganymede is a cocker spaniel, they can certainly do so if the choose to

Those who deal in fact, however, understand that certain terms have specific meanings within specific contexts, meanings defined for all, not meanings to be defined individually. For example, while ultimate can mean different things in different contexts, within the context of Overwatch ultimate has a specific meaning that is defined by Blizzard, as the owners of the intellectual property that is Overwatch.

That’s a very narrow way of exploring the world

Would you PLEASE get your terminology correct… You sound like the young ‘Biff Tannen’ from “Back to the Future” franchise when you get it wrong. Because FACTUALLY-

• Mercy mains are ALL Pro-Mercy, otherwise we would not play her at all.
  • Anti-Mercy would mean people who refuse to play Mercy at all or Hate Mercy like a certain Screaming Monkey an many OWL Players.

If you want a more precise version of what you are trying to get across, and stop sounding illiterate, it would be-

• Happy with Current Mercy
  • UN-Happy with Current Mercy.

Or, if you like ‘Pro’ and ‘Anti’ prefix so much it would be-

• Pro-Current Mercy
  • Anti-Current Mercy

Not to sound offensive, but a basic understanding of the English Language and word usage when replying to this, or any other, forum is necessary to convey correctly what you are trying to say. Getting things accidentally (due to lack of knowledge) or purposefully (to tick people off) wrong just makes your statements… less genuine. In fact, it makes everything you say in the forum sound tainted.

That and using “Factually” all the time, when it is more often than not your opinion or opinions of others, makes everything you say suspect. An when I say ‘suspect’ I mean you Actually play DPS and don’t want Mercy players undoing you sick POG by pressing ‘Q’, when the sick POG was you pressing ‘Q’ for your Ultimate.

11 Likes

the context being explored in this discussion, as I understand it, is Overwatch

One can say that context is narrow or broad, both potentially being correct based on one’s point of view, which can vary

that said, within this context, there is factually only one definition for ultimate - the one Blizzard defined

In my opinion, I use correct terminology

I dont believe I have gotten anything wrong, other than items where I explicitly stated I was wrong - as in the case of initially stating that I didnt feel Animetic was anti-Mercy (which btw still saddens and confuses me, as she seems very pro-Mercy in her excellent videos)

I have stated my definition of what anti-Mercy means, and I stand by my definition.

Given this definition, some (but not all) Mercy mains are Anti-Mercy

It sounds (to me) that based on this statement you have your own definition of Anti-mercy. I have no issue with that, if that matters.

I am fine with the terminology I use.

It provides a clear cut delineation between two diametrically opposed groups of individuals specifically in terms of position on Mercy changes

Mercy is current Mercy.

All other/past versions of Mercy are not Mercy, as Mercy is what Blizzard (the owners of the intellectual property that is Mercy) defines her to be

Factually, English is my native tongue, and I am fully versed in how to use it

Everything I have said has been genuine based on my understanding of facts as they pertain to this game well as my experience with this game and of course with Mercy - both playing as her and playing against her

As I have explained previously in this and many other Mercy-related threads across these forums, I use the term factually to specify that the statement I am making is a fact. If someone casts doubt that I feel a certain wahy, I will often use that term to make it more clear that the opinion is indeed my opinion, ie “Factually, I do believe that Mercy is balanced and fun”. In this example, it is indeed a fact that this is indeed my opinion.

I am very careful not to use the word factually in a sentence that is actually stating an opinion. That said, it is possible (as it is for any human) for me to make mistakes, and would welcome your feedback when you believe I have done so - including any specific lines from specific posts you’d care to point out now.

I dont generally play DPS except in Mystery Heroes, so with apologies, I do not understand what you are attempting to convey here

I think we can all agree that Valkyrie is in fact an ability being passed off as an Ultimate that doesn’t belong lol. it’s not something that’s going to help the team win as much as it passes itself off as “Hey look, im contributing but am I really? no” lol

5 Likes

I am a part of “we all”

I do not agree

Many others have already expressed that they like Valkyrie as it is and find it fun and impactful to use, and as such, they to would as I see it disagree with your assertion here

I find that a good Mercy player helps his/her team win almost every time when Valkyrie is used properly

Oh good. We do realize Mercy’s base kit is very good. That’s nice, I was starting to think it was all about the ult. The comparison is worthy of considering, and the nuanced reasons behind it. It points to bias. There is no reason Mass Rez is required for Mercy to have an ult that some players would call impactful etc.

I get flippant when I feel like I’m having to explain the obvious too often. It’s a character flaw I’m working on, friendo.

That is making a difference. It confirms a won fight, as things can swing in wild ways at times. It turns a close loss into a win at times. I don’t necessarily pop trans when I’m down 1 or 2 people. Might be hard reset. You’re wanting something very specific if you’re wanting Mass Rez.

Huh? Are we talking like first out the gate when no one has built up ults? Like… There’s so much to consider. I find this ^. And this:

Is all so terribly oversimplified. It’s a lot of work for me to go through. The thing is, it makes a difference. In different ways, at different times. Acting like it didn’t offers nothing to the discussion.

That’s cool. Makes sense.

Why am I going to try to assume the position of a diverse amount of players of a huge number? Yeah clearly some people aren’t happy, thus this topic and such. Feelings have to be considered yes, but only so much.

I’ve found it important a lot of times. It’s turned a potentially lost fight into a winning one, it’s provided various clutch specific plays. I’m not saying it’s the answer. I have stated numerous times I’m not a big fan of Valk, and I’m all for adjusting it. No Mass Rez though.

Ah seems like it’s down to us. No, I’m not implying that. I’m just pointing at that as things to consider while you draw your conclusions and argue them. It applies in a lot of ways.

And how they interact with the game as a whole. How it all performs and such as a whole.

Pulse Bomb is an easy to use ult? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Like Nano or Infra? Iunno about that… False equivalency imo.

I get what you’re saying in a sense, but I don’t think it’s as big a deal as you’re making it out to be tbh.

Why would you assume that is like my “main argument” or something? Or representative of my perspective on balancing? After all the stuff I’ve written in the way it’s written? You think I’m throwing that hypothetical out there in some definitive way? No. It’s just something to consider. Just like your feelings.

You’re arguing feelings here. You just told me how you experience playing Mercy is. I experience it differently. And I don’t see there being any gain in us comparing these subjective experiences in a detailed way.

What I guess you want is that you feel Mercy’s base kit is so basic and you want some way to really express yourself in the ult. Cool. I can understand that and think it’s definitely worth discussing.

Again, Mass Rez not required.

I’m all for making things glittery or shiney or whatever but this is all so very subjective. Again, accommodating these feelings doesn’t require Mass Rez.

Like so many extremes. “Valkyrie doesn’t do anything to help.” It just factually (lol I used it) does. You can’t deny that. I’m sorry the experience you have with it is so bad. Mine isn’t that bad. Not saying things can’t be improved on. This hyperbole is killing me, man. “Salvage this train wreck” and stuff like come on. What does that do to benefit the discussion?

It’s not her players. It’s SOME players. It’s some players having a very bad reaction to a change. Understandable, it happens. We can spend an entire thread just going over the definitions of “impact,” “fun,” “skill,” “expression,” etc etc all means in regards to Mercy and how she interacts with the game. Our definitions are clearly different.

Again. Mass Rez is not required for any of this.

It really isn’t. You’re exaggerating a lot imo. Just the way the ult interacts with the game and other players means it does have worth. It can be very strong, given the right circumstance.

Not all ults counter other ults. I understand you and other people want to be able to direct counter ults with your ult. That’s a topic to definitely dive into I suppose. Again, Mass Rez not required.

Ofc she is valuable beyond her one rez. Her rez has not changed recently. She went from dominant to not. Clearly shows value outside of rez. Again, this is just like unnecessary hyperbole imo.

Numerically? Hm sure. That doesn’t account for how it interacted with the game. You can have an RNG 50/50 hero. Basically they see you, and one of you die, 50/50 chance. Balanced. How does that interact with the game though? With otheer players etc?

Because of the 1:1-5 mechanic of it, and it relying on you having dead team mates while being alive.

I’m not one of those people. I think I’ve made it clear I consider Mass Rez a trash ult. Not powerful.

Agree on this.

Ana and Moira have no way of saving 4 people from being taken out by a Rip Tire in their base kits. False equivalencies again.

What she couldn’t do? What wasn’t that she couldn’t do that was so bad?

Well sure that makes total sense. I’m sure people playing in different settings had different experiences with it. It requires dead team mates to use, and then you manipulation the circumstances around that. In some settings, you don’t have control over those circumstances and it’s used to bring up 1 person.

I wouldn’t want more limitations to Mass Rez really, cuz even when lacking them I didn’t consider it good. I can see Mass Rez plays giving people huge rushes they can’t find on any other hero. I never had that rush, but hey I can see it. So much of this is feeling based. Like… I disagree but what do I gain from pointing that out repeatedly?

That said, all for accommodating those feelings more. And again, Mass Rez not required. Though you might never get THAT particular feel back.

E rez is a 1:1 mechanic. Mass Rez is a 1:1-5. Very different. By moving from 1:1-5 to 1:1, the hide and rez tactic that was being problematic in certain settings was removed. She also gained a lot of value in coordinated settings. Too much. Too much value everywhere.

The shift from 1:1-5 to 1:1 was good, in concept, imho.

Define “balance.”

I get what you’re saying, just disagree on your take. Zen has an incredibly impactful base kit, and has that “powerful” ult countering ult. It’s all case to case.

Again, Mass Rez not required.

Perhaps. I’d still bet on my leg compared to yours.

1 Like

Your definition is YOUR definition. It’s also pedantic and frankly kind of a joke.

6 Likes

“I fail to see anything humorous about my definition of Mercy. I find it to be concise and accurate.”

:roll_eyes:

Rip tire is not midfight

Give healing or utility to keep teammates alive and not die under targeted fire like other supports

By throwing out the ult and not trying to address it. Moreover, moving it to a new seeing doesn’t eliminate the problem itself

1 shots etc. It was just what popped in mind dude. Obviously.

She… Can though? To a degree. She can’t Ana nade burst heal sure. Why should she? Different kits.

Hm? The problems with it was how the 1:1-5 mechanic interacted with the game. That’s where the problems were. Not with it’s balance, or it’s feelings, or anything like that. You can’t solve those problems as they’re inherent to 1:1-5.

Thus it was moved to 1:1.

1 Like

I dont find it to be a joke at all

I find it to be a serious though simple delineation between two disparate groups of folks