Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

A response will come out at the end of September because by then they will have their month report that covers the first half of season 12, if Mercy is doing bad in that report, they will take action.

At the moment, as much as people don’t like the sound of it… she is balancing out the way Blizzard wants her to statistically be at.

If it declines any further and her position in the top ten is in jeopardy… then they will take action like they did with Roadhog when he went from top 10 to bottom 5 out of 25 heroes you can pick from due to hook nerf

No… but it was the alternate idea suggested in the megathread that was also liked aside from the Buff/Debuff idea’s since it was easier to balance in terms of features and numbers.

It is either you give an extra element to Mercy that allows her to target enemies or an ability to give her independent mobility.

But at the same time 50HPS was one of her former heal rates until they gave the boost to all healers.

Technically we wouldn’t feel so … if players actually allowed us to heal. They keep playing like we still have Mass Res to resurrect them when their recklessness cost them their lives.

The irony is… I brought this up in the megathread and then more people commented… a lot of people were too hung up on 1.0 and would not look into Res and past versions of Mercy (I did my research to win my arguments).

When people actually calm down to think about it… those who protested to Invulnerable res back in 2017 were right… Invulnerable didn’t feel right… it took the compensation out of res and whilst yes it allows us to survive… it just made the ultimate too strong.

It is like giving McCree invulnerable for Dead Eye to make him survive. The ultimate is already powerful, there was no need to boost it any further.

Both never were a problem before the rework. Mass-rez had a cheesy playstyle and SR bug but both things should be fixed either from the devs or with the counterplay included in the solution here.

It is a small debuff for a few seconds there are other utility abilitys in the game much stronger than that. I dont see how it would be OP others have way better utility than that plus it is a skillshot that needs to hit first before it does anything.

Just admit you didnt read it because valk got deleted in this suggestion.

I doubt she would be OP with the suggestions but I also doubt I can convince you in any way since your comment reeks bias. So instead of repeating others here I just wish you a nice day goodbye. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Then maybe we should ask inconsequential (although not 100% because I would probably like to know the answers lol) questions and maybe get a response in an actual Mercy thread. But I feel like Blizz is allergic to all things Mercy.

5 Likes

It certainly seems like they are XP

Like they dropped a jar in Brookshires and it broke, so they dashed off super fast and are by no means inclined to even go near that isle again.

1 Like

Okay, try again. This time, read the thread.

7 Likes

Mass Resurrect being brought back is a nerf on its own lol.

9 Likes

You have a lot of well-written and reasoned concerns, and it was illuminating reading them. I have a question, though?

What if the next healer had a cleanse?

A cleanse was discussed when brainstorming for Mercy’s E, but it was agreed that Ana needed to retain her status as a Mercy counter (using her antiheals). This would mean that cleanse would be used for a future support.

If there was a healer who could render their teammates immune to status effects, that would keep a lot of heroes in check. Do you think that would be enough to keep Mercy away from the “must pick” status you fear?

Also: I don’t think Pacify would be nearly as good in the low ranks. It’s a skillshot, so players wouldn’t hit it as often (I’d actaully rather it be much more skill-shooty than the version in the op). Players also have much worse gamesense and coordination down there, so even when they do hit Pacify, it will most likely be on the first target they see instead of the most effective target. Their teammates wouldn’t be coordinated enough to take full advantage of a Pacified enemy.

3 Likes

1.0 Res, yes, absolutely, but it’ll streamline her gameplay again making it a bit easier to balance.

Can we talk about how Mercy is basically Roadhog 1.0 now? Her only use is rez while the rest of her is garbage, similar to how Roadhogs hook was the only good thing about him until his rework.

I’ve actually never posted on the forums but I’ve been lurking for a while lol. Honestly I just wanted to thank you for putting so much hard work into spreading the word that a rework is needed. I love the ideas floating around as well. It gives me hope for the future of my favorite hero :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

Mercy still isnt in good shape, and hope soon the devs will see that.

Tbf, Bastion and Mercy both did get a rework, but the other did not get a consequtive nerf and became a must pick which led to a spiral of chaos to being a healer not worth playing anymore.

The problem is that Mercy is in every sense of the word a true healer through and through.

No matter the rank, composition, map or situation… mercy already has a innate viability to be selected as a healer no what state she ends up in. The only thing stopping her from fulfilling healing duties are team mates that deny her help when supporting by diving in and dying

The ability to cleanse was definitely discussed, it would be an ability welcome by most but at the same time, it needs to be on a hero that doesn’t end up as being a sub support for Mercy as a secondary healer assisting her. They need to be a strong individual that doesn enforce Mercy into a heighten pick state because they can cancel out Brigitte and Ana’s status effect.

Also if we want Pacify to be a skill shot, it has to be on the level of sleep darts. Also rather than being a defensive assist it needs to be an offensive assist ability since we already are at a stalemate with defensive assist.

Healing and defensive assist value are the easiest to gain on Mercy as it ties into her Healing value meaning we don’t actually gain that much extra SR or value from those two elements.

Since Megathread one the three values highlighted to set a low, mid and high range Mercy apart was actually.

Offensive assist, damage done/eliminates and resurrect total.

Offensive assist is reliant on the team mate taking damage boost and actually hitting and killing targets which is currently good state because of Valkyrie.

Damage done and elimination, to hit the top percentile of this category, you only need to make around 10 elims and 2000 damage. But this isn’t something you should be actively doing.

As for resurrect, the best mercy are getting around 12 res on average.

As stated in Megathread one, there isn’t really all that much difference in statistical value across the tiers, it actually quite easy for Mercy to equalise in stats between herself and others with key factors like how many res is done on average that sets them apart hence… res abuse.

If pacify was an ability it has to contribute to a significant value that sets her apart from a good or bad Mercy.

And this presents an issue, it make no sense to have the Pacify on the level of sleep dart… it would render the ability a waste of an e slot.

As the suggestion has suggested, the ability is quite easy to use can be used quite frequently and like how 2.1 res was suppose to be ‘skilful’ and would separate the good and bad Mercy, the Pacify ability doesn’t offer enough to differentiate a good or bad Mercy because it is a mere debuff ability that feeds into Defensive assist.

Also whilst it can be blocked by shields etc, it is an ability that has a Symmetra secondary fire size, depending on the speed this might not even matter and if Mercy players know how to flank they would hit the tanks.

We should not be adding in any rankcism because 2.0 in Megathread 1 lead to rankcism, people said I knew nothing I was talking about because I was a mere gold level player, with people debunking me and saying how Single Target Res cannot be abused, how it isn’t important for us to guard corpses, how Mercy was nerf and balanced and i was being apparently paranoid for no reason and wasn’t making a lot of sense. From Megathread 2 onwards, people began agreeing to my rebukes and logic regarding Mercy post rework when I highlighted issues.

Pacify can work but it won’t be the magical, she is finally fixed and balance state that we want her to be.

A lot of the idea will restore mercy to how she use to be but with stronger features which for us who play Mercy she will be fun and challenging again. But because she can debuff damage, it will entice the Tanks and DPS community to hate us more, for other supports who realise that Ana and Moira have their own limitation, more people will once again go mercy again.

Blizzard goal to reduce her pick rate will be foiled and once again she will creep back to pick rate position 1st and 2nd as she becomes to strong and versatile.

Like no jokes… there is no reason not to pick Mercy the only reason we are turning away from her, is because she not outputting enough to support a reckless team and has no Trump card (ultimate) to reverse a situation and make up for the teams immediate mistakes

Okay, so let’s assume that Pacify becomes a skillshot near the same level of sleep dart: it becomes a projectile instead of a hitscan, and it’s size is closer to one of Mercy’s pistol bullets.

Pacify would also count towards offensive assists - like how Zen’s discord orb counts towards offensive assists.

From your perspective, how would this affect Mercy?

gotta say its amazing people have been able to keep this thread active for a whole month its even better that this is getting more and more likes by the day

5 Likes

In my opinion it should be a bit easier to hit than sleep dart since it isnt that powerful. With a sleepdart you can get a pick and take a hero out of the game for a few seconds while with pacify you just make one hero deal less damage.
Making it count towards offensive assists is fine since it is an active ability and Mercy doesnt get many offensive assists anyway.

That’s a point to debate, will it suit Mercy?

One could argue that it is overcomplicating it for a basic hero like Mercy.

By concept she is a living definition of a Healer, a true support in every sense of the word. Her kit is very versatile because it is built upon the concept to heal and to be a healer. She may be basic but she can reflect the skill of the player and the team in ways other heroes can’t

She exist to elevate the team and to support them with every ounce of her Healing ability and potentially denying death through healing

Ana on the other hand requires skill and aim and from a design perspective that is the first thing that you think when you see of hear Ana, it isn’t something that is associated with Mercy.

So to suddenly have a hero who is versatile and strong due to having a basic and simple kit to suddenly have a E Skill that requires a pin point accuracy is a little bit odd.

Also again, if we look at it as a way to differentiate mercy across the skill tier we have to question is it something that will impact her statistical values which are listed below… it’s a good ability and gimmick but I feel it won’t make a major statistical value but it will improve quality of life for healing but it won’t feel great for our fellow DPS who already hate us.

Damage done
Elimination
Resurrects done
Defensive assist
Offense assist
Healing Done
Death average (Don’t think this impacts too much… I mean about 6 deaths is kind of average)

You could have a new Damage reduce stats but the problem doesn’t fall on Mercy but the DPS

How much damage they make when debuff will pool towards Mercy value of ‘Damage reduce’ meaning the opposite of Damage Boost occurs, the enemy DPS or Tanks ability to aim or make kills will be an aspect that affects the value of Pacify.

1 Like

Conversation was going for over a year now, keeping this thread going is just child’s play when we had 11 Megathread and a accumulation of approximately 80,000 to 100,000 comments on Mercy(I am not exaggerating)

9 Likes

I know your not exaggerating just saying its amazing that the post sparked so much conversation to stay afloat for a month, its rare that a thread outside of a mega can do that

4 Likes