Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Mechanical skill can compensate for lack of awareness, if you can shoot your way out of bad situation. It’s a team game, yes, but “Everyone are equal, but some are more equal, than others” kind of team game.

Genji probably best example: if you are good at dodging, you can afford getting in trouble, as your mobility will help you get out, instead of dying for getting there in first place. Orisa is example of opposite: if you got in trouble, you most likely will die, so don’t get in that situation.

No, it can’t.

You can have pinpoint accuracy, but if you can’t even tell what’s happening around you, you’re going to be stuck in Silver or below for your competitive career.

In order to dodge, you need to understand what the threats are. You can’t dodge if you have no awareness.

This is a matter of limits between the two heroes. Because Genji has more mobility, he can get into more “risky” situations than Orisa can; realistically those “risky” situations aren’t so risky when you factor in his mobility.

6 Likes

If you move unpredictably, other team will have hard time shooting you, even if you have no clue where they are. Unless you move that way only in combat, then yes - you’ll be caught off guard and killed.

Ults can be exception to that, but ults have very obvious warnings, so it will take very special skill to not hear “It’s hiiigghh noon!” at distance.

One of first lessons as TF2 Medic for me was: always move unpredictably, even if you don’t see enemies yet. You still can heal, but that movement can save you from distant Sniper, or that sneaky Spy trying to backstab. There are no safe places on the map, only more or less dangerous. I guess players from games like CS learnt same lessons.

If you mean addressing their concerns about how fun she is as a character, no they didn’t.

If you mean addressing Mercy’s balance, since Jeff stated he thought she was fine, she’s been nerfed again. Ergo, his opinion that she was fine must have changed, rendering the statement moot.

8 Likes

I’m now out of likes from skimreading the entire thread, good job tiddly peeps

2 Likes

Whilst I’m here though, let me link the potential rework build I made for if the Devs are intent on not bringing back Mass Rez:

And the slight improvement made to Salvation in the replies:

5 Likes

This must be the work of an enemy stand.

1 Like

Yes, lol she is watching the enemy.

imagine zarya bubble and mercy rez no counter other than dealing 400 damage in 1 second to stop the rez

That’s called teamwork, and should be encouraged.

I see no problem with this, especially considering that Mercy is using Resurrect while the team’s off-tank is still alive, meaning that the majority of Mercy’s team is also still alive.

11 Likes

well it depends i don’t see resurrect being stoppable in this way but it’s not a big deal

my two main questions are why can’t pacify be a true skill shot and why shouldn’t the ult encourage tempo resurrect and punish holding the ultimate for big rezes more directly

for example maybe make the resurrect cast time scale with people rezed so that the mercy would be encouraged to resurrect mid fight

That’s a very painfull idea for the Mercy play which want’s to use Mass Res. Not only is there no reasonable way to make that work properly or fluid, it also can push Mercy into a increasing cast time over which the player has no control.

Can you elaborate on that why you think that it is no true skill shot? Thanks in advance.

It’s already doing that with this idea. The burst heal and the fact that you can use it at any time already encourages mid fight use. The cast time only encourages mid fight use even more, because the chance of you getting killed while ressing is already higher with less teammates, on top of that is again the fact that you can use it at any time which makes the timing more and more difficult, the more colleagues of you die.

It may not seem like it, but that indirectly discouraging of waiting for a big res is not only healthier for everyone, but also good amount of increased skillceiling for Mercy.

Just think of Reinhardt. His Ult has a 0.6s cast time and he get’s stunned a lot while his cast. You could say the same with Zarya for him.

7 Likes

Unsure, if burst heal can compete with few seconds of complete damage immunity. If you have to use resurrect, it usually means that situation is going south and teammates are under heavy fire.

This could be combined, I suppose: alive teammates can’t attack for ~2 s, but receive damage immunity and healed at 300 hps. Makes it possible to save alive teammates from burst damage ult, by using resurrect just at the right moment.

well maybe start with .5 seconds for 1 man rez and increase with the number of people maybe add some about for every person

the idea for pacify now is that it is the size of sym orb and is hitscan either make it a projectile or just a typical hitscan with no hitbox. to compensate for the difficulty maybe pacify could be more impactful

the key word was more directly the 150 burst heal is a good idea but I see it as a way that mercies could get away with big rezes and heal up after. i think this might also be able to scale with allies rezed starting at a 200 ish burst for everyone if only one ally is rezed

not really the enemy rein could block it and if you don’t have rein or dive comp in this meta then good luck but otherwise earthshatter can be blocked or evaded

Define “skill shot”. Do you mean “skill shot” in that it’s a projectile?

It kind of does…

If you fly in to revive four players, you’re probably going to die or be stunned out of the cast time before being able to actually pull the Resurrect off; there aren’t any active allies to protect you while casting.

If you somehow manage to pull the Resurrect off, then you have that same problem yet again; Mercy is vulnerable during this period while her allies are unable to intervene for 2.25 seconds.

There is already plenty of natural punishment for gunning for mass-Resurrections, and there’s already plenty of incentive to activate Resurrect for tempo-Resurrections with that AoE burst heal. This:

Is just redundant, and almost eliminates mass-Resurrections as an option entirely; it takes a situation that already has a very high natural risk, and artificially adds more risk to it.

The goal is to incentivize one option over the other, not to make the successful execution of one virtually impossible.

1 Like

I hope Mercy gets a Halloween skin this year. I really want a Zombie Mercy skin. :weary:

2 Likes

the proposed version of pacify is both hitscan and has a large hitbox. no other weapon of ability in the game has both features. the combination promotes low skill high reward gameplay because it is so easy to hit. either make it a mid speed projectile like a slightly slower orisa shot or a traditional hitscan weapon (no bullet hitbox) by doing the latter pacify would also have a decreases screen clutter having a beam like a widow shot instead of a medium-sized beam necessary in order to more accurately depict the hitbox

The two points here don’t aline for me you say that you get stunned and killed if going for mass rez then carry on to say that you don’t want mass rez to be eliminated as an option. if you will get killed mid rez then it isn’t a viable option.

I personally disagree with your point on Incentivizing options when it comes to ultimates. ultimates like dragon blade and tac visor aren’t built for zoning purposes just like brig’s ultimate isn’t built for using the speed boost to hunt down supports. These uses for ultimates are less than optimal. I don’t see an issue with making huge 5 man rezes a less than optimal use of a mercy’s ultimate as long as an incentive for tempo rezing is added. (such as a shorter cast time for fewer allies revived. if you think about it this style of resurrecting is more in line with mercy’s kit she is a mobile and dynamic healer.

That branching decision making was part of the fun. You had to be very observant and have a good idea of how the enemy would react to your ult, which was completely possible if the player was good enough.

You call it “Resurrect paranoia.”

I call it “enforcing ult economy.”

People didn’t ult spam nearly as much with the threat of mass rez on the field. That was a good thing! They were more likely to play smart, and and pay attention to what the enemy team is doing instead of just hurling their ults at them.

8 Likes

Many people mistake numerical value with actual value

Same mistake is even made with regards to kills.

Many times I’ve noted people celebrating getting a teamwipe when strategically speaking its actually weaker to do that since it allows the opposing team to respawn together which is harder to hold against than a staggered team.

They also need to be in position to use them and Rezzing two makes it harder for an opponent to take over the area to setup for using their Ultimates effectively unlike if you wait for the situation where multiple teammates are down at once allowing an opponent to setup for re-wiping at Rezzed team.

To say that Tempo Rezzing is less effective is to negate how Mercy became a must pick following the Rework because Tempo Rezzing was made easier and the obvious strategy via Rez working in only one way.

8 Likes

Don’t confuse single tempo rez with multiple single resurrects, which were effective, if Mercy was quick. Properly used Valkyrie allowed 4 resurrects back there, which is very close to mass rez, except with extra flexibility of players not being in same spot or dying at the same moment.

2 Likes