Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

would you consider continuing this discussion off the forums? I’d set up a throw away email, and we can really hammer out ideas and philosophy?

I have no interest in hearing any more of your ideas or philosophy. You hurl insults whenever someone disagrees with you, refuse to even consider other viewpoints, and spam the same topics incessantly. Nobody’s stopping you from continuing, but I will continue to point out falsehoods and what I see as flaws in your demands, were they to be implemented.

On a personal note it’s extremely creepy that you continue to try to get voice and email contact information from me. It’s not going to happen, just like the dev team will never provide the formula for MMR to you. If you want an idea of how it works, look up Microsoft’s TrueSkill system - almost definitely not what they’re using exactly, but it is a similar multiplayer competitive ranking system (unlike Elo or Glicko, which are designed for 1v1 competition.)

edit: I forgot to mention another reason - the way you ignore thoughtful feedback and cherry-pick comments to try to further your agenda/echo chamber makes genuine discussion impossible.

you don’t understand what I want. I don’t really care how it works, I just want it to be public. Name another contest where the ranking structure is kept hidden.

1 Like

Addiction is quite real, and the fact that it is “in our heads” does nothing to change its reality as a phenomenon. The industries that thrive on addiction are myriad, and they get most of their business from heavy users who they exploit as much as they legally can. For more information on the subject, read “Irresistible” by Adam Alter.

No matter how much I read, I will never waiver from my opinion. Once you buy a cigarette, that cigarette is yours, it no longer belongs to the tobacco company. Their hands are clean.

If tobacco was magically outlawed across the entire world, would you then blame the plant?

This is a misunderstanding on why the tobacco companies got in trouble. They knew that nicotine in tobacco was and still is addicting, they also knew that doctors were looking into the lung cancer phenomenon and the link to those that were smoking and around those who smoked and the increase of likely hood and that they intentionally withheld or at the very least quiet that information to consumers.

1 Like

sure false claims about products should be taken to court

1 Like

I’m quite close to quitting the game at this stage. For the second time this season I go on a short win streak up to diamond, and for the second time it’s followed by an absolutely colossal losing streak where most games are unwinnable and have obvious smurfs and mismatches. It’s a f****** joke and it makes the game horrible to play.

2 Likes

Which is why the Surgeon General Warning on the packs are now required.

Addiction is quite real, addictive methodology is quite real. It is a stimulus based addiction- the “Oh goodie” moments that make you want more moments.

1 Like

I’ve always found it odd that people complain about facing better opponents when they climb in rank.

but in the end, it’s still up to me whether I smoke a cigarette or not, correct?

Let’s put it differently.

You are currently addicted to this forum. If you are not addicted then not looking (or even thinking about how much you want to look and post) at this forum at all for 48 hours will be easy.

To prove you are not addicted, all you need to do is show the forum has no hold on you.

If you come back pretty much immediately after the time you set is up, then that is a sign of comfort addiction.

1 Like

Been stated multiple times - It is obvious when you lose a match because the other team is so good, or because your teammates are bad, or because the teams are extremely unbalanced. It’s also obvious when you lose a match yet the opposite is true : your teammates were good the other team just played better - when you cross into a new threshold the matches are lopsided and are forced losses due to completely unbalanced teams

Your matchmaking sucks and you can get on here and deny it all you want but that won’t change it. Your ship is going down.

1 Like

Now that you are informed and know the risks, it is your decision. The issue of fault was misrepresentation to a group of people that did not know better. And the targeting of teens with some of their marketing knowing once addicted they would continue.

If, as an adult with all your faculties, choose to smoke now, it is your decision and you take your own risks, which makes it hard for you to go after the tobacco companies on the tobacco alone.

But this is digressing.

but I don’t blame the forums

Doubleplusgood fellow Kaplanite, keep the sheep in check for Big Jeff. Even if they’ve uncovered our MMR ploys, keep them arguing and playing so we can continue collecting data.

1 Like

Some on the forums like to miss the obvious.

Like how getting into a higher rank means better opponents.

So they intentionally form unbalanced teams? How? And why is it so targeted, rather than systemic?

How is it my matchmaking?

I think you miss assign the “blame” in this. We are pointing out that the system is designed with addicting nature of humans in mind.

The sudden gratification of SR at the end of a good match, the burning “Got to get that back” after a roll of SR losses.

Never mind that you should be at 2300 and playing 2300 people… lets make it a 50% match as far out as possible so you rubber band between “feeling good” and “gotta chase it”

1 Like
  • Wants to play at your actual skill level against other similarly skilled players.
  • Gets upset when you win 50% of your games.
  • ???

nothing nefarious is going on, I can assure you

anywho, how do you suggest they do Comp mode?