Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Oh great, Mercy threads are starting to disappear again (as in 404 Item not found/Deleted)… Guess it is time to check out the Mega-Dump, um I mean Mega-Thread again…

Does that mean that these threads - like the “side chick” one - are being merged into other threads? or just deleted?

That one just flat out disappeared. An since there is no ‘Mercy Mega-Thread #4’ (actually #10), I think they are just going through and deleting Threads they don’t like. Some of the Symmetra ones have disappeared as well.

4 Likes

Mercy is the worst healer in the game rn.

1 Like

Nono,not single beam

Could mean any number of things, best to check if you’re curious.

1 Like

Okay, just so I’m absolutely clear because I know I can post with minimal context, is your rework idea for Valkyrie based on split beams that hit multiple friendlies, or one beam that does both heal and damage boost at a far greater rate than normal?

I dont know of any means of checking

Factually, ultimates are called ultimates because they are the most powerful ability in the hero’s kit. Valkyrie does that match this criteria, as it is less powerful than Resurrect: Mercy’s real ultimate.

Factually, Blizzard has misplaced that title.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t bother man. There’s not a lot of constructive conversation coming from that whole deal

Also, for anyone reading this, I’m back from my Vacation™. I will now be reading all of the replies that I missed while I was gone, so please be patient. I’m currently on post #6979.

Edit: Whoops, this was sent as a reply to someone else rather than just the thread.

Anyway, I’m trust level 2 for the next 24 hours, so I need to wait for others to reply before continuing with my own replies.

As such, I just so happened to notice this reply while I’m down here:

-_-

7 Likes

First, welcome back

One wonders if certain events on twitter are related to your return

…with that out of the way…

Factually, Valkyrie is defined as Mercy’s ultimate.

Symmetra was once defined as a Support. That doesn’t change that she was played like a Defense character.

Labels are arbitrary, and Titanium has made a fairly extensive case as to why he feels the label of “Ultimate” is not suitable for Valkyrie but is suitable for Resurrect. Perhaps instead of pedantically playing semantics, you’d like to address those criticisms?

8 Likes

Factually, when I hit the default key/btton that is mapped to ultimate when i play Mercy, it fires up Valkyrie, not Ressurrect.

Factually, Valkyrie is Mercy’s ultimate

None of what I am saying here is semantics. Purely fact.

1 Like

Sometimes I’m not sure why any of you bother lol

Factually, it is semantics.

1 Like

Factually, no, I am stating fact

Factually, Valkyrie is Mercy’s ultimate

Fact: the thing bound to Q by default is called an ultimate
Fact: an ultimate is the most powerful ability in a hero’s kit

Mercy: facts 1 and 2 contradict each other. Valkyrie is on the ult button, but it is not the most powerful ability in Mercy’s kit. This is a game design problem.

Solutions include:

1. Buff Valkyrie until it’s the most powerful ability in Mercy’s kit
  2. Delete Valkyrie and replace it with a different abilty that would be the most powerful ability in Mercy’s kit
  3. Move Valkyrie to a different part of Mercy’s kit (with changes as needed), while doing the rest of #2.
8 Likes

That does not, however, in any way, shape, or form rebut Titanium’s argument.

The label of Ultimate is, frankly, arbitrary. Keybind an ability to the Ult key, give it a charge meter, and by your definition, you have an Ultimate ability. Hanzo’s Leap, in this manner, could become an Ultimate.

That does not, however, answer Titanium’s criticism that said label is misplaced and that Valkyrie does not function like an ultimate, but rather just a standard ability placed on the Ultimate key, while Resurrect acts like an ultimate bound to a standard ability key.

So yes, you are playing semantics by focusing on his usage of the term ultimate to obfuscate his overarching criticism of how the functionality of these abilities do not appear appropriate to their labels. Such argumentation is not only pedantic but also obtuse to the actual argument being levied, and therefore amounts to little more than a red herring.

Again, if you would like to be respond to his actual argument, you’re free to do so. But otherwise, you’re making a non-argument that frankly is wasting everybody’s time.

Factually, you are playing semantics, because you have principled your argument on examining the literal definition of Ultimate (as it pertains to Overwatch) rather than responding to the functional argument presented by Titanium.

4 Likes

I mean, go for it if you want :stuck_out_tongue: But you’ve got some 1000 posts to respond to, you got better things to do