Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

Then it’s strictly wins and losses.

Even with PBSR, winning is the important factor by a mile.

but I also want the formula for different SRs for each group.

Like, what is the difference from when a 2800 SR groups plays against a 2700, as compared to the 2800 SR team playing against a 2500 SR.

Gimme the formula!!

1 Like

Why does the exact multiplier matter, and how is that relevant to the topic of handicapping?

1 Like

And seriously? Demanding a formula (as if they could just post X2+X=MMR and everyone would be like ohhhhh I get it) from blizzard to show their work is the most futile quest ever conceived. Have they even commented on the amount of discontent that exists surrounding this? Or do they just pretend like everything is fine because, hey, they already got paid and they have people like you who will defend them no matter what they do.

the exact multiplier matters because the Commissioners of the Tournament are not disclosing how they come to their conclusions. Don’t you see the problem with this?

It’s relevant to handicapping because Cuthbert is an opponent to hidden information. I’m just listing more hidden information.

1 Like

Hi Taz.

Every show up to a chess tournament and they don’t tell you the rules? I haven’t.

1 Like

It isn’t a tournament. A standard matchmaker is not comparable to an actual structured bracket…

That doesn’t make it relevant to handicapping. As for the issue of hidden information… What does it effect? Would knowing the exact multiplier for SR differences somehow change the fact that you gain SR by winning?

Yes. They have flat out said that at no point does the matchmaker take into account your win-rate, and that we’re all matched based on MMR and ping.

2 Likes

That’s not what I asked. And just because it doesn’t take into account your actual win rate, doesn’t mean they don’t take into account stats that reflect win rate. For example, when my team gets stomped, my stats are usually worse than when my team doesn’t get stomped. But it’s pointless to assume anything because they keep everything hidden away. They wouldn’t want us to judge either other based off real facts now, that would be CRAZY.

1 Like

And have you ever even been to a chess tournament? And who goes to a chess tournament and doesn’t know the rules? What does chess have to do with this? You’re just making fallacious arguments, there’s no one here you need to trick into believing you. That’s not why you should be conversing with people.

I’d like to take this time to give my 2 cents here - if your stats are bad when your team is bad, then you’re also just bad. It’s not the easiest to get good stats and do your best when your team is doing poorly, however, it’s very much so possible to do so. Not in every game but it should be so in many of your games. I say this because I climbed out of bronze with, like, a 46% WR which would only occur if my SR gains were significantly more than my losses.

Anyway, I don’t know why everyone is so angry about this. Sometimes you lose. If you’re really “mad” at the system, then game it. Back when we had Mercy 1.0, it was made clear you could farm stats and climb without a great WR. This applies for all characters. Farm stats in your losing games.

1 Like

Two things:

1. Yes, it does, because they’ve stated how you’re matched up.
  2. Stomping someone doesn’t automatically mean your stats are going to be great, so that wouldn’t be an effective way to, “handicap.”

This is also evidence that, if given every measurable statistic, people will ignore winning for the sake of stat-padding. Imagine the forums if literally everyone just did this.

1 Like

This is very true. Asking Blizzard for this type of information is just asking for them to send their game to an early grave.

even though everyone knows how the bishop moves, the tournament director still tells you

1 Like

How to play a game isn’t the same as how we calculate your SR.

I’ll jump in on this. It sounds like you are asking “if the system works by looking at individual stats and uses this information to determine what rank you should be at, and if a player knew this formula, would they rank up further?”

The answer in my case is absolutely yes. Whatever metrics they use to determine the skill of a player is off, way off .

My apologies if this wasn’t what you were saying in the above comment.

1 Like

It’s almost entirely determined by wins and losses if you perform consistently, and just play to win. How is that way off, and what do you think would be a more accurate measurement for a game about teams completing objectives?

Never-mind I thought you were saying something else.

1 Like

I can’t believe there’s still people making the fallacious comparison to not being told how a chess piece moves. The game tells you plenty about what the controls are and what abilities each character has. It even tells you the rules for each game mode. I am a little annoyed that they don’t list the exact numbers for damage and such, but that’s relatively typical for video games and player documentation is often quite comprehensive anyway.

[quote=“Tactician-11177, post:201, topic:116369”]
even though everyone knows how the bishop moves, the tournament director still tells you[/quote]

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re confusing reality, with what you think reality should be. You’ve probably never been to a chess tournament, but you feel like that’s how they are run, so you just make a declaration as if it was factual information. Go read a book.

Also. Again. We aren’t talking about chess. Do you think this is a chess website? Do you know where you are?

1. No they haven’t. That’s why buddy dude over there is demanding a formula.
  2. That’s my entire point.
1 Like