Why I can't see Gency happening

Your entire thread is anecdotal and you’re projecting your personal preferences onto Mercy.

3 Likes

Well there’s nowhere that explicitly states Angela was his caregiver in that capacity. All it says is she saved his body, meaning she could’ve just helped on the operation to replace most of his body with cybernetics and it was that one operation and then the caretaking part was over in a single day

I still like Gency. It’s clear they think about each other in the official lore. You can see both of them handwriting letters during the christmas comic, hinting at writing each other. They share quick comments about giving one another chocolates. This all feels like they MIGHT like eachother but both are too scared to do anything about it, it’s not concrete at all,

I think Gency is the weakest ship in the game in that regard, all their actions could be passed off as a friendship just as easily. But I still like the prospect of them being together, that’s just my opinion

3 Likes

After this event it has been proven out that Genji is biggest ditch and snitch character in the entire roster and no wonder Gabriel Reyes is going after Overwatch agents to deliver the stitches.

" I was just a Bystander ", he says in Storm Rising all defensive while Retribution,

Genji: ’ I feel no remorse for the fate of these criminals. ’
Gabriel: ’ At least someone is on my side. ’

Genji: ’ I believe you found an expedient solution, commander. ’
Gabriel: ’ Hear that ? The Ninja agrees with my decision. ’
McCree: ’ You be sure to call him as a character witness then. ’

Genji not only was the person who supported this decision the most but also questioned McCree as why he was so upset mentioning that it was not the first time they had to kill someone.

And now he tries to paint himself as if he had nothing to do with it all and was just a Bystander in the entire incident while half of his talk was about supporting Reyes, antagonizing the assassin, finding " worthy foe for his blade " and being excited for having Talon troops for him to kill.

I was never fan of Hanzo for killing his own kin but after seeing what kind of sly person Genji is, might as well change everything.

He ditched Blackwatch team, he blatantly lied in Storm rising about his role in Venice while McCree was the true bystander and the only guy who was whining in the entire mission. Even so, he remained in Blackwatch.

Anyone who tries to dismiss Genji’s bloodthirsty behavior in Retribution as if it never existed is blatantly bias. He was and still is the son of a criminal clan.

Snitches get stitches and I hope Reaper will take care of him.

5 Likes

Maybe they are exes :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Hmm. I wouldn’t say Genji is faultless, but I would certainly say he was a bystander in Retribution. He didn’t murder the guy, nor did he know what Reyes was going to do. Genjis personal agreement with the decision is irrelevant. He was a bystander to the event: just an indifferent one.

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t think that absolves him of his other actions but he’s rather blameless in Retribution. Even his lines about feeling no remorse for killing Talon agents, while pretty awful, don’t put him entirely at fault. As soon as Reyes killed that man he put their entire team in hot water. The deaths of all the Talon soldiers is squarely on Reyes shoulders, as it should be. No matter how the rest of the team felt about killing them, they were forced to in self defense because of Reyes stupid decision making. And if Reaper is seriously looking for revenge because of that, he has no one to blame but himself.

2 Likes

When an operation fails, everyone takes the blame, this is exactly the first thing we learn in Storm Rising in the interaction between Tracer and Winston.

The entire Blackwatch team could not take this job as mentioned by Tracer for this reason, because even for the faults of the commander, all the team gets the flack.

McCree, Gabriel and Moira ended up suspended ( as McCree showing up in King’s Row was illegal in Uprising ) except the one who suddenly doesn’t talk to his previous team anymore and basically paints himself as he had no hand in the operation.

McCree was the only character who didn’t find enjoyment and did not agree with how things went at the slightest.

How come everyone gets suspended except Genji instead of McCree is a mystery itself unless of course, he snitched and played the victim card which is exactly what he does in his interaction with Tracer.

4 Likes

Blackwatch officially didn’t even exist, though. And Genji, likely, wasn’t officially part of the team, as it would lead to uncovering a lot more, than just one black ops operation going haywire - it would lead to uncovering all kinds of illegal activities of Blackwatch: unsafe genetic research, militarized cybernetic enhancements, hiring criminals(McCree mentions being given a choice between serving sentence in prison or working for Blackwatch).

With his body being almost entirely cybernetic, he could easily pass as “victim” of Blackwatch activities and avoid blame entirely.

Moira got recruited in secret as well and yet she was still with Gabriel and McCree after the Venice incident ?

According to her bio in the official site she got recruited by Oasis after Overwatch got disbanded so despite having hers and Blackwatch’s cover blown she still remained with them. What’s Genji’s excuse for ditching them and acting like he had nothing to do with Venice ?

Blackwatch did everything illegal and yet it did not get disbanded. It exists even in Storm Rising.

His excuse was him not having any documented ties with Blackwatch. After helping to dismantle Shimada empire, he could simply leave. He was involved in Blackwatch activities for his skills in covert operations, but that’s it.

Moira couldn’t leave that easy - funding for her research was coming from Blackwatch, and leaving would make her stop experimenting. So she left, when she found new source of funding.

Blackwatch couldn’t be disbanded, unlike Overwatch, because it did exist only as covert part of Overwatch, and was controlled by Reyes, not Morrison. Besides, they already are operating illegally, so why would they follow order to disband?

There is one question: is Genji officially listed as dead? Or Hanzo didn’t bother to check any public sources? If he is, that would explain him getting away that easy, too.

He is featured in the newspaper and headlines where Blackwatch gets uncovered and he also has a personal ID with a file in the debrief video of his, what documents are you talking about ? He was an agent with a file like the rest and got discovered exactly like the rest and if anything, his existence was known as a person since he was rescued by Overwatch. If anything, he was as known as McCree was with Moira being the only one who was recruited in secret because she got kicked by Overwatch.

The only way for him to be accepted in this Strike team was to deny everything he said in the Venice incident ( aka good job commander now let me kill some more people ) and did in the Venice incident.

Morrison had the power and every reason to kick Blackwatch out and he did suspend them. Except one guy who oddly enough cut his ties with Blackwatch and says " I got nothing with it ".

I was not expecting to find Hanzo remotely likeable because of what he did but after this event as I thought Genji was fine, but no wonder his brother was a " liability " after I saw his stance towards Blackwatch.

1 Like

It’s possible, that there was some “influence” on Morrison, too, but it’s anyone’s guess, if it was Mercy.

Could also be related to his relatively unknown backgrounds: Gabriel is leader of Blackwatch, McCree is one of founders of infamous Deadlocks gang, and Moira is well known controversial geneticist.

Mercy’s influence on Morrison is at bare minimum, as it is said in one of her interactions with the captain when the latter tells Mercy to try and tell him to change mind regarding him dispatching the Strike team to Cairo later on.

Did the Cairo incident happened in the end ? I can’t remember that part sadly.

p.s; Genji’s clan is as famous as it gets. It is not an excuse still, knowing he is trained also.

Last incident in history of Overwatch is explosion at Overwatch HQ. Afterwards Gabriel and Jack are thought to be dead, and Mercy is having a speech as representative of Overwatch. Then official decree is made, that disbands Overwatch and forbids re-activating it under any circumstances.

More likely it was famous, before losing their power and wealth due to Overwatch operations with aid of Genji. At this point, it’s thing of the past. Information from clan would suggest him not being involved in clan’s activities, so that’s another + to let him walk away free.

Can’t make same excuse for McCree, as his gang remained operational, and his involvement is also well-known.

No sane person suddenly excuses a son of a world class criminal clan without further suspicion and on top of that with views he expressed in Retribution towards murder.

Of course, unless he denied everything he said and did, which is basically what I am saying since the very first post of mine – that he ditched Blackwatch and denied everything just like he does towards Tracer.

Just because he wasn’t the one who shot Antonio that doesn’t change what he said to his team in the entire mission and what he is as a person.

What the Strike team was fearing all along was failure because everyone would get kicked, not just Tracer because she was the captain. It is stated in the interactions.

The Blackwatch team was suspended in the same way, not only Gabriel alone.

Except Genji and we see how. Not cool.

We are talking about his interrogation from people, who didn’t know him long enough. From outside view, he would appear most innocent, as “unwanted” son of criminal clan, that didn’t have much interest in crime activities.

Most likely rest of the team also denied everything, but in their case there is more doubt to it, since their dirty past is too fresh and makes them unconvincing.

Their concerns go a bit beyond team itself. At this point Overwatch is under many accusations of corruption, so failing mission not only will mean their removal from active duty, but risks disbandment of Overwatch itself.

I don’t deny, that Genji isn’t very nice person, but he still can fool people, who didn’t work with him long enough. And that was what mattered during investigation of Venice mission, which was first time Blackwatch operation was known to public.

Him not talking with his team anymore speaks volumes because if everyone indeed gave Gabriel away and portrayed themselves as victims then I am pretty sure Genji wouldn’t be the only one out of it.

The point of me mentioning Strike team’s fear is to point out that in failure, everyone shares the punishment. You are basically say it yourself.

When a team gets suspended except ONE while usually everyone shares the blame, you know something is wrong.

And he basically denies his involvement and tries to frame himself as neutral while we played the mission itself and see how much he supported Reyes ( even tried to question McCree’s distress and call it needless whining ). Like, why are we arguing for stuff that are just there ?

Genji loves fighting, he has killed in the past with the rest of Blackwatch team and bails out when the team gets known while framing himself as bystander. What are you trying to excuse ?

1 Like

Thing is, do we even know enough to discuss this aspect? We know Mercy saved Genji, but how? Did she do the initial operations? Was she a part of the rehabilitation? If so, was she a part of the physical theraphy or more a consultant? Was she in any way involved with his mental recovery?

We don’t know any of this, so how can we even discuss this without devolving into pure guessing and speculation.

Tl;dr We don’t have enough lore to say.

1 Like

He is questioning McCree, because literally nothing changed - they still get to kill bunch of bad guys, except this time they have to do it openly. So it kind of makes sense to call it needless whining.

No excuses, just pointing out, that all of them were trying to make themselves look innocent. They are criminals after all. Genji just got lucky with having “cleanest” background(uncertain number of kills in Blackwatch not included) to get away with it.

Not much of a therapy, just her biotic tech, that regenerates damaged tissues. Most likely it’s not Mercy, however, who gave him his cybernetic body. But she clearly prevented his death on the spot - his wounds were too severe to save him by “normal” medical procedures.

Unless McCree and Moira themselves say it as well, there is zero evidence that they behaved just like Genji did. Using his background like that to bail out while we as players know what he said is yikes to look at.

If anything, McCree would have it the worst as the very reason he didn’t get in jail is because of Reyes and Moira to this day, is with Gabriel.

McCree remained with his gang until he got caught and he had to choose between jail or freedom but by following Gabriel, he didn’t betray any of his old comrades. He may be criminal but so far hasn’t given a reason to be a ditch for him to try to be now because of the Venice incident.

1 Like

You have to remember, though, that Genji doesn’t owe Gabriel anything. McCree is free, because of him, Moira gets to experiment beyond edge of the law, thanks to him.

Genji never was loyal to Blackwatch to begin with. Was it due to Blackwatch methods being just as illegal, as criminals they had to deal with, or he simply didn’t feel like he belongs there, is unknown at this point.