Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Factually, I have a profile just as any player does, and within that profile is proof of the hours I have on Mercy

My profile is private, and will remain private; as is my right just as it is the right of all players to choose public or private profile

For the record this post and others like it are why some people get frustrated while trying to discuss things with you.

Generally the way discussions play out is…
Person A states their position.
Person B states their opposing position and at least a few reasons why they hold the opposing position.
Person A then responds with their own reasons or why they think Person B’s reasons are invalid.
Person B responds.
Person A and B continue going back and forth until they find common ground or someone decides to stop responding.

I have never yet seen a post where you explain or attempt to explain why you hold the position you do. You just state your position again and again, leaving people with no way to continue the discussion.

2 Likes

Factually, I have many hours of playtime on Mercy

I have already stated many times that there is a difference between what one can do and what one will actually do.

I have already stated many times that I have many hours of playtime on Mercy

I have already stated many times that I can provide proof but choose not to do so

I have nothing further to add

see previous statement

see previous statement

when you refer to spamming, do you mean things like a series of posts that make the same demand/request (whichever one prefers) over and over again?

The struggle to understand is real, have yet another biscuit for at least trying. After all, you’re being told that in your opinion you’re easy to understand and make sense, but that’s only in your opinion. If you end up understanding, you get an extra biscuit!

2 Likes

How is making an entire thread about the change as well as stating you would be okay with said change not proposing it? I fail to see your logic here. You may not want Mercy to be changed, but you would be okay with this one change you made a thread for. Therefore, you’re proposing, and advocating, the change.

pro·pose- verb-
1. put forward (an idea or plan) for consideration or discussion by others.

ad·vo·cate- verb-
1. publicly recommend or support.

ad·vo·cate- noun-
1. a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy.

No matter your reasons for not opposing the change mentioned, you still did not oppose it. You actually accepted and promoted by means of creating a thread for the topic and stating within other threads that you accept it as a change for Mercy, which means you are absolutely proposing/advocating it. Where is the disconnect here?

Yes and you have already stated that it’s a change you would accept. Which means you are putting it out there for discussion with others as well as being an advocate for it. Again, where is the disconnect? Where am I losing you?

This response:

Has nothing to do with what you’re responding to:

I was, and still am, asking for clarity on your definitions.

I am speaking about your posts and how you word things with an an outsider’s eye. This allows me to tell you, factually, that what you say can be very unclear and misleading. This simple fact can easily be spotted by reading the responses people have to both you and what you say. Of course you will find yourself easy to understand, but a lot of those that read what you say and interact with you do not find it so easy.

6 Likes

I respectfully disagree because factually I damn well use all of her kit and overall it still shows that she is situational and best at pocketing. Just because I am stubborn in her usage because I am good at her, doesn’t make her any better when she is bottlenecked by so many features in her own kit.

4 Likes

Debatable.

An opinion.

1 Like

You think far too black and white.

Fluid transitions occur between all the actions you have stated and nothing stops you from going back on those actions.

Mercy missing healing often has a rough time going back on the action because switching weapon is more time wasted that could result in player death, etc.

And there are many characters that have aoe impact so choices like that do not have to be made and reaction time with characters that don’t have weapon switch can fluidly switch between actions that make those choices often not even noticed.

And choosing certain actions does not stop other things; for example

Soldier 76 can heal and then immediately go back to damaging. His choice to use helix rockets which is a different action continues damage.

The choice for Roadhog to hook instead of keeping shooting doesn’t cancel out the damage he is doing, it gives him a guaranteed boost when he hits.

Your analysis isn’t correct because there is the complete opposite side of the argument where people can continue doing their main role much easier and fluidly than others.

Moira can multiheal, then deal damage ans still be healing because of orb and after heals or deal damage with orb and heal, etc. Moira is a perfect example of being able to do multiple things at any given time and not giving things up for choice.

4 Likes

Sure, it can be debatable but considering I know that I use every part of her kit and get complimented frequently by my team and enemies, that I am doing well at my level of play and that I must be doing things correctly.

I can see where Valkyrie causes her skillfloor to max out immediately.
It doesn’t take a genius to see that Valkyrie can make any bad Mercy good for it’s duration. Seeing someone effectively use her base kit, that is something else entirely.

3 Likes

Some doors close forever. Others open in most unexpected places.

Power resides where men believe it resides. It’s a trick, a shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

1 Like

Found it!

Animetic adores Mercy and seems to have fun with her, but that doesn’t mean she’s happy with Mercy’s current state. It’s possible for both of these things to exist at the same time. I’m an example of that as well. I enjoy playing Mercy and am simultaneously unhappy with the current state of things.
The bolded statements in Animetic’s reply seem to indicate that she’s not as thrilled as people seem to believe. As Sarah stated, she simply doesn’t have the time to write up things on the forums. I also think she tends to avoid being negative, which might have something to do with it.

8 Likes

Flying is fun. Watching your team getting shredded and not being able to fix it isn’t.
Which means that if you just don’t care about your teammates, Mercy is very fun.

I agree. GA is what has me consistently returning to Mercy (outside of just plainly liking the character).

Your experience is contradicted by the statistics.

In other words, your subjective perception, which may or may not be twisted to support your agenda at the moment, is flatly contradicted by objective numerical evidence, and therefore, it is objectively false… That is, assuming you have objective evidence to back your claim, but if you did, you probably would have stated it by now.

What numerical evidence do I have?

Let’s make a hypothesis reflecting a claim. Let’s say that we are hypothesizing that Resurrect encouraged the Mercy player to stop healing, to hide, to stop participating in the fight.

Let’s make another hypothesis reflecting a claim coming from the same argument as the claim made in the first hypothesis. Let’s suppose that “hide and rez” has been eliminated from Mercy’s kit with the rework.

Before the rework, if a Mercy player uses the tactic of “hide and rez”, they are spending a lot of the time that would otherwise be spent healing teammates on not healing. Thus, the healing dealt that match by that Mercy would decrease, and by extension, so would the average healing dealt by all Mercy players in the game by a tiny amount. Therefore, if our hypotheses are true, we can say with full confidence that Mercy’s healing averages prior to the rework were far lower than they were after the rework but before the healing nerf. We can say this for two reasons:

• Less time is spent hiding, more time is spent healing.
  • Valkyrie, an ability that theoretically quintuples Mercy’s total healing output, was added.

Let’s put these hypotheses to the test… because I just so happen to have a bit of data recorded from those time periods:

• Mercy’s average healing/game as of June 28th, 2017 (pre-rework): 11905.
  • Mercy’s average healing/game as of August 12th, 2017 (pre-rework): - 11912.
  • Mercy’s average healing/game as of March 21st, 2018 (post-rework): 11926.
  • Mercy’s average healing/game as of May 31st, 2018 (post-rework): 11603.
  • Mercy’s average healing/game as of June 30th, 2018 (post-rework): 11752.
  • Mercy’s average healing/game as of July 22nd, 2018 (post-rework): 12132.
  • Mercy’s average healing/game as of August 7th, 2018 (post-rework): 12085.

Okay, so… where’s the big increase? If Mercy players were spending so much less time hiding, and if Mercy gained a new ultimate that increases her healing capacity, surely we should see an overall increase greater than 200/game, not even considering a peak increase… And we certainly shouldn’t be seeing a drop by 300 points.

So… what gives?

The only thing that can give. In reality, Mercy’s healing average was deflated so insignificantly that there is no visible difference. Because that is the case, then the first hypothesis must be incorrect.

9 Likes

For me it’s character + previous experience in other game with healing beam hero. Still, my preferred way to play Mercy is in the sky with Pharah, to stay away from annoying CC effects.

I am a bit worried, that with current Mercy, at some point I would just stop caring at all about teammates, and become one of those healers, who always heal one player and never ever bother to heal someone else. :cold_sweat: With Pharah consistently receiving most gold medals, many times evil question appeared in my mind: “why are you healing your other teammates? they are no good. Keep healing one player you know is always capable of making use of your healing.”

Mercy 1.x met these requirements.

Factually.

4 Likes