Why I could never make it to Masters

The system penalizes those who may have spottier internet than others. I live deep in the mountains and from time to time, for whatever reason, my internet goes out for just a moment, but comes right back. In other games this is usually just a short pause and then things resume. Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes it happens a little.

Unfortunately the current way the system is set up will penalize me even though I was back up and running in less than 10 seconds if the game has just started.

How short-sighted do you need to be to create such a system, and why has there not been a fix for this problem for so long? Why insist on sabotaging the gameplay of so many with this?

Well, time to play a better game: Rocket League!

2 Likes

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

1 Like

It cannot be fixed.
All disconnections NEED to be treated in exactly the same way.
If you have some idea no one has thought of, share it.

3 Likes

So, punish everyone? Got it. That’s stupid. Give a window to come back.

I would argue if someone returns to play out the entire game, that is a pretty good indicator that they are not a malicious leaver. Hence why most competitive games DO actually have systems that do not actively punish quick disconnects. But what do I know?

1 Like

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

2 Likes

Not really. Overwatch is srsly retarded when it comes to handling this. I sometimes have lag-spikes. (my internet freezes for 1 second). Even the game only stops for 1 sec and then resumes, but 5-10 secs after the lag-spike I get KICKED and have to log in again. If this happens at the start of the game (and just the last week I was 2 times in luck of this), I get banned and penalties, for… having a lag spike… are you serious?

And even if he is dc for 10 secs, this shouldn’t be a problem, it’s just hilarious that people defend this.

2 Likes

I think there should be grace or forgiveness program. Like if you do around a dozen backfills in a two weeks. You should get a free pass if you get disconnected or rage quit with no penalty. That’s like gaming community service. Nobody really enjoys backfills when a team is about to lose or team is a nervous wreck.

if you in comps and win a 5vs6, in a long game. The team who’s the underdog gets rewarded more for the extra effort. Or if there is tie in game and lots of real back and forth, both team should walk away with +10 SR for effort.

Sorry but that’s on you for playing when your connection is unstable.
Also read Wyoming’s post above yours.

3 Likes

The problem is that Blizzard needs to think about the 11 other players in that match. It’s not fair for them if their game is ruined because of a leaver (whether it be by intention or not).

The problem with what you propose is that players can figure out the pattern of such a program and then exploit it by false disconnecting (unplug the ethernet cable) every now and then if they have a match they don’t like.

There are no modifications to skill rating adjustment when there is a leaver. There used to be, but it caused a lot of problems back in Season 1.

2 Likes

No one is at a loss if someone drops out in the first minute upon entering a game if they come back within a min. There is absolutely no reason why the system needs to be exactly as it is. It is made by people working a job who don’t have empathy in their decisions.

By penalizing the player who leaves in the early part of a match, that encourages that player to stop playing Competitive and work to correct their behavior (if they deliberately left) or repair the technical issue causing them to crash or disconnect from the game.

3 Likes

Well he sums up how the system works, but that’s not what I’m saying.

1. I don’t understand why I get “kicked”. The game even continues for 5-10 secs after the lag-spike, I know no other game that handles this with kicking the person shortly after it. Maybe it’s to prevent some kind of cheats, it’s still wierd that this game has this behaviour.

2. Why is there even this “break up the game instantly”? I had quite a few matches were the enemies or my team were queuing in teams of 3-5 and if the first point was lost instantly, one of them simply left. Just yesterday I was watching a stream and the same happened to the streamer. I see no reason for the game to even have this 1 min perioud were it ends the game instantly. It’s allready getting abused and punishs poor souls who have no intention of leaving. Just remove it.
    (Some games go around 15 mins, pls give one a good argument why a leaver at the first minute is different to a leaver at the 2nd min (or a disconnect, since the game doesn’t care about the difference))

Actually the behavior of what you are describing is that the game client is DESPERATELY trying to reconnect before it goes into a full “Lost Connection to the Server.”

The problem is that if there is a leaver so early in the match, the odds of the winning that match for that team is extremely reduced. This is a careful balance on what is the most fair for the team without the leaver, the team with the leaver, and the leaver themselves. This policy is explained in detail by Principal Designer Scott Mercer here:

*Note that parts have been edited for changes that have been made since this original post was made.

Source: Overwatch Forums

2 Likes

Don’t play on Wifi or get better internet. I don’t dc for weeks at a time. Also read that post before mine.

I have played Overwatch on multiple locations (with different PC’s) by now and it’s everywhere the same, so it still seems to be a wierd problem on Blizzards part.

I have 800 hours in Overwatch and maybe every 10th game was won by a team who was down 1 players in the middle of the match, so it really doesn’t change much.

That’s actually not a bad argument. Speaking as someone who gets punished for living at the wrong place of the world (it seems :slight_smile: ), I still would enjoy them changing the system a bit, so it isn’t hitting people so hard who have a really solid internet-connection in 9 out of 10 games. (Yes it’s that rare and still by having bad luck I just had an 4 hour ban because of 2 lag-spikes in a row.)

Actually what is likely going on is that your connection is having a middle of the road issue where the specific connection break is occuring on a hub between you and the game server. It is the most common of all disconnections. A WinMTR test can help identify this, but that needs to be in a separate discussion on your own post made in the technical support forum and not here in the general discussion forum.

You have had 1 out of 10 games where there was a leaver and you won? Its possible, but I think you are being a little generous with those odds.

Where do you live?

Somehow you missed the point. No one is at a loss if someone drops out in the first minute and comes back within a minute. No one is at a loss. Do you get my point?

Actually leaving early can quickly decide the flow the match. The first fight in many games will affect every fight thereafter, including the ultimate economy, and which team is able to take control of the payload or objective point first.

I think you are missing quite a lot in your calculations.

How long is there to choose a character? How long is there to “set up” before a match? Surely you are an intelligent person and can see what I am getting at.