Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

lemme stop ya right there, If you go to a chess tournament, they tell you how the Bishop moves. Who in their right mind would enter a chess tournament without knowing how the Bishop moves. tsk tsk tsk, that is the wrong question.

If you want to run a chess tournament, you must state the rules.

allow me to drive home the point. Even if the NFL conducted a survey on the entire population of the world and found out that everyone knew how to get to the super bowl, The NFL is still responsible for informing everyone how to get to the super bowl. Despite the fact that they already know.

1 Like

Continuing with the Super Bowl analogy. In football, and other sports, you have a factor that has nothing to do with the players on each team.

You have the officials, the referees. One bad call by them can significantly change the game. MMR and the matchmaker are like these referees. The matchmaker making a poor match-up decision can drastically effect the outcome of the game.

In a sport, you can at least challenge the call. In Overwatch, not only can you not challenge a bad call, you can’t even witness the procedure that went into making the call in the first place.

1 Like

there is no thing as unbalanced match if you look at both sides of the equation. 6 top 500 players can play against 6 bronze players and the SR (ELO) system would handle this. You don’t even know what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

What? Overwatch gives you the rules. If you win a match, you gain SR. If you lose a match, you lose SR. And how is any of this anywhere near comparable to running a chess tournament without even knowing how to play?

This is part of the problem I mentioned earlier… Which part of hidden MMR are you even making this comparison to? Because Blizzard have already told us how it works. What they haven’t told us is every single calculation, which if you want to make an NFL comparison with, would be much closer to MVP voting than it would getting to the Super Bowl.

Okay? That has nothing to do with MMR specifically, and it’s not exactly common. That’s just a problem inherent in matchmaking systems. Every matchmaker tries to balance matching you based on rank with matching you in a reasonable amount of time.

They’ve told us the procedure. The procedure is well-known.

1 Like

nice try, how much SR please

the chess players know exactly what will happen with a win, overwatch players don’t.

sauce?

1 Like

Now we’ve switched topics to PBSR, which is still not much of an issue. If you play consistently well your wins and losses will be 22-24 in either direction.

Is that what you’re concerned about? That SR gains and losses can vary? Because that isn’t a problem with MMR. That’s pretty much just a problem with the fact that SR is displayed numerically, so you’re tracking it closer than most other games that just use visual ranking systems.

Also, we do know. You’ll go up in SR.

This is straight from Kaplan.

In Overwatch, whether your MMR goes up or down is contingent on winning or losing. But there are a number of factors that determine how much that rating goes up or down. For example, what map you’re playing on and whether you were attacking or defending is factored in. We know the win rates on attack/defend on all of the maps and we normalize accordingly. Not all wins and losses are equal. We also look at your individual performance on each of the heroes you played during the match. Everyone has better and worse heroes and we have tons of data showing us what performance levels should be like on those heroes. We also look at your opponents and whether or not their matchmaking rating is higher or lower than yours. These are just a few of the things that are considered when determining how your skill should go up or down. At no point in MMR calculations do we look at your win/loss ratio and win/loss ratio is never used to determine who to match you with or against. We are not trying to drive your win/loss percentage toward a certain number (although the fact that so many people are at 50% win rates makes us extremely happy). All the system does when it comes to matching on skill is attempt to match you with people of a similar number.

source of the quote on the forums

That’s a pretty solid overview of why the conspiracy is asinine, and how basic the actual function is.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s well-known vagaries. The system matches people up based on a value (MMR) to try to get teams which have as close to a 50% chance of winning as possible.

Anyone who’s ever had a bad match knows the matchmaker isn’t reliable. Furthermore, we don’t know HOW it arrives at this 50% chance assessment. So no, we don’t know the procedure. The procedure is not well known at all. Maybe you need to look up the definition of “procedure”.

Just because it’s in other matchmaking systems is not a valid reason for it to exist in Overwatch. Your reasoning is flawed.

Really, so the “equation” accounts for people who throw to lower their SR for easier matches later on (for comp points)? Does the “equation” make allowances for people who are boosted? Yeah, they’ll fall eventually, but they will make their random teammates lose SR in the process.

No, of course it doesn’t. It’d take too much time in resources to fix that flaw.

That example is pointless to this discussion as it would never happen. The problem arises from the wide variance in skill between people within the gold and plat ranks. You are the one who has a lack of knowledge.

If you can’t understand analogies, then please go educate yourself before replying.

1 Like

can you elaborate any more on this please? Specifically the exact numbers for each map?

Funny that you should mention that, considering I just posted a quote from Kaplan specifically talking about how you’re matched based on MMR, and your win-rate is a byproduct of the fact that you’re getting matched against players of similar skill.

Yes we do. You get matched based on your MMR; plain and simple. When you start to get around your true MMR, your true skill rank, you’re more likely to be around 50%. That isn’t the system trying to get you at 50%; that’s you finding your actual rank. That’s how any ranking system works.

The opportunity for flawed match-ups is inherent in the concept of matchmaking itself; not just in any one game. You didn’t even read what I said.

Nope. I could probably find that information, but I don’t consider it relevant. You asked how MMR worked, and I gave you information. If you want to believe that we need to know the exact win-rates of every single map to understand that, “winning is good,” then go for it. It has no practical impact.

I’m not arguing for practicality’s sake. I’m arguing for piety’s sake.

Well, have fun with that.

oh, I am

Sometimes when I play basketball at the park, instead of picking teams, we draw lots bwhahahahah grrrrrr

3 Likes

Let me use smaller words.
We
Don’t
Know
How
MMR
Is
Calculated

Thus, we don’t know the procedure. We have a vague picture of the end results. That is all.

Ideally, yes. In reality you could have a less than 50% win rate (with a calculated 50% win chance for a match) because the matchmaker is placing worse players on your team, while it places better on the other team. This method would also allow the matchmaker to get what it projects to be a 50% win chance for both teams.

I don’t know how the matchmaker arrives at this determination. Only the devs know this, and they aren’t sharing specifics. We do know the 50% win chance for each team is a goal of the matchmaker from the latest release about how grouping doesn’t affect your SR change.

It’s not forcing a 50% win rate for a player in general. It’s a 50% win chance for each team in a specific match. That is what the system is trying to achieve.

2 Likes

That
Isn’t
What
You
Said

You said we don’t know how the matchmaker arrives at a 50% chance for winning. We do.

No, that’s how it works.

Okay, maybe this will be simple enough: You are matched based on your rank. Period.

No. That’s not how it works. I can be on a bronze smurf and still face bronzes even if I’m far better. You get matched by SR.

I want readers of this thread to ask: what is Match Making Rating? What does it do?

The truth is that Match Making Rating doesn’t help players, it only helps the game. MMR makes Overwatch marketable. And it gives Overwatch players an intrinsically worse experience than they would have without it.

5 Likes

The first part of that procedure is calculating your MMR. The rest of the matchmaking is pointless without this first step. If you don’t know one step of a process, then you can’t know the process in its entirety.

This seems obvious. What exactly about it don’t you understand?

Without knowing how said rank is calculated, this statement is meaningless. You might as well say we’re matched based on our Weeble-Wobble Score.
Period.

2 Likes

Lets be honest, all the people complaining they don’t know how MMR works are players who think they should be higher ranked than they are. If any one of you really think you are better, post a VOD of your gameplay and let people review. Thats the best litmus test

You’re literally giving us the definition of handicapping. Where does your confusion start, how can I help you understand? Because you’re not making an informed argument, you’re just picking a side based on bias and then because you assume you’re right, (because why wouldn’t you be right?) you do the whole confirmation bias nonsense.

Handicapping, in sport and games, is the practice of assigning advantage through scoring compensation or other advantage given to different contestants to equalize the chances of winning. The word also applies to the various methods by which the advantage is calculated.

EQUALIZE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.

You guys aren’t even arguing semantics, the people who come in here and say it isn’t a thing just have some weird fan boy obsession and refuse to back down in their defense of Blizzard. Which is just insane because you can still be a fan, and discuss reality. You don’t have to get all insecure and try to imagine up nonsense.

Can you make a “Too Long, Didn’t Read”?

You wrote an essay